GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 11:53 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tnofam
Ryan,

I think you have it in upside down. I had a mountek mount in my previous car which I now have in my GS.

The part you screw should be on the bottom. It obviously works either way but just thought I'd share.
That wasn't Ryan's photos, they were mine. And you are right, I ended up turning it upside down, which gave it better stability and made sure it didn't slip out when i pulled the phone off of the mount (which it tended to do when i had it positioned in the photos because of the upper lip).

Unfortunately, upside down also means blocking a lot of the buttons visibility and access. But I was able to maintain access to my temperature control buttons and I have dual climate disabled so it's not that big of a deal.

Unlike Ryan, I did stick it to the inside of my case using the 3M adhesive (so as not to damage my phone). I also used the larger one on my phone because it's a bigger device. The recommendation on the card inside the box says to use the small one for phones that are the size of the iPhone 5 (not the iPhone 6 which is considerably larger). Also, it recommends that if you use a case (even on the iPhone 5) to use the larger one. The small one is good for iPhone 5 size WITHOUT a cover.

I did test it out on the road and it works great. The mount is strong enough as is for my 5.5" OnePlus One (weighs 5.71 oz) Definitely recommend it after the first day. Tomorrow will be the first day I use it to go to work so if my review changes, I'll report back.

Last edited by djkidd; 01-11-15 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 10:08 AM
tnofam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I have the
 nGroove Grip nGroove Grip
, not the magnetic one. I have my Samsung Note 4 sitting vertically in the mount which doesn't bother me all that much. Personally I like to have the charger plugged in at the bottom instead of to the side when turned horizontally. To each his own....

Either way I definitely recommend this mount to anyone looking for one.
Old 01-12-15, 05:21 PM
CleanStock
Driver School Candidate

I got one and like it a lot, but if you use a big phone like the iphone 6+ in an upright position, you might want to superglue the pull out base support, otherwise it may fall out due to the weight...
Old 01-13-15, 12:03 AM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CleanStock
I got one and like it a lot, but if you use a big phone like the iphone 6+ in an upright position, you might want to superglue the pull out base support, otherwise it may fall out due to the weight...
Are you talking about for the Grip one or the Magnetic one? My phone is actually the same size as the iPhone 6+ and it works in both landscape and portrait mode on the Magnetic one. The magnets are MUCH stronger than the generic mounts.

If you have a phone/tablet that is larger than the iPhone 6+ (like the Nexus 6), it may be an issue. Ryan commented on that earlier.
Old 01-13-15, 08:21 AM
CleanStock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djkidd
Are you talking about for the Grip one or the Magnetic one? My phone is actually the same size as the iPhone 6+ and it works in both landscape and portrait mode on the Magnetic one. The magnets are MUCH stronger than the generic mounts.

If you have a phone/tablet that is larger than the iPhone 6+ (like the Nexus 6), it may be an issue. Ryan commented on that earlier.
I have the grip one, for some reason, i wasn't sure the magnetic one would work with my iphone 6+ in its case, didn't want to take the chance plus the grip one was only $20.
Old 01-13-15, 11:07 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea I have the nGroove Grip, not the magnetic one. I have my Samsung Note 4 sitting vertically in the mount which doesn't bother me all that much. Personally I like to have the charger plugged in at the bottom instead of to the side when turned horizontally. To each his own....

Either way I definitely recommend this mount to anyone looking for one.
Might be sold on this mount
Old 01-14-15, 12:48 PM
tnofam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CleanStock
This isn't really necessary. I have a Samsung Note 4 in mine vertically and it holds up just fine. Now if you plan on going off-road in your GS...

For those wondering. The only thing your phone blocks is the clock. See pic below. Viewing angle is a little higher obviously from where your head is. I can still see the entire NAV screen with no issue.

Name:  IMG_07351_zps7853df87.jpg
Views: 4609
Size:  40.7 KB
Old 02-02-15, 05:19 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For anyone who is interested - I took out the mount today and noticed you can actually flip the mount over.

