Clear bra cost for the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 11:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Default Clear bra cost for the GS?

Merry Christmas everybody.

I'm about 3 weeks and 1500 miles into my GS, and I've already noticed some VERY minor chips. One very small one on the hood, and a couple others down low on the bumper. I'm a little concerned with it being so new and this happening already, the silver really doesn't do a good job hiding chips.

SO, I'm thinking about having a clear bra installed. I got a quote from a very respected local installer for $1200, that includes full bumper, first 24" of the hood, fenders, & mirrors. No headlights. Xpel Ultimate self healing. This guy is well respected in forums, I have no doubt he'd do an awesome job but that strikes me as being really expensive.

Thoughts? This car is a lease so I don't want to go nuts, but I do take really great care of my cars and its not impossible I may want to buy it at the end. $1,200 is too much...but I'd probably happily pay $700...

What have you guys paid that have had it done? Any installers in MD, DC & VA you recommend?
Old 12-26-12, 01:05 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my '08 GS done for about $600 but only 1/3 of fenders and hood with full front bumper and mirrors. $1200 sounds more like doing the full hood...seems high to me.
Old 12-26-12, 01:40 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Merry Christmas everybody.

I'm about 3 weeks and 1500 miles into my GS, and I've already noticed some VERY minor chips. One very small one on the hood, and a couple others down low on the bumper. I'm a little concerned with it being so new and this happening already, the silver really doesn't do a good job hiding chips.

SO, I'm thinking about having a clear bra installed. I got a quote from a very respected local installer for $1200, that includes full bumper, first 24" of the hood, fenders, & mirrors. No headlights. Xpel Ultimate self healing. This guy is well respected in forums, I have no doubt he'd do an awesome job but that strikes me as being really expensive.

Thoughts? This car is a lease so I don't want to go nuts, but I do take really great care of my cars and its not impossible I may want to buy it at the end. $1,200 is too much...but I'd probably happily pay $700...

What have you guys paid that have had it done? Any installers in MD, DC & VA you recommend?
I did mine 3M full bumper, partial hood and fenders. mirrors, door handles, door edges, side skirts all for $900.worth every penny.
Old 12-26-12, 04:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah that's how I feel, $1200 would be more reasonable for the full hood and fenders. I got two more quotes this time for 3M VentureShield, $700 and $900.
Old 12-26-12, 06:32 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$995 - Front bumper, partial hood and fenders, front A pillars, area above windshield and door mirrors.

$395 - Door edges, door cups and rear bumper applique.

All of the above done with 3M film.

As said above, worth every penny and cheaper than repainting the car after you get all of the rock chips you will get unless you never drive the car..........and what would be the point of that. .
Old 12-26-12, 06:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Do you have e 3M Venturehield or the Scotchguard?

The guy who quoted me $695 for the job quoted $1300 for the whole hood, fenders, as well as the a pillars, atop the windshield, the door edges, the rear bumper top, etc.

If I do it's think I will just do the $695 that includes 30" of the hood, bumper, forward of the fenders, headlights, mirrorsIf it weren't a lease I'd go for the full hood and fenders, but the cheaper kit gets me the protection I want and I can probably better deal with the line than the ugly chips.

He seems pretty well respected around the forum world too, ProShield in Sterling, VA
Old 12-26-12, 07:09 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Do you have e 3M Venturehield or the Scotchguard?

The guy who quoted me $695 for the job quoted $1300 for the whole hood, fenders, as well as the a pillars, atop the windshield, the door edges, the rear bumper top, etc.

If I do it's think I will just do the $695 that includes 30" of the hood, bumper, forward of the fenders, headlights, mirrorsIf it weren't a lease I'd go for the full hood and fenders, but the cheaper kit gets me the protection I want and I can probably better deal with the line than the ugly chips.

He seems pretty well respected around the forum world too, ProShield in Sterling, VA
If you're referring to me, I have 3M. The kit varies based on each vendor and how much coverage they want to offer. The installer is as important as the quality of the materials used IMO.

I've seen cars with the complete hood and fenders done and depending on the color it makes it look like the car was hit and resprayed. It's overkill in my opinion, it's a car after all, not a baby .

I've had clear bra's installed on all of my cars for the past 8 years. I keep a car for 2 years on average and will not own a car without it.
Old 12-26-12, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That makes me feel better about spending the money on one thats a lease lol!

I penciled in an appointment, keep ya'll posted...
Old 12-26-12, 07:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

That makes me feel better about spending the money on one thats a lease lol!

I penciled in an appointment, keep ya'll posted...
If you need or want your windows tinted, you might ask your installer if he offers a discount for having both done at the same time. I had the windows in a new car tinted a month or so ago (3M) and my installer offered a discount for doing both. I didn't get the clear bra but could have saved some $$'s if I'd had it done.
Old 12-26-12, 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've been thinking about that, thanks for the advice...
Old 01-05-13, 06:06 AM
PTmobile
Driver

$1200 is way high for that coverage. I install the same film and usually offer the full hood, lights, and full fenders in with what he did and still do well. You will be much happier with the Xpel Ultiamte film though. I used to install Ventureshield until Xpel and Suntek came out... both films have self healing top coats which prevent staining and bug etching.
Old 01-05-13, 07:44 AM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sw10es,

the guy who did mine js a well reputable ppf installer and actually train other ppf installer to install 3m products. i can meet you in person to show you his worm kn my GS.

PM me if you wanna meet.
Old 01-05-13, 01:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've decided on a guy, but thanks! I'm taking it down tomorrow morning to be done. $695 for the bumper, hood, headlights, and 30" up the hood and fenders. The quotes to do the whole hood and fenders are in the realm of what I was quoted for the original Xpel quote. I really debated that, but with it being a lease I really shouldn't even be doing this anyways so I wanted to keep the cost down.

This guy is very well regarded all over the "forumverse" I really want to get it done ASAP because it seems like every day theres another chip...
Old 01-05-13, 01:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I've decided on a guy, but thanks! I'm taking it down tomorrow morning to be done. $695 for the bumper, hood, headlights, and 30" up the hood and fenders. The quotes to do the whole hood and fenders are in the realm of what I was quoted for the original Xpel quote. I really debated that, but with it being a lease I really shouldn't even be doing this anyways so I wanted to keep the cost down.

This guy is very well regarded all over the "forumverse" I really want to get it done ASAP because it seems like every day theres another chip...
Are you getting the windows tinted or just the clear bra?
Old 01-05-13, 01:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just the clear bra, I'm still on the fence about the tinting...

Quick Reply: Clear bra cost for the GS?