GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Clearcoat question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-12, 07:16 AM
C6Driver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearcoat question

I bought my 2013 GS about 3 weeks ago. I drove it home on a light rainy day and when I came home, I decided to lightly dry off the car when I noticed a drag on the towel on a several places so I stopped and instead decide to give it a thourough wash and detail that weekend. On that follwing Saturday after a complete hand wash, I polished the car, put 2 coats of sealer and finished it off with a Pinnace Souveran Paste Wax. The results were fanatastic. Yesterday I washed the GS after a few days of use in the rain but as I was drying the car, I noticed a drag once again all over the front end of the car. I rubbed my hand on the car and felt a film that had adhered to the clearcoat that washing did not remove. I decided to clay the car and sure enough the clay bar showed a tremendous amount of residue that came off and the clearcoat was once again smooth.

I replaced a 2000 GS and have never had this issue.

My question is this: Is the clearcoat on the new GS a little different in that it bonds easier with contaminants? Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-03-12, 07:30 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

no i haven't experienced that problem. try using an IPA wipe down.
Old 11-03-12, 07:34 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry... I'm going to ask a slightly OT question. Why did you polish the car (it's new!) and if you noticed a drag, why didn't you clay it?
Old 11-03-12, 08:10 AM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Driver
I bought my 2013 GS about 3 weeks ago. I drove it home on a light rainy day and when I came home, I decided to lightly dry off the car when I noticed a drag on the towel on a several places so I stopped and instead decide to give it a thourough wash and detail that weekend. On that follwing Saturday after a complete hand wash, I polished the car, put 2 coats of sealer and finished it off with a Pinnace Souveran Paste Wax. The results were fanatastic. Yesterday I washed the GS after a few days of use in the rain but as I was drying the car, I noticed a drag once again all over the front end of the car. I rubbed my hand on the car and felt a film that had adhered to the clearcoat that washing did not remove. I decided to clay the car and sure enough the clay bar showed a tremendous amount of residue that came off and the clearcoat was once again smooth.

I replaced a 2000 GS and have never had this issue.

My question is this: Is the clearcoat on the new GS a little different in that it bonds easier with contaminants? Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks for your help.
fisrt of all u never polish a brand new car,the car came with a special sealant wax on it, when u polish it, ur messing the car up, all u do wash it and use spray on wax , or the quick retailer.u can clay it, and hand wax it cpl of times and get that Wolf's hard body sealant on it, so u wont have that problem ever again.good luck.
Old 11-03-12, 11:23 AM
C6Driver
Driver School Candidate

Since I do not know the quality of the wax or sealant that comes with a new car, I always start from scratch. (for the last 20 years or so) After I washed the car for the first time, I did not notice a drag when I dried it so I didn't clay but I wanted to put on my own sealer and wax, so I used a very light polish to start things off.

This was one of the first rains we have had this season so maybe there was just a lot of grim that stuck. This is only the third time it has rained since a May.
Old 11-03-12, 04:43 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wax/sealant on a brand new car? I never heard of that one before?

Most of the times, these cars sit outside and need a clay bar right off the lot.

Looks like you solved the problem with the clay. I just sealed mine today and it could have used the clay, but still is smooth.
Old 11-03-12, 05:16 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

