GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery died for no reason

Old 12-15-12, 09:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I wouldn't hold off. Its a small percentage of cars effected. Great deals out there right now.
Old 12-18-12, 05:28 AM
Stinker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2013GS
Stinker - So far you are the only person that I've heard of who has been unlucky enough to have this occur twice. However, many of us have not had our vehicle as long as you have. I've only had my car since mid- July and have less than 3,500 miles on it. It really sucks that after purchasing a brand new luxury vehicle you have to be nervous as to whether or not the vehicle is going to start.

I'm going to have to start making sure I carry my cellphone whenever I use the car so i can call roadside assistance.
Yeah, it's good idea to have your cell phone with you. Hopefully, you never need them but roadside service is very responsive and quick.

I have my 10K mile service tomorrow, (currently 9200 miles). I'm very interested to see if they find any issues with the car. I've had her since Feb and other than a few road trips, I very rarely drive her during the week (only on weekends)....That's if the weather is nice! This car is awesome and I love driving her. I hope this issue resolves itself.
Old 12-19-12, 08:55 AM
Stinker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stinker
I have my 10K mile service tomorrow, (currently 9200 miles). I'm very interested to see if they find any issues with the car. I've had her since Feb and other than a few road trips, I very rarely drive her during the week (only on weekends)....That's if the weather is nice! This car is awesome and I love driving her. I hope this issue resolves itself.
*Update* My car is currently at my Lexus dealer, (10k mile service). I just got off the phone with my Service Advisor and he told me that they tested the battery and the levels were low. He went on to say that they are going to replace the battery. I explained that this was the second new battery within six months. He asked how often I drive the car and I told him only on weekends (weather permitting) and road trips. He informed me that even though the car sits for days at a time without driving it, the technology "stuff" within the car still pulls from the battery, eventually draining it.

He went on to say that he has a car that he very rarely drives (had it 7 years with only 9K miles on it) and he had to replace the battery six times within the first year. He purchased a device called a "Battery Tender Plus" and he simply hooks this up to his car battery whenever it's going to sit for awhile and this device keeps the battery charged at optimal levels. He said he hasn't replace the battery in six years (since purcharsing the Battery Tender Plus). He recommended the same product for me.

SEARS has the Battery Tender Plus for about $50 and I'm going to stop by today and pick it up. Hopefully, this works and I hope this information is useful to those of you who are experiencing this issue.
Old 12-19-12, 09:04 AM
fpmacko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I had an identical dead battery problem with my 2013 GS. Happened about two weeks after delivery. (Bought it in February 2012. Right off the first boat from Japan.) Parked in the garage and found the car deader than Jimmy Hoffa the following morning. (6 volts on the battery.) The dealer was convinced that I left the ignition on overnight w/o the engine running. I had to remind them that the owners manual clearly states there are auto-off timers for both the accessory and ignition-on modes. All they could say was "oh". They replaced the battery and it hasn't happened since.
Old 12-19-12, 12:25 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I have a Corvette which sits for weeks at a time and I have a battery tender for it. I know other Corvette owners who keep their car on a tender during the winter. I cannot believe you need a battery tender if you are using your car every weekend. Sounds like Lexus CYA to me.
Old 12-19-12, 12:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Stinker
He asked how often I drive the car and I told him only on weekends (weather permitting) and road trips. He informed me that even though the car sits for days at a time without driving it, the technology "stuff" within the car still pulls from the battery, eventually draining it.
Could very well be the case...
Old 12-19-12, 07:02 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Guys,

I had the same issue last month. My GS sat for only 2 days while I drove my wife's car to work and on the 3rd morning, the battery was dead. Has about 6k on her, just sucks knowing your brand new car may not start. Fingers crossed, hasn't happened since.
Old 12-23-12, 08:30 AM
giniajim
Driver School Candidate

My 2002 ES 300 has had two instances lately of a dead battery. Obviously very annoying. The car jumps fine and then the batterly seems to charge back up.
Old 12-23-12, 07:46 PM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

This thread really makes me nervous... I asked the service manager at my dealership about this (he's a family friend) and he said he hasn't heard of the issue. Fingers crossed!
Old 12-24-12, 07:00 PM
lexusmavin
Driver School Candidate

I also have a 2013 GS350 with 9000 miles, purchased late February 2012. The battery died for unexplained reasons twice now. Once in late September, while parked in a train station parking lot over a weekend, and the second time in my garage; also while parked over a weekend. Both times nothing was left on (headlight switch in AUTO, all doors and trunk closed). My dealer's best tech (he is really good) could not replicate the condition and could not find an obvious reason for this failure. Yet, he believes the problem is real and said that "finding the reason will be like chasing a ghost". I have escalated this problem to Lexus.

