GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Front Wheels, BRAKE DUST!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 05:12 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation F-Sport Front Wheels, BRAKE DUST!!

Holy Moly, after a five mile drive, there is brake dust lined over the front wheela, after 3 days forget about it!!!

I mean, the brakes aren't even that awesome to have an excuse for the brake dust. I know it is the pads, has anyone switched their's out?

This is about my only complaint
Old 10-16-12, 05:34 PM
Masteron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 3k on mine and they still dust up fast. Drives me nuts!

Just gives me an excuse to wash her more lol.
Old 10-16-12, 05:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

on the 3gs people complained enough that lexus issued tsib to swap out to dustless pads (a little sacrifice on performance). seems like it's the same story all over again on the 4gs.
Old 10-16-12, 06:21 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I have 3000 miles, no dust.

Could be AWD vs RWD
Old 10-16-12, 06:48 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 5000 miles and no build-up.
Old 10-16-12, 07:35 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i haven't had a problem with brake dust. and now that my wheels are silver i still don't have that problem. although i do have 2 coats of wolfs rim shield on the silver wheels. i wash my wheels once a week but when i do wash i never see build up.
Old 10-16-12, 07:40 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexson
Holy Moly, after a five mile drive, there is brake dust lined over the front wheela, after 3 days forget about it!!!

I mean, the brakes aren't even that awesome to have an excuse for the brake dust. I know it is the pads, has anyone switched their's out?

This is about my only complaint
its a common problem on all of them, if somebody says there is no brake dust I don't blv it, just slide ur finger and ck it out, its nasty, I am just waiting for a one the companies I deal with to come up with ceramic pads, I will be seeing Akebono at the SEMA show at las vegas and keep u guys potsed, that is one of the best brake pads I sold and used.
Old 10-16-12, 08:04 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
its a common problem on all of them, if somebody says there is no brake dust I don't blv it, just slide ur finger and ck it out, its nasty, I am just waiting for a one the companies I deal with to come up with ceramic pads, I will be seeing Akebono at the SEMA show at las vegas and keep u guys potsed, that is one of the best brake pads I sold and used.
I agree, if I get it in a five mile drive, then everyone else has to have the build up. The actual wheel turns a different color.

I am going to speak with Lexus tomorrow.
Old 10-16-12, 08:36 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nexson
I agree, if I get it in a five mile drive, then everyone else has to have the build up. The actual wheel turns a different color.

I am going to speak with Lexus tomorrow.
Don't waist ur time, they wont do anything about it, I am working on it, give me some time, I know it sucks looking at it witb all that brake dust, my Tacoma has Akebkno brakes on it, and its amazing, stops good and no brake dust.
Old 10-16-12, 11:17 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My '08 BMW 328i w/ Sports Package had amazing brakes along with huge amounts of brake dust!

My 4GS has minimal brake dust in comparison!
Old 10-17-12, 07:03 AM
Shadow0039
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by faifai83
My '08 BMW 328i w/ Sports Package had amazing brakes along with huge amounts of brake dust!

My 4GS has minimal brake dust in comparison!

My previous BMW 523i F10 & Merc C200k had worse brake dust problem in comparison !! Of course, it would be good to know whether this problem can be resolved with other pads without compromising on the performance : )
Old 10-17-12, 09:14 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

But don't the RWD have larger brakes than the AWD? Again, it looks like the 3 people who have said no brake dust are all driving AWD.

UPDATE: When I got back from lunch I took my index finger and swiped a spot on my driver side front wheel. I have 78 miles on the car since it has been washed. I got a minute amount of black dust on my finger...but not OMG!!!!!111!!Juan!!!111! type dust...and nothing that would warrant washing the car/wheels today.

Last edited by jtrue28; 10-17-12 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-17-12, 11:51 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Ok who ever said they have no brake dust is for sure lying to them self. Larger brakes or not it's the pads that create the dust, also i have a awd fsport with 18.500km on the odo. And i have crazy brake dust but dosent bother me grew up with alot of sports car and i tell you no sport car will have no brake dust. Just wash the rim if it really bothers you that much. And to who ever said the brakes are not that good gots to be trippin. The are very good took it to the track and it was amazing minimal brake fade and i can brake much later before i enter the turn. Unless you been driving cars with 6 piston brake or more then i understand where your getting at. And those 3 awd say they have no brake dust must cant tell from rim colour to brake dust because when i first pick up my awd fsport back in late FEB right on day one had brake dust.
Old 10-17-12, 12:03 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSTONY
Ok who ever said they have no brake dust is for sure lying to them self. Larger brakes or not it's the pads that create the dust, also i have a awd fsport with 18.500km on the odo. And i have crazy brake dust but dosent bother me grew up with alot of sports car and i tell you no sport car will have no brake dust. Just wash the rim if it really bothers you that much. And to who ever said the brakes are not that good gots to be trippin. The are very good took it to the track and it was amazing minimal brake fade and i can brake much later before i enter the turn. Unless you been driving cars with 6 piston brake or more then i understand where your getting at. And those 3 awd say they have no brake dust must cant tell from rim colour to brake dust because when i first pick up my awd fsport back in late FEB right on day one had brake dust.
, u know whts up.
Old 10-17-12, 12:06 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GSTONY
dun, it's not that serious, you're upset about what? i don't have to explain but i will. i said i don't have a problem with brake dust and never see build up. my wheels are cleaned once a week and i also have rim shield on the wheels. my wheels are silver, so yes i hope i know what color brake dust is. i've had 2 F-Sports since Feb. i will see dust on my finger when i rub the wheel but not a lot. maybe i should have been more specific.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Front Wheels, BRAKE DUST!!