that's why the professional detailers have a service called "New Car Prep". they strip the factory crap off the car, and use a light polish to remove any imperfections or in some instances... spot polishes. then seal and wax with the product of your choice. mind you your car has been on the water for a week or more in a vehicle carrier, then it sits in port for god knows how long unless it's a special order. some are then delivered by train(rail dust) or trucks. when your car reaches the dealer, they do not take the care that you would on your car. i've seen first hand what some dealers do to shine up a car for a customer. they are there to sell units not keep your car swirl and scratch free let alone care about the contaminants that adhere to your paint while it sits in the lot. drive your car off the lot with the plastic still on and in it... take it home and do it yourself. wash, foam ,clay, polish, wax etc.... if done right you will not harm your paint whatsoever.
Old 11-03-12, 09:09 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
that's why the professional detailers have a service called "New Car Prep". they strip the factory crap off the car, and use a light polish to remove any imperfections or in some instances... spot polishes. then seal and wax with the product of your choice. mind you your car has been on the water for a week or more in a vehicle carrier, then it sits in port for god knows how long unless it's a special order. some are then delivered by train(rail dust) or trucks. when your car reaches the dealer, they do not take the care that you would on your car. i've seen first hand what some dealers do to shine up a car for a customer. they are there to sell units not keep your car swirl and scratch free let alone care about the contaminants that adhere to your paint while it sits in the lot. drive your car off the lot with the plastic still on and in it... take it home and do it yourself. wash, foam ,clay, polish, wax etc.... if done right you will not harm your paint whatsoever.
Totally agree. I have waxed every new car I've ever had. I call it the "welcome home". I've never had any issues with the paint. Thanks to the Wolf's Hard Body, it repels water and looks great!
Old 11-03-12, 10:50 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
Totally agree. I have waxed every new car I've ever had. I call it the "welcome home". I've never had any issues with the paint. Thanks to the Wolf's Hard Body, it repels water and looks great!
that Hard Body is definitely a must have. there is another one D, that i am researching. it's called 22PLE Glass Coating it looks real good on the car paint. saw a Ferrari detailed with it and it was amazing (and the car was Silver). think i'll stick with HB for now. don't forget to get you some wolfs nano shampoo and Wolfs quick detailer to maintain that HB. Phil at DD is getting a shipment of nano shampoo from Budapest in a week or so. for now i'm using Auto Finesse Lather shampoo. he also said the Lusso Oro is a good shampoo that won't degrade the HB.
Old 11-03-12, 10:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
fisrt of all u never polish a brand new car,the car came with a special sealant wax on it, when u polish it, ur messing the car up, all u do wash it and use spray on wax , or the quick retailer.u can clay it, and hand wax it cpl of times and get that Wolf's hard body sealant on it, so u wont have that problem ever again.good luck.
Thats all totally untrue. There is no "special sealant" on the car. It might have a coat of crappy wax slapped on by the dealer.

No reason not to polish and wax a brand new car.

The OP's issue is likely just harsh bonded contaminants from transport, now that it clayed it will likely be fine.
Old 11-04-12, 05:14 AM
2013F
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
that Hard Body is definitely a must have. there is another one D, that i am researching. it's called 22PLE Glass Coating it looks real good on the car paint. saw a Ferrari detailed with it and it was amazing (and the car was Silver). think i'll stick with HB for now. don't forget to get you some wolfs nano shampoo and Wolfs quick detailer to maintain that HB. Phil at DD is getting a shipment of nano shampoo from Budapest in a week or so. for now i'm using Auto Finesse Lather shampoo. he also said the Lusso Oro is a good shampoo that won't degrade the HB.
Have you tried Zaino?
Old 11-04-12, 06:29 AM
Mojo122
Driver

Originally Posted by 2013F
Have you tried Zaino?
Zaino is a good product. I had been using it since 1999 and didn't think I would ever use anything but Zaino. Then I saw the pictures that Syd posted showing off the Wolf's Hard Body. I've tried the Hard Body now and am pretty impressed so far. Have to really see how it is in the long run. Please excuse the iPh0ne picture quality.

To be honest, Zaino is a good product as it can be layered and lasts a long time, so while I'm currently rocking Wolf's I can't knock Zaino.

Syd, thanks for showing off Hard Body

Last edited by Mojo122; 11-04-12 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Spelling :)
Old 11-04-12, 06:50 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

That's three enthusiastic raves about Hard Body now. Darnit, I may just have to buy some. I was holding off (I've spent a lot of money on detailing stuff.. more than two of my finance payments ).

M
Old 11-04-12, 07:13 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-pow...FbQ7Ogod-20ACw

I use this stuff, holds out a long time
Old 11-04-12, 07:18 AM
2013F
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mojo122
Zaino is a good product. I had been using it since 1999 and didn't think I would ever use anything but Zaino. Then I saw the pictures that Syd posted showing off the Wolf's Hard Body. I've tried the Hard Body now and am pretty impressed so far. have to really see how it is in the long run. Please excuse the iPhne picture quality.

To be honest, Zaino is a good product as it can be layered and lasts a long time, so while I'm currently rocking Wolf's currently I can't knock Zaino.

Syd, thanks for showing off Hard Body
In your opinion, which is easiest to apply? I also used Zaino's leather in a bottle for my Corvette interior, have you used their interior products?

Quick Reply: Clearcoat question