Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Fourth Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A few questions about my GS

Old 12-17-12, 06:23 PM   #1
gs3andahaf
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default A few questions about my GS

The light for the glovebox is *very* dim. Is there a replacement part? It's nearly unusable.

Which parts of the interior are leather? Giving it the "smell test", it would seem only the perforated seat areas, and not all the non-perforated leather looking areas.

Finally, the Lexus apps seem a bit buggy. In fact, I'm not sure the pandora works at all. I registered my account, and set it all up, but the car states that I do not have a pandora account. Odd! Looking at the reviews on the Apple AppStore, it seems the enform app has pretty poor reviews (1.5 / 5) with most stating its buggy and / or broken. I'm using an iPhone 5 with the latest version of iOS. Looking at Lexus.com, it is stated to be compatible.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
gs3andahaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 06:50 PM   #2
dseag2
Lexus Champion

I can answer Question #2. The top of the dashboard is NuLuxe, which probably is better for durability purposes. I believe the trim of the dashboard that surrounds the gage cluster is leather. The seating surfaces are leather, but the backs of the seats, door coverings and armrest over the console are not. You can kinda feel the difference. The non-leather surfaces feel more spongy and smooth than the seating surfaces.

Sorry I can't help you with the others. I rarely use the glovebox, and I don't use the car to commute so I haven't bothered with the Enform apps.

dseag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 06:57 PM   #3
gs3andahaf
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseag2 View Post
I can answer Question #2. The top of the dashboard is NuLuxe, which probably is better for durability purposes. I believe the trim of the dashboard that surrounds the gage cluster is leather. The seating surfaces are leather, but the backs of the seats, door coverings and armrest over the console are not. You can kinda feel the difference. The non-leather surfaces feel more spongy and smooth than the seating surfaces.

Sorry I can't help you with the others. I rarely use the glovebox, and I don't use the car to commute so I haven't bothered with the Enform apps.
That was my thought too unfortunately. Coming from cars that offered full leather interiors it's a bit disappointing to see fake leather on 65% of the surfaces that appear to be leather. It's a bit... unbecoming for a brand like Lexus in my humble opinion.
Old 12-17-12, 07:01 PM   #4
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

sydtoosic

i also have an iphone 5. i'm having no problems at all with the enform app. try lexusdrivers.com and register. then go to enform on the lexus drivers site and register, then link all the accounts... pandora, heart etc. to your iphone. let me put it this way, everything that looks vinyl...is. about your GC light, you can get an LED bulb and brighten that up.
Old 12-17-12, 07:12 PM   #5
gs3andahaf
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydtoosic View Post
i also have an iphone 5. i'm having no problems at all with the enform app. try lexusdrivers.com and register. then go to enform on the lexus drivers site and register, then link all the accounts... pandora, heart etc. to your iphone. let me put it this way, everything that looks vinyl...is. about your GC light, you can get an LED bulb and brighten that up.
Thanks for the feedback. I have followed the instructions for enform, and even had a friend of mine with a properly setup 2013 GS take a look at it, and he wasn't able to figure it out. Dealer it is!

Regarding the leather, it's unfortunate. Not completely unexpected in this price range, just unfortunate. To that point, are all aluminum-looking surfaces (i.e. on the steering wheel trim) actually aluminum or are they painted plastic?

Now, regarding the GC light, any idea on the part / size? It does seem to be an LED, but it's really dim. For example, if I have some items in there they are simply not visible. Definitely the dimmest GC light I've seen. I replaced the trunk light with an LED, and it made a *huge* difference. I was gob-stopped with how dim the trunk was stock.
Old 12-17-12, 07:17 PM   #6
dseag2
Lexus Champion

If you have an F Sport, the real aluminum trim is on the doors, across the dash and over the cupholders. The rest (like on the steering wheel) is painted plastic. I read in a review that the silver trim around the CD slot is real aluminum, but it looks like plastic to me. I would tell you to thump it to do a test but the real aluminum dents easily.

dseag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 08:23 PM   #7
LexFather
Trader Score: ()

Not much I can help with...will try to do some LED searching and replacing
Old 12-17-12, 09:29 PM   #8
gs3andahaf
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueprint View Post
Not much I can help with...will try to do some LED searching and replacing
Thanks BP. If you can find anything out about the GC light, and how to brighten it, I'd really appreciate that.
Old 12-18-12, 08:57 PM   #9
williakz
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs3andahaf View Post
I replaced the trunk light with an LED, and it made a *huge* difference. I was gob-stopped with how dim the trunk was stock.
What did you replace the stock bulb with? Was it tricky to swap out?
williakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 09:20 PM   #10
gs3andahaf
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz View Post
What did you replace the stock bulb with? Was it tricky to swap out?
It was actually really easy to do. There is a cover over the light which is near the front of the trunk, on the ceiling. Remove it, pull out the existing bulb, and insert the new LED.

The light I used is a Sylvania "LEDriving" Premium White LED Light 168/194/2825. The serial number is "0 46135 34737 5", and its power requirements are "12V, 1W".

Here is a photo (not mine)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-18-12, 10:09 PM   #11
stick22
Driver

Quote:
It was actually really easy to do. There is a cover over the light which is near the front of the trunk, on the ceiling. Remove it, pull out the existing bulb, and insert the new LED.

The light I used is a Sylvania "LEDriving" Premium White LED Light 168/194/2825. The serial number is "0 46135 34737 5", and its power requirements are "12V, 1W".

can you pull out the bulb while it is on?
stick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 10:17 PM   #12
gs3andahaf
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick22 View Post
can you pull out the bulb while it is on?
Sure, of course. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you'd do it.
Old 12-19-12, 11:16 AM   #13
williakz
Lead Lap

Thanks a bunch for the quick response and complete info. I'll make the same "mod" (does changing a light bulb count?) to my wife's car.
Old 12-19-12, 11:40 AM   #14
Outrage
Lead Lap

Quote:

I have some Polarg wedge bulbs laying around. Maybe I'll try them out.

Here is an older post on the Polarg J-62 LED bulbs I made back when I had a Ford Edge:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/1...-plate-lights/
Outrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-12, 06:15 PM   #15
williakz
Lead Lap

Very cool, indeed. Advance Auto Parts was having a sale on the Sylvanias, so I snagged a pair tonight. Installed like a charm in my wife's GS450h and WOW! What a difference in light output. Thanks a bunch, man - owe you one.
Old 12-19-12, 06:15 PM

Tags
1681942825, 194, 2825, advance, auto, automotive, bulb, driving, led, ledrive, ledriving, light, premium, sylvania, white