Last edited by lexusmavin; 12-25-12 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-24-12, 07:34 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

it's obviously an easy fix, however it is a PITA to get into your new car, just to find out that it doesn't start. maybe we should switch to the red or yellow top optima batteries... just a thought. i don't plug in anything to any of the outlets in the car.
Old 12-29-12, 03:40 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody know what other battery sizes besides D26 will fit in our GS's?
Old 12-30-12, 07:52 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fpmacko
FWIW, I had an identical dead battery problem with my 2013 GS. Happened about two weeks after delivery. (Bought it in February 2012. Right off the first boat from Japan.) Parked in the garage and found the car deader than Jimmy Hoffa the following morning. (6 volts on the battery.) The dealer was convinced that I left the ignition on overnight w/o the engine running. I had to remind them that the owners manual clearly states there are auto-off timers for both the accessory and ignition-on modes. All they could say was "oh". They replaced the battery and it hasn't happened since.
I had my 2013 GS for 6 months no problem. Got a LS460 F-Sport, two weeks after delivery, this morning, battery dead! Lexus Roadside Assistance is fantastic, off to the dealer in the morning, see what they say!
Old 12-31-12, 02:05 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Originally Posted by patricksr5
I have a Corvette which sits for weeks at a time and I have a battery tender for it. I know other Corvette owners who keep their car on a tender during the winter. I cannot believe you need a battery tender if you are using your car every weekend. Sounds like Lexus CYA to me.
Due to owning cars in different locations I have some experience of leaving my 2GS and 3GS parked for weeks, even up to 2 months with battery connected. For 2GS, the battery is just fine at least after 4-5 weeks, even though my car has extra drain from an after-market car alarm. The 3GS I had parked for 8 weeks at one point and with no problems starting it. For 3GS the keyless entry drains the battery a bit, but after 2 weeks or so it "falls asleep" and saves the car for further depletion of the battery. For neither of the two cars above I use any battery tender.

It sounds like a possible 4GS issue. Even if it were indeed because of new types of electronics draining the battery more, clearly it would not be not acceptable. Hope it will be fixed soon and not becoming a common problem with 4GS.
Old 01-06-13, 06:59 PM
2013GS
Rookie

Default Update on 12/10 Battery Issue

Originally Posted by 2013GS
Well, I went out this afternoon to start my 2013 GS350 and found the battery was dead. Yes we have another GS350 with a dead battery. There were no lights left on, no open doors and I didn't leave any keys in the vehicle. I last used the car Saturday night and it was fine. I called Lexus roadside assistance and they called AAA.

AAA told me I had 5.9 volts in the battery. They told me that the alternator was fine but the battery did not appear to be charging correctly and should be replaced. They also said I had a higher than normal draw on the battery.. Since it was too late to get to the dealership before it closed they are going to have to come back again tomorrow. to jump the vehicle again so I can drive it to the dealership.

We will see what the dealership says tomorrow..
Now that the holidays are over I finally have some time to update everyone on my situation with the battery dying. I took the car to the dealership on 12/11 after getting it jump started by roadside assistance. By the time I got to the dealership the battery was fully charged. The dealership stated everything checked out fine and wanted to give me the car back an hour later until I protested. They kept the car for a week testing the battery on a regular basis and measuring the draw on the battery. After a few days of telling me everything was fine they told me they detected an abnormal draw and were contacting Lexus. Lexus told them that the draw was well within normal limits.

The only thing that Lexus came up with was that they have noticed that due to the type of technology used in the remote key that the key (and any spare keys) should be stored far from the vehicle because the key causes a significant draw on the battery when it interacts with the vehicle.

So after keeping the vehicle for a week, the dealer performed no actual repairs and returned the vehicle to me. Personally, I don't trust the vehicle. I also find the explanation Lexus gave to be strange becase my previous Infiniti had keyless ignition and I never had any battery issues with it. We'll see what happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery died for no reason