GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hard decision, premium vs luxury...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 08:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default Hard decision, premium vs luxury...need help!

Hey y'all,

Very close to a deal on a GS. Having a hard time deciding between premium vs luxury. I've driven both, and really what I much prefer about the luxury is the espresso wood and the upgraded seats. My dealer has plenty of inventory in both packages in the color combo I want.

The AVS suspension is a little cushier which I like, but it seems to mostly translate into some floatiness on the highway, while around town the ride is about the same, so no huge difference there.

If I were buying the car to keep a long time it'd be a no brainer, I'd fork over the extra $4k, but since I'll be leasing and likely turning it in at the end, the luxury package adds about $120 to the payment, which basically means I would pay the additional $4k cost in full over the life of the lease and then just simply turn it in...which is a pretty high cost for the biggest issue for me which really is the wood trim.

I faced a similar choice last time between the ES I have and a UL ES...

Any thoughts, those of you who made this decision either way, any regrets?

With the deals out there right now...its feasible to do the premium GS for about what my payment is on the ES :eek:...hard to pass up...

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-29-12 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-29-12, 09:32 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go with the Luxury if you are going to keep the car for a longer time. The ride is much more planted then the premium with the AVS. The suspension is alot better so in the long run you will be happier. The floatiness can go away with the sport + and with higher tire pressure then the recommended 33 psi which is IMO low.
Old 11-29-12, 09:35 AM
LexFather

I have extensive experience with both and to me the luxury seats itself would make me make the jump. They are so many more adjustments than the premium. Egads I am getting old 18 way adjustments and I believe both driver and passenger.

If the seats are no big deal to you the maybe premium is way to go. I've driven premium extensively and its a fantastic car with most anything one could want.

Though I must say life is short and enjoy yourself!!!
Old 11-29-12, 09:48 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I wanted to add some more thoughts here. I chose the F-Sport over the Luxury and the things that had me leaning Luxury included the rear heated seats and sunshades. While I normally don't have people in the car, I saw them as a good value (particularly the sunshades with two car seats back there).

At the end of the day I didn't choose Premium at all because I found the lack of AVS made the ride harsher over city roads. There was a lack of dampening and on some roads I felt constant vibrations in my seat.

And if you care, F-Sport won over because of availability (next day delivery) and the hot red model sitting in the showroom
Old 11-29-12, 10:49 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Luxury ftw.
Old 11-29-12, 11:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys, even if it is likely to cost me a lot of money

Waiting on some more numbers, if I do this I'm going to do it tomorrow to take advantage of month end.

Its tough because the smart thing to do is just to keep what I've got, its in absolute perfect shape, I still like driving it, and I could buy it for such a pittance after the lease is up it would be a great deal...but I just have an itch for something different...
Old 11-29-12, 11:25 AM
matt2421
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Thanks for the input guys, even if it is likely to cost me a lot of money

Waiting on some more numbers, if I do this I'm going to do it tomorrow to take advantage of month end.

Its tough because the smart thing to do is just to keep what I've got, its in absolute perfect shape, I still like driving it, and I could buy it for such a pittance after the lease is up it would be a great deal...but I just have an itch for something different...
I went with luxury over fsport and premium. The wood interior and powerseats are awesome!!!. I didnt even know it had it, but the adaptive front headlights are pretty cool. Also, when i saw the premium didnt have the sport+ mode it quickly dropped out of consideration. As for your lastpoint, your current vehicle is in perfect shape...I traded in a 2006 GS 430 which i absolutley loved and was in perfect shape. Dont get me wrong the new GS is far and away better in all categories except for maybe exterior looks which is a personal thing. But i am hearing stories of a new ISF, a GS Coupe and a GSF. As much as I love my new car, i kinda wish i would have waited because im probably going to lose alot of money on my trade in if a GSF coupe comes out.
Old 11-29-12, 11:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah but I think my anstyness comes from having had the ES a long time, this is my second ES, January will mark 10 years of driving the ES for me. I don't see me getting ansty with something different at least until towards the end of the next lease. I can say the new ES for instance wouldn't be enough to get me out of my current ES, I think its more the type of car than the desire for the latest iteration of what I already have.

Plus, I've never really had anything fun to drive...
Old 11-29-12, 12:11 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Yeah but I think my anstyness comes from having had the ES a long time, this is my second ES, January will mark 10 years of driving the ES for me. I don't see me getting ansty with something different at least until towards the end of the next lease. I can say the new ES for instance wouldn't be enough to get me out of my current ES, I think its more the type of car than the desire for the latest iteration of what I already have.

Plus, I've never really had anything fun to drive...
i also owned 2 ES vehicles. but when i saw the 2013 GS in DEC. 2011, i ordered one and received it in Feb. 2012. once i finally got to drive it i knew i'd made the right decision. if you feel you should keep the ES then do it. the ES is no slouch, it's a very good car. however this GS is so driver friendly... it's a great car. if premium is what your pockets prefer then go for it. JUST GET ONE.
Old 11-29-12, 12:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I think you and I talked about that a few months ago...

Still waiting on my numbers, keep y'all posted!
Old 11-29-12, 01:30 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I can't comment about the premium but I can tell you what I like about the car I have. Some of the features may be included in the premium option. I chose it over F-Sport.

- Wood trim and flaxen. This is the number one reason I chose it over F-Sport
- S, S+
- Adaptive headlight
- Ways to adjust seats and steering wheel
- Rear windows shades. I like all three on when parked. Sorry Syd
- Rear control console
- Park Assist, BSM
- Interior light along the doors. Dimmed while driving but lit up when doors are opened.
- Exterior light under the mirrors: Lit up when you approach the car at night with the key in your pocket

I'm sure you'll enjoy either one. Good luck! And remember to get Wolf's chemicals ready.
Old 11-29-12, 04:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the Flaxen is what I want....

The interior light along the doors and the mirrors is on the premium too...

They didn't get back to me with the figures today which is frustrating, hopefully I'll get them tomorrow morning so I can decide if I'm going to do this right now or not, I'd like to take advantage of month end.
Old 11-29-12, 07:17 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad i saw this thread im thinking about getting my wife a new GS and was thinking about getting the Fsport because of the exterior options but now this has me thinking twice..
Old 11-29-12, 07:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr05
glad i saw this thread im thinking about getting my wife a new GS and was thinking about getting the Fsport because of the exterior options but now this has me thinking twice..
It was not only the exterior options and tighter handling that made me choose the F Sport, it is the only model that offers the Cabernet interior. The combo of the Cabernet, black headliner and carpets and the aluminum is incredible.

To the OP, I drove a Premium GS loaner while I was waiting for my F Sport to be delivered. It was nice, but didn't very firmly planted and I found the seats kinda short. I would buy the Luxury model for the seats, the Espresso Wood and the handling from Sport+. To me, the Espresso Wood vs. the standard transforms the interior into something that earns the title Luxury.
Old 11-29-12, 07:35 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ i actually still need to test drive both i just loved the F-Sport model as soon as i saw it but am afraid as soon as i go there im sure ill walk away with one haha OP looking forward to see what you decide on hopefully your next post will be a pic of what you got

Quick Reply: Hard decision, premium vs luxury...need help!