GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 01:44 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC
I have the Mountek Ngroove but not the magnetic one and it works fine in my GS350.

Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for Cell Phones and GPS Devices: MP3 Players & Accessories

I presume the magnetic one would work fine - but I didn't want to try it since I was unsure if it would hold my phone (Nexus 6).

The curve you mention in the CD player doesn't seem to be an issue for the Ngroove - I think the part that goes into the CD player is longer than the curve in the CD player - and it also goes in pretty deep so it isn't an issue.
I had two in my old BMW, the first was similar to the one you have (not sure if mine was official Mountek though). The second I used was the magnetic one (generic brand). I tried both in my '15 GS and neither went deep enough. I'll try this one and see if I can get it to work. I really like the placement of the CD player mount.

Btw, I have a OnePlus One which also has a pretty curved back (not as curved as the Nexus 6, but still pretty curved), and I didnt have any issues with placing it on the cd player mount. It was a matter of finding a few sweet points because I always had my charger plugged in and that threw off the center of mass (sorry, i'm an engineer lol). If you ever need to change ur mount, give it a try. it's so much easier (so easy its just being lazy lol).
Old 12-30-14, 05:00 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking the weight might be an issue because I wasn't sure how strong the magnet would be.

But good to know the OnePlus One works with the magnet - the Nexus 6 would probably work then.
Old 01-09-15, 06:06 AM
Renrutjw
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't try the Koomus "CD-Air" CD Slot Mount Smartphone holder. The expanded opening on the top lip of the cd opening doesn't allow for a snug fit. Even with the thickest expansion pad.
Old 01-09-15, 10:25 AM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Renrutjw
Don't try the Koomus "CD-Air" CD Slot Mount Smartphone holder. The expanded opening on the top lip of the cd opening doesn't allow for a snug fit. Even with the thickest expansion pad.
I was considering ordering that. I ended up ordering the Mountek nGroove Snap 3 Magnetic Car Mount

Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Snap 3 Magnetic Car Mount for Smartphones and Mini Tablets: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Snap 3 Magnetic Car Mount for Smartphones and Mini Tablets: GPS & Navigation

It's been recommended in this topic and other topics so I'm assuming that top lip won't be an issue. I had the issue with some generic branded cd mounts.
Old 01-09-15, 04:47 PM
inramana
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djkidd
I was considering ordering that. I ended up ordering the Mountek nGroove Snap 3 Magnetic Car Mount

Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Snap 3 Magnetic Car Mount for Smartphones and Mini Tablets: GPS & Navigation

It's been recommended in this topic and other topics so I'm assuming that top lip won't be an issue. I had the issue with some generic branded cd mounts.
Please let us know how that works out.
Old 01-09-15, 05:03 PM
RyanC
Driver

Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Snap 3 Magnetic Car Mount for Smartphones and Mini Tablets: GPS & Navigation

I've used both the Mountek nGroove Snap 3 that you mentioned and the Grip version ( This one:
Amazon Amazon
) with success in my GS350.

The Grip one would be fine in most cases - but I want the phone in landscape mode and my phone has buttons on the side that the Grip keeps pressing so I switched to the Snap 3 and it works great.

Both Mountek CD mounts fit fine in the GS350's CD player (no impact to the CD player itself, I have a disc in there and it doesn't think I am trying to put one in or anything).
Old 01-09-15, 05:06 PM
inramana
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used both the Mountek nGroove Snap 3 that you mentioned and the Grip version ( This one: http://www.amazon.com/Mountek-nGroov.../dp/B004G1L52Q ) with success in my GS350.

The Grip one would be fine in most cases - but I want the phone in landscape mode and my phone has buttons on the side that the Grip keeps pressing so I switched to the Snap 3 and it works great.

Both Mountek CD mounts fit fine in the GS350's CD player (no impact to the CD player itself, I have a disc in there and it doesn't think I am trying to put one in or anything).
Any pics? Does it block the vents?
Old 01-09-15, 06:03 PM
RyanC
Driver

Originally Posted by inramana
Any pics? Does it block the vents?
If I remember I'll try to take pics. It doesn't block the vents at all.
Old 01-09-15, 09:01 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

I've used both the Mountek nGroove Snap 3 that you mentioned and the Grip version ( This one:
Amazon Amazon
) with success in my GS350.

Thanks for the info. I'm supposed to get mine either tomorrow or Monday. When I do I'll take as many pics as I can and hopefully a video as well. Cheers!
Old 01-10-15, 02:40 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you guys please post pics. I've deciding I would like to have one on long drives to use Waze.
Looking for something with my iPhone 6 plus.
Old 01-11-15, 02:01 AM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by puckhead85
Can you guys please post pics. I've deciding I would like to have one on long drives to use Waze.
Looking for something with my iPhone 6 plus.
I get mine Monday (hopefully) so I'll post pics Monday when I get home from work
Old 01-11-15, 03:19 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Suprise surprise surprise. I got my Mountek nGroove Snap3 today! Here are the pictures:

Package box

First thing you see when opening

Contents of the box

Mount without phone on it

The reason this fits better than others is because of the wider center portion that grips on to the lip

Phone and mount without charger cable

Mount with phone and charger cable

My charger cable causes the phone to rotate a bit because of the coil tension in the cable. I just readjusted the phone a bit to balance out the tension.

The mount works great so far. I haven't taken it out on the road yet, I literally installed it and took these pictures for you guys. if you have questions, let me know.
The following users liked this post:
SHuerta11 (03-14-19)
Old 01-11-15, 06:20 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Suprise surprise surprise. I got my Mountek nGroove Snap3 today! Here are the pictures:

My charger cable causes the phone to rotate a bit because of the coil tension in the cable. I just readjusted the phone a bit to balance out the tension.

The mount works great so far. I haven't taken it out on the road yet, I literally installed it and took these pictures for you guys. if you have questions, let me know.
nice pics. Am I correct to understand that it's held by a magnet? So you would stick/glue the magnetic pad to your phone or phone case, and it will attach to the car mount? Thanks
Old 01-11-15, 07:17 PM
RyanC
Driver

Originally Posted by popping
nice pics. Am I correct to understand that it's held by a magnet? So you would stick/glue the magnetic pad to your phone or phone case, and it will attach to the car mount? Thanks
There are 4 magnets on the mount itself and then they give you a thin piece of metal with 3M adhesive backing so you can stick it to your phone - it says the adhesive is removable. However, I didn't stick it to the phone, I just put the metal piece inside the case for my phone. I have a 2 layer case, so I put it on the outer layer of the case (doesn't touch my phone, so no chance of it scratching my phone).

If the 4 magnets aren't strong enough to hold your phone - if you pull off the rubber cover on the mount, there are slots for 4 more magnets. I put 4 more magnets in there and it holds my Nexus 6 really well now. With only 4 magnets, it didn't hold my phone completely secure - probably because the Nexus 6 is a pretty large phone.
Old 01-11-15, 07:31 PM
tnofam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan,

I think you have it in upside down. I had a mountek mount in my previous car which I now have in my GS.

The part you screw should be on the bottom. It obviously works either way but just thought I'd share.

Quick Reply: 4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)