GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

High curbs should be outlawed. :(

Old 12-03-12, 04:28 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High curbs should be outlawed. :(

I had a couple tequilas and ales, so I let my wife drive and as we pulled up to grab my kid from martial arts...BOOM!!!

My wife pulled up too close to the curb in the parking lot and scraped my bumper. She thought I was thinking about divorce (not really).

Well, I've decided to try and tackle the problem on my own. Stay tuned for a pass or fail result when I'm through fixin' 'er!

My dear, departed father was a body and fender man so I'm sure he's cheering me on from heaven, along with my brother that actually died a week ago Saturday. Lots of death in my immediate family in the last two years. Dad in December 2010, (Lung cancer), Mom, three months later (run over by a negligent driver in a parking garage at a local hospital) in March 2011, and my brother last weekend (from COPD, pneumonia, cancer and all of their complications).

Dad and my brother were good body and fender men/car painters and I think they are both hoping I don't make a mess of it. Well, I'm not confident because I wasn't ever trained to do what I'm about to attempt to do. I think I wet-sanded a few cars when I was a kid.

If I fail, I will fork over the dough for a professional to do it. Can they replace it with an F-Sport bumper?

Anyway, it's hard to see but I want to do something to make it look better. I have the proper material, I believe...
Attached Thumbnails High curbs should be outlawed. :(-12-03-2012-002-1.jpg   High curbs should be outlawed. :(-12-03-2012-0011.jpg   High curbs should be outlawed. :(-12-03-2012-0031.jpg  
Old 12-03-12, 04:29 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OUCH!! That;s a very high curb and yes it should be outlawed or ppl will trip over it. Sorry for the damage it caused on your beautiful car. Hope its get fixed quickly. I am very sorry to hear about the passings of your immediate family members and you are a strong person and I wish you the very best through all this. I hope you have a pleasant chirstmas with your wife and children this year. The GS can be fixed.

Last edited by Rexus300; 12-03-12 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 04:35 PM
ialexxx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy crap living in NYC, this happening to my car is also one of my fears lol. it hurts just looking at that picture lol..
Old 12-03-12, 05:49 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Ouch! I remember hitting one of those, but my previous car was obsidian black so it did not look as bad. Some touch up paint did the trick. Sorry to hear about your family, I lost my dad this year to lung cancer as well Anyways, the car can be fixed, so no worries
Old 12-03-12, 06:20 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

damn V... first my condolences. 2nd, get the car fixed. its crazy how losing someone close changes the perspective of everything. stay up V.
Old 12-03-12, 07:00 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rexus300
OUCH!! That;s a very high curb and yes it should be outlawed or ppl will trip over it. Sorry for the damage it caused on your beautiful car. Hope its get fixed quickly. I am very sorry to hear about the passings of your immediate family members and you are a strong person and I wish you the very best through all this. I hope you have a pleasant chirstmas with your wife and children this year. The GS can be fixed.
Yes! It can be fixed. I'm just the sort to do it...

Originally Posted by ialexxx
holy crap living in NYC, this happening to my car is also one of my fears lol. it hurts just looking at that picture lol..
You're just going to need to remember "less is better" as you approach any parking space.

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
damn V... first my condolences. 2nd, get the car fixed. its crazy how losing someone close changes the perspective of everything. stay up V.
Yeah, I'm not pissed about the car, but I am sad about losing my family. Thanks, syd.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Ouch! I remember hitting one of those, but my previous car was obsidian black so it did not look as bad. Some touch up paint did the trick. Sorry to hear about your family, I lost my dad this year to lung cancer as well Anyways, the car can be fixed, so no worries
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. It's so hard. They are looking down over us. (and hopefully my Dad is looking down over me and can help me not screw up fixing the bumper)
Old 12-03-12, 07:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Ouch! I was thinking about this just today, the lower part of the chin sticks out there just begging for a curb...
Old 12-03-12, 07:07 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Well man, you have had a tough last few years. Maybe this is a sign from your brother or father to actually fix it, but I will say it is tough to do if you have never done it. It took me about 3 years on and off to pull off painting bumpers back to oem. You got to have the right tools and materials and a Lexus isn't a car to practice on. I would pay a professional or get the f sport bumper and sell yours.
Old 12-03-12, 07:08 PM
slorider
Driver School Candidate

I am about a week from dropping my car an inch and a half or so, so I am practicing keeping my distance from curbs and the likes. Hopefully you can get her back in shape fairly easily. I will tell you that body work is the hardest of the auto industry imo. There are SO many tricks that you just can't get from a book. Anyway, good luck and sorry for your scratches!
Old 12-03-12, 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Yeah so sorry to hear about your last couple years. We lost my dad in June of 2010, and my father in law in January of 2011. Puts everything in perspective...
Old 12-03-12, 07:28 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Ouch! I was thinking about this just today, the lower part of the chin sticks out there just begging for a curb...
Yep. It emphasizes caution.

Originally Posted by Nexson
Well man, you have had a tough last few years. Maybe this is a sign from your brother or father to actually fix it, but I will say it is tough to do if you have never done it. It took me about 3 years on and off to pull off painting bumpers back to oem. You got to have the right tools and materials and a Lexus isn't a car to practice on. I would pay a professional or get the f sport bumper and sell yours.
Well, I might have the bodywork gene in me.

If I fail, I've only invested a little time and very little money. My wife believes my goal is to spring for the F-Sport bumper ultimately. She thinks hat somehow I caused her to hit the curb to get the F-Sport bumper. Alrighty then...

Originally Posted by slorider
I am about a week from dropping my car an inch and a half or so, so I am practicing keeping my distance from curbs and the likes. Hopefully you can get her back in shape fairly easily. I will tell you that body work is the hardest of the auto industry imo. There are SO many tricks that you just can't get from a book. Anyway, good luck and sorry for your scratches!
I know body work is rough. My Dad did it from the 1950s well into the 2000s. He worked hard at it. When he reached 80 he kind of slowed down. I'm hoping it won't look too bad after I butcher it. .

Thanks.
Old 12-03-12, 07:29 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Yeah so sorry to hear about your last couple years. We lost my dad in June of 2010, and my father in law in January of 2011. Puts everything in perspective...
Yes. Perspective. Life is shorter than we know.
Old 12-03-12, 07:31 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

ouch, first sorry for ur loss brother, it's a tough one, it must be very hard, best of luck to u. I hate those high curbs also, as soon as i see one, i park as far a s i can , if I have to come down and look before I park, I don't care I will do it, It's my car and nobody else would care if I hit the curb or not.
Old 12-03-12, 07:45 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

All that really is, is 80 grit on a DA sander, sand all those scratches down to plastic, then 180 grit, then 2k primer. You can have that ready for paint in 1 hour, then burn the clear in on the edges, it is so low i wouldnt re clear the whole bumper.
Old 12-03-12, 08:05 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasili
Yes! It can be fixed. I'm just the sort to do it...

You're just going to need to remember "less is better" as you approach any parking space.

Yeah, I'm not pissed about the car, but I am sad about losing my family. Thanks, syd.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. It's so hard. They are looking down over us. (and hopefully my Dad is looking down over me and can help me not screw up fixing the bumper)
i'm pretty sure he'll lend a hand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High curbs should be outlawed. :(