GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery died for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-13, 07:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yeah I don't buy that, Toyota has had keyless entry and start since 2003, this makes my fourth vehicle with keyless entry and start, and the 6th one in my family and no issues with battery draw.

In fact, on our '04 Prius and on my Dad's '04 LS430 (I think on my Mom's FX35 too) there was a switch to turn the SKS system off that I don't think exists anymore. The manual used to suggest turning it off when you were going to leave the vehicle sit for over 2 weeks. Why would they do away with that if it were a drain concern?
Old 01-06-13, 08:10 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How far away from the vehicle do you keep your key fob when the car is sitting in the garage?

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Yeah I don't buy that, Toyota has had keyless entry and start since 2003, this makes my fourth vehicle with keyless entry and start, and the 6th one in my family and no issues with battery draw.

In fact, on our '04 Prius and on my Dad's '04 LS430 (I think on my Mom's FX35 too) there was a switch to turn the SKS system off that I don't think exists anymore. The manual used to suggest turning it off when you were going to leave the vehicle sit for over 2 weeks. Why would they do away with that if it were a drain concern?
Old 01-06-13, 08:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Pretty far away. The car is in the garage of our townhouse, and the closest key is in my wife's purse which she keeps in the living room which is two levels above it. My key is either on my person or on the dresser with is a level above that.

As long as the key isn't within 3 feet of the car it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-07-13, 06:07 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013GS
The only thing that Lexus came up with was that they have noticed that due to the type of technology used in the remote key that the key (and any spare keys) should be stored far from the vehicle because the key causes a significant draw on the battery when it interacts with the vehicle.
..... I also find the explanation Lexus gave to be strange becase my previous Infiniti had keyless ignition and I never had any battery issues with it. .
Thanks for the update. I am not surprised at the conclusion. My last 4 cars were BMW's and they have a reputation of recurring problems with dead batteries caused by current draw due to storing the key fobs too close to the car when it is parked and off. I developed the habit of storing the remote keys as far as possible from where the cars are in the garage and have never had a problem. It's just the nature of the beast with these modern cars that the car electronics will be constantly interrogated by the remote if it it left in close proximity to the car.
Old 09-07-13, 05:49 PM
Saturn5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 GS 300 and have the same problem. New battery, randomly dead in the morning (maybe once every 2 months). Dealer can't find a problem. If it's left for more than 3 days without starting, it's usually dead too.

Anyone figure anything out?

Thanks.

Al
Old 09-11-13, 08:59 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had similar problem with my 06 GS:

Problem was in the driver's side door switch - the plunger type with a rubber boot on it.

Something was causing intermittent contact, and when I came back to the car after a few hours, the battery was so low that the engine wouldn't turn over. Apparently, the intermittent contact would make the car think the door was open, and left the lights on. Happened a couple of times before I found the culprit. I suppose if I had the headlights set to manual control, this could have been worked around, but I didn't want to lose my auto headlights.

I tried to remove the bolt and re-seat the connectors, but when it happened again, I decided to replace the switch. Got the part from the dealer - about $20, as I recall. It took about 10 minutes to swap out. You will need a Torx driver to turn the bolt - don't recall the number - I bought one of those multi-sized sets. The switch wiring uses pull apart connectors, so you don't need any other tools.

Good Luck!
Old 09-22-13, 10:08 PM
Top38
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2011 RX 350 with 24,000 miles and this starting issue has happen three times. The first time the car was 6 months old. Each time the battery failed we had been driving several miles, stopped for a minute and then just buzz. Dealer said car was fine. Now I fear letting my wife drive it. I believe the problem is in the keyless button. We can jump ours, then turn off immediately and it will then start fine. In our case the battery is not dead.

Last edited by Top38; 09-22-13 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 07:46 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Add me to the list with strange dead battery issues. I have 5,600 miles on mine, use it most every day. No go this morning, 5.25 volts left on the battery and unable to jump it. There is something to this, far too many have complained. Anyone heard any answers?