Some folks were saying they preferred to have the CD mount upside-down but it doesn't hold as well because of the gap in the top of the CD mount on the GS. When you mount it this way the phone sits a little higher and only blocks the clock instead of blocking some of the radio controls.

I found you can actually pull the pin out of the mount and flip it over and put the pin back in and the CD portion of the mount is still the same (so the "wide" part stays on top and the "thin" part stays on the bottom) but the part that holds your phone is now the opposite way.

If you look at the magnetic part, there is a pin that holds it to the rest of the mount. One side of the pin should have two arrows, if you spin that - you'll notice on the other side, the pin is keyed and can now be pulled out. After you pull the pin out, flip the magnetic part over and put the pin back in and then spin the pin so it cannot be pulled out. The mount is definitely intended to allow you do this.

Hope this all makes sense. Even happier with my purchase now!
Old 02-02-15, 08:46 PM
edittman1
Rookie

Originally Posted by RyanC
For anyone who is interested - I took out the mount today and noticed you can actually flip the mount over.

Some folks were saying they preferred to have the CD mount upside-down but it doesn't hold as well because of the gap in the top of the CD mount on the GS. When you mount it this way the phone sits a little higher and only blocks the clock instead of blocking some of the radio controls.

I found you can actually pull the pin out of the mount and flip it over and put the pin back in and the CD portion of the mount is still the same (so the "wide" part stays on top and the "thin" part stays on the bottom) but the part that holds your phone is now the opposite way.

If you look at the magnetic part, there is a pin that holds it to the rest of the mount. One side of the pin should have two arrows, if you spin that - you'll notice on the other side, the pin is keyed and can now be pulled out. After you pull the pin out, flip the magnetic part over and put the pin back in and then spin the pin so it cannot be pulled out. The mount is definitely intended to allow you do this.

I couldnt get the pin to come out. But I wanted to flip it too. I don't like how it blocks the AC buttons.
Old 02-02-15, 09:34 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Great tip, but I couldn't get the pin out. It would only budge a little bit. Here are some pictures:

Old 02-03-15, 04:31 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ryan,

I think you have it in upside down. I had a mountek mount in my previous car which I now have in my GS.

The part you screw should be on the bottom. It obviously works either way but just thought I'd share.
Actually, if you look at the Amazon listing photos they have it mounted with the screw tab pointing up.
Old 02-03-15, 07:46 PM
RyanC
Driver

Not sure if I have any tricks to pull the pin out - It didn't come out initially for me either, the pin may not be lined up perfectly to pull it out - I just kept jiggling it and eventually the pin pulled out...
Old 02-04-15, 05:03 AM
JT51
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon with Store4PC has the Sabrent Universal Smartphone CD Slot Mount for 3.5" to 5.5" Smartphones (CM-CSCD) for $13 - $4 off with coupon code 4OFFCSCD at checkout = $9 with free shipping for Prime members or on purchases $35+.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00R63GV2K

Video at Amazon is showing it installed on Lexus

I don't have this so can't recommend it, but for $9 it might be worth a try since it doesn't have the thumb screws
Old 02-05-15, 02:09 AM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Not sure if I have any tricks to pull the pin out - It didn't come out initially for me either, the pin may not be lined up perfectly to pull it out - I just kept jiggling it and eventually the pin pulled out...
I don't know if this asking too much, but would you be able to make a video of pulling the pin out? I tried for about an hour to get the pin out with no luck at all. The pics I posted were of the pin pulled as far as it would go. The little tab drops in the cutout and the pin pulls out about 1 or 2 cm and then it stops. I tried jiggling it, rotating it, etc. with no luck whatsoever.
Old 02-06-15, 07:19 PM
RyanC
Driver

Here's a video I took of pulling the pin out.

The first time I did it, I didn't have any trouble pulling the pin out - but while making the video I did have some trouble, so I used a small object (in my case, it was an alligator clip) - but a pen should work too - and I pushed the pin out.

Sorry for my mumbling and bad video skills - figured the video would be a little weird if I didn't say anything
The following 2 users liked this post by RyanC:
sam430 (04-25-18), SHuerta11 (03-14-19)

Quick Reply: 4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)