GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Clear bra cost for the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 05:45 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsardar
the reason why i choose 3M scotchgard PPF (paint protection film) aka clear bra is because it has a clear coat on the film and which you can wax over it and as well it won't start turning yellow over time period.

at first i thought the same as why spend so much more money on 3M product whereas as i can get other PPF cheaper and do the same job but then i read and saw first hand what happens to the PPF over time versus 3M PPF.

anyways there is a reason why premium luxury brand companies choose 3M PPF over any other brand films.
3M actually is one of the lower end films out there in quality. The only reason why they have some car companies using them is they are a big corporataion and have been around the longest... yet they havent updated their film in years. Their film has a lot off orange peel in it, the adhesive is too strong (almost impossible to remove), poor customer service, and tends to crack after years of exposure to hot weather. Look at any of the top installation shops around the country and none of them use 3M. There are numerous films out there that are better. Suntek and Xpel Ultimate are two of the best I have seen through testing. Both have self healing top coats... scratches and scuffs heal when the car is parked in the sun. They are also much more resistant to yellowing than 3M is, and are perfectly smooth... so less visible on the vehicle. 3M also has a 5 year warranty where as other films carry a 10 year or even lifetime warratny (Avery Nano Fusion).

By the way clear bra is the term for what it is... it is associated with all brands... not just 3M.
Old 01-24-13, 06:56 AM
InfamousQ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best investment for you car. Especially if you live in an area that has snow & moronic city councel who opt to dump rocks & sand on the road instead of plowing the roads to clear the snow...
Old 01-24-13, 07:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

You can see the line across the hood, but you get used to it and it doesn't look unnatural, it follows the contours of the hood and looks like its supposed to be that way. I too would have gotten the full hood and full fenders but the cost was prohibitive.

I am very **** about my car, and I do not regret my decision to do the clearbra the way I did at all.

As for 3M being "lower end" and "full of orange peel", mine is 3M Ventureshield and the peel matches the peel of the paint perfectly. The product itself has no peel whatsoever, its totally smooth I saw it before it was installed.

VERY few installers here use anything other than 3M. I did find one Xpel installer, but he wanted $1,200 just do do 1/3 the hood and fenders and no headlights which was too much.

As for warranty...are you really going to keep your car longer than 5 years? And if the film does yellow after say...7 years you can always remove it...or even replace it depending on the cost differential upfront (Xpel would have cost me $500 more than the Ventureshield).

Food for thought.
Old 01-24-13, 10:18 AM
AJBSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost?

What are you all seeing as far as cost for a clear bra for the hood, front bumper, and mirrors?
Old 01-24-13, 10:27 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal1984
I have the same concerns with my Starfire Pearl. I was quoted $1,499 by a very well know installer that does most Porsche dealers in So Cal. $1500 gets me Xpel Ultimate for the full hood, full fenders, full bumper, front of mirrors, door edges, and top of the rear bumper (similiar to the lexus rear bumper appliqué). The best part is he wraps all edges so you see no lines, plus Xpel has a 10 year warranty for parts and labor. The lines are my biggest complaint so I am considering it, but $1,500! Damn! I have another quote for a different installer for a 3M partial hood, partial fender, full bumper and mirrors for $499, I just don't want to regret not getting the full treatment down the road.
I would go with the 3M. Save your $$$ for other mods. I have 3 different car with 3M clear bra installed and have no problem with peel, yellow at all. It even save the hood from a large rock hitting just damage the clear bra and some dent (already fix by dent wizard).

I have it installed on 2 vehicle by independent shop and the third one at Lexus dealer all for $500/each. They all have paperwork for lifetime part & labor warranty. The oldest had been 4 years and still looking good.
Old 01-24-13, 11:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJBSC
What are you all seeing as far as cost for a clear bra for the hood, front bumper, and mirrors?
I paid $700 for 1/3 hood, fenders, full bumper, mirrors and headlights. 3M Ventureshield.
Old 01-24-13, 12:12 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

You got your money worth, Steve. Looks good! They did a good job.
Old 01-24-13, 12:16 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, the difference between Xpel and 3M is minimal. As a matter of fact, I think 3M might even own Xpel now? The key is how good the installer is. My last car had a clear bra and my new one will too.
Old 01-24-13, 12:18 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
IMO, the difference between Xpel and 3M is minimal. As a matter of fact, I think 3M might even own Xpel now? The key is how good the installer is. My last car had a clear bra and my new one will too.
I don't know about Xpel but 3M now owns Ventureshield.
Old 01-24-13, 12:26 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I don't know about Xpel but 3M now owns Ventureshield.
I think you are right ... let me clarify ... XPEL makes the patterns. My last car used XPEL pattern and 3M material. The 3M worked fine on my daily driver in Southern CA. The film never yellowed.

I always recommend having installers put the film in the door handle pockets too. The paint in there would otherwise get scratched up bad by fingernails.
Old 01-24-13, 12:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the installers have a laser cutting machine, they use rolled product and the computer program to cut the patterns out of the film. So I suppose you could use Xpel patterns and 3M films.

Right, 3M owns Ventureshield but Xpel is still different. All things equal I would have chosen Xpel probably but the 3M was way cheaper and I liked this installer a lot.

Originally Posted by bnlexus
You got your money worth, Steve. Looks good! They did a good job.
Thanks!
Old 04-10-13, 07:37 AM
Stinker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW10ES
For those of you who would like to see pics:

http://proshield.smugmug.com/Cars/EX...686016&k=Riasb

Go to the last page of the album, that's my car. The did an RX and an ES before also and they're in there.
Looks awesome! How long did the install take? The color of my GS is Nebula Gray and I just bought my wife a black ISC 250. Strongly considering getting the clear bra on both vechicles. You think I could get a better deal if I get both done at the same time? I live in Upper Marlboro, MD but work in DC.
Old 04-10-13, 08:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It took about 3-4 hours probably...

They might do a group discount, give them a call and see.

As an update, I had a bird bomb etch the surface of the Ventureshield material on my hood, tried Plexus and some light polish and it would not come out. I found a tip online that a hair dryer would make blemishes disappear like magic. I was skeptical but tried it, and it worked 100%! Pretty cool material...
Old 04-10-13, 08:11 AM
Bayman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went to Proshield for my RX350 upon Steve's recommendation. Dave took his time took his time and did a great job. I am very pleased with the results. He works on many high end cars and was finishing up working on a GTR when I arrived. I got the premium with the wear and tear package and it took about 6 hours. Highly recommended!
Old 04-10-13, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Cool! Glad you were happy...

Quick Reply: Clear bra cost for the GS?