Pete
Old 10-17-13, 05:26 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ESsearch
Add me to the list with strange dead battery issues. I have 5,600 miles on mine, use it most every day. No go this morning, 5.25 volts left on the battery and unable to jump it. There is something to this, far too many have complained. Anyone heard any answers?

Pete
Took it to the dealer and got the response I expected - No apparent problems. I do think chasing this down will be tricky at best. I don't think it is the battery as it is far too intermittent. I would guess it is a computer glitch of some sort, triggered by a specific set of circumstances. I am curious with those of us with 2013 GS's that have had this issue, if there are any common factors we can point to? Here is my scenario:

Normally the car is in the garage and unlocked.
I moved it out on the drive one evening and locked it. No issues or hints of a problem.
Next morning - dead, 5.25 volts on the battery.
Doors and trunk must of been closed and locked or it would of beeped when I locked it.
After I got it going again, the only setting that changed was the total gas mileage. It is now the same as the "since last fill" mileage, whereas before they were different. All other personal settings remained intact.

Anyone else with symptoms or settings changed aftewards?
Anyone with similar circumstances.?

Pete
Old 10-21-13, 05:22 AM
lexusmavin
Driver School Candidate

You should escalate the problem to the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Representative for your region. Your dealership's general manager should facilitate this connection. Lexus is aware of this problem.

"A squeaky wheel gets greased".
The following users liked this post:
Wassum3636 (10-07-21)
Old 10-25-13, 08:49 AM
Stinker
Driver School Candidate

My car died twice within the first six months (purchased vehicle Feb 2012). Battery was replaced both times. Since that time, I have not had any issues with the car dying (knock on wood). Very strange indeed as to why this happened and my dealer (Lexus of Annapolis) could not define the issue as all the dignostics checks came out fine.
Old 10-28-13, 12:16 PM
flyinghai
Driver School Candidate

I have my car for about a year now and I think I found the problem to the drained battery. Here is what happen, I came home late one night and went in through the garage. I heard a low noise, I thought it came from outside so I investigate and open the garage door, but the sound wasn't from outside. I closed the garage door and the noise was coming from the garage. The noise got louder as I got closer to my GS. The sound was coming from the rear end. It sound it like a gas pump or a small electric motor running. I tried different ways to stop the noise, but I could not stop it. The only way I got it to stop was start and stop the engine. I record it on my phone for proof. I will call the dealer when I get a chance. This would definitely drained the battery if I left it running overnight. I hope this shed some light on this battery drain problem.

Hai
Old 10-28-13, 12:21 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

That happens on all of our cars after a certain amount of time has passed since the car has been shut off. It is the braking system flushing the lines, I believe. It's actually in the manual.
Old 10-28-13, 12:24 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

This is the fuel system pressure check. It does it every now and then. If you leave it, it would shut down after a few minutes is about hong it takes. I've seen mine do this before, and it stopped on its own. Could possibly get stuck with a software glitch, but I don't think that has been the problem. I think the batteries are just poor.

If this happens, I'm just putting an optima red top in and being done with it. Not worth the time of dealer inspection and service visits. Plus, if this happened on a weekend, even more reason to DIY. Then submit a claim to Lexus for reimbursement. They can test the old battery if need. And everyone on here that has had this issue generally has said the only thing they changed or modified on the vehicle was the battery. No other system or part has been attributed to this problem. But I'm sure the pressure test isn't helping the battery either.
Old 10-28-13, 11:48 PM
vinodc
Rookie

I too have had this problem. I previous started a thread on this a few weeks ago. My car died again for the 2nd time(about a month into its 2nd battery). They put in a new battery(3rd one). This is not a battery quality issue....something is clearly causing the battery to be drained. The original battery is Panasonic.....but the other replacements are Interstate batteries.

I have lost all faith in this car. I've had some other lingering issues with it.....which I've shared with my dealership(who have been excellent to work with). Its been about a week since the new battery, so far its been good. I'm very frustrated, quite frankly lexus knows of the issue....but has no solution. I got stranded at 130am last time.

Quick Reply: Battery died for no reason