GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Has the 2013 GS been outclassed by the 2014 IS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-12, 06:47 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has the 2013 GS been outclassed by the 2014 IS?

Edmund's Inside Line posted a "first drive" article about the 2014 IS:

http://www.insideline.com/lexus/is/2...rst-drive.html

It seems that the IS 350 will continue to use the same 3.5 liter V6 engine as before, the same one found in the GS 350, but that engine will be hooked up to an eight-speed automatic transmission. I'm starting to doubt Lexus's claims that the six-speed automatic in the GS 350 was chosen due to its superior performance.

The IS will be available with an adjustable-rate dampening system, which I assume is the same as the AVS system available in the GS. The variable gear ratio steering system (VGRS) will also be optional in the IS.

The IS will be equipped with an LFA style TFT display instrument panel.

Finally, the wheelbase of the IS has been stretched by an undisclosed length. The current IS has a wheelbase of 107.5 inches. Considering the GS has a rather short wheelbase of 112.2 inches it would seem the IS would be growing fairly close to the GS.

I would seem that Toyota really was considering killing off the GS based on the changes made to the IS.
Old 12-05-12, 07:34 AM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given the success of the GS brand, especially the 4th gens, I don't see Lexus cutting the GS line altogether, at least I hope not! The IS is a great car, and with each iteration it's grown up significantly. I'm curious to see what the 3IS will be like, but I doubt it will be the nail in the GS' coffin.
Old 12-05-12, 08:19 AM
ialexxx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow honestly... the IS gets the 8 speed that sucks for us
Old 12-05-12, 08:25 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I can honestly live without the 8spd. I feel the 6spd is almost always at the right gear at the right time and the 8 will have some gear hunting. I am a bit jealous of the instrument display though I can't lie. I am also interested in seeing how the new controller works. It seems closer to BMW's iDrive than the mouse we have now.
Old 12-05-12, 08:49 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

There are people who want a fun car (to drive when alone) and roomy enough car (to haul the family). I think that's a great market and Lexus knows. IS is targeted to a different population. IS has always been a great car in my mind since its second generation but it is a little too small for me. I may get an IS in addition to the GS but not to replace the GS. I don't mind getting some interior enhancement though. But again, that's just me
Old 12-05-12, 10:07 AM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Only thing the IS has the GS doesn't is the LFA tach and the 8 speed, both of which will probably be on the '14 GS, which is just me speculating. BTW, the early reviews weren't enthralled with the 8 speed. The 6 speed on the GS is mighty fine, but I'm sure it'll get the 8 speed.
Old 12-05-12, 10:07 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant believe one of the entry model sedans get an 8 speed and the lfa gauge thing. Thats not right, for a higher class car you should get everything of the lower class and more. And then u have lexus adding led headlights to lux version, after over 20k owners already bought it.
Old 12-05-12, 10:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Outrage
Edmund's Inside Line posted a "first drive" article about the 2014 IS:

http://www.insideline.com/lexus/is/2...rst-drive.html

It seems that the IS 350 will continue to use the same 3.5 liter V6 engine as before, the same one found in the GS 350, but that engine will be hooked up to an eight-speed automatic transmission. I'm starting to doubt Lexus's claims that the six-speed automatic in the GS 350 was chosen due to its superior performance.

The IS will be available with an adjustable-rate dampening system, which I assume is the same as the AVS system available in the GS. The variable gear ratio steering system (VGRS) will also be optional in the IS.

The IS will be equipped with an LFA style TFT display instrument panel.

Finally, the wheelbase of the IS has been stretched by an undisclosed length. The current IS has a wheelbase of 107.5 inches. Considering the GS has a rather short wheelbase of 112.2 inches it would seem the IS would be growing fairly close to the GS.

I would seem that Toyota really was considering killing off the GS based on the changes made to the IS.
No b/c the same thing happened last generation. The GS wheelbase is fine as its 190 inches long, the IS looks to have smaller overhangs.

The car isn't even sold yet so not sure how the GS could be outclassed yet?
Old 12-05-12, 11:02 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
No b/c the same thing happened last generation. The GS wheelbase is fine as its 190 inches long, the IS looks to have smaller overhangs.

The car isn't even sold yet so not sure how the GS could be outclassed yet?
Agreed. I do like the gauge cluster in the IS however i am curious to see if it will actually make production;if it does, I am even more curious to see how i will make it work in my 2IS

Other than the cluster, and possibly the new sport seat design, nothing else really appeals to me. Looks like a dressed up 2IS,

In regards to the 8 speed, never really been a fan of it; but then again I cant say much since the only car ive driven equipped with an 8 speed transmission was the F
Old 12-05-12, 11:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ialexxx
wow honestly... the IS gets the 8 speed that sucks for us
2014 GS will probably get the 8 speed is my guess. They want to debut the stuff on the IS first like how the 350 engine came to the GS one year later
Old 12-05-12, 11:40 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

in can live without 2 extra speeds. IMO it still wouldn't sway my decision if i didn't already have a GS F Sport. i like my car the way it is... a few cosmetic mods intake, exhaust and that's it. the IS is not in the GS family so i couldn't compare the two. like Blueprint stated the car hasn't hit the streets yet. they're both very good cars. but i'd stick with my GS even after the 2014 IS drops.
Old 12-05-12, 11:56 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IS line is Lexus bread and butter. You can be assured more time was spent on the IS than the GS.
Old 12-05-12, 03:10 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

the funny part is that IS cost 10k less than a gs n the IS have a lot more cool standard features than the gs
Old 12-05-12, 06:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
the funny part is that IS cost 10k less than a gs n the IS have a lot more cool standard features than the gs
not sure what you base this on as the new IS is not even out. so not only don't we know the price, we don't know what features will or won't be available and how they line up with the 4GS.
Old 12-05-12, 06:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I'd never buy an IS for the same reason I'd never buy a 3 series, too damn small.

Quick Reply: Has the 2013 GS been outclassed by the 2014 IS?