GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Front Wheels, BRAKE DUST!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 07:03 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted earlier that I don't have a problem with brake dust. There is some but it is lite. However I have F- sport wheels on a lux. I wonder if the diff. In brakes on F-Sport give off more brake dust than the regular brakes?
Old 10-18-12, 12:05 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

My "Luxury" trim package wheels (split-nine-spoke) are loaded with brake dust inside the wheel, along the interior rim, and on the interior spokes. The outside spokes of the wheels collect brake dust at a normal rate for a semi-metallic type brake pad. Switching to a ceramic brake pad would create less, and lighter colored, dust at the expense of lower friction and thermal performance.
Old 10-18-12, 03:34 PM
ExtrmeLex
Rookie

After 500 miles the car did have some brakedust. But its easy to clean off. Dont they already sell ceramic brakes for this car?
Old 10-18-12, 04:09 PM
emcman
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Dust

My wife has an 350 F sport AWD and brake dust is really not an issue and she added chrome wheels and will use the stock for winter tires though not the ideal size at 19".

My BMW is way worse if that make any different. Stops on a dime though.
Old 10-18-12, 05:16 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by emcman
My wife has an 350 F sport AWD and brake dust is really not an issue and she added chrome wheels and will use the stock for winter tires though not the ideal size at 19".

My BMW is way worse if that make any different. Stops on a dime though.
yeah... my sister in law has an X5 and i swore her wheels were black... i said "are you serious clean your wheels".
Old 10-18-12, 07:48 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The front wheels on my F-Sport get noticeably dull after a couple of days of driving, so yes, there is brake dust, but my Audi S5 wheels were worse so I'm used to it. The only issue is that the F-Sport wheels are dark already, so if I want any kind of shine from them I have to keep them really clean.
Old 02-13-13, 03:24 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally dustless brakes for the 4th generation!!

HOLD OFF ON BUYING THE PADS!!!!!

I was INITIALLY told by EBC in the U.S. that these will fit. However, based on HIZGSF's inquiry I did some more research. I then got Three different answers from three different people at EBC!! The U.S. office is telling me that there is no distinction in their specs so that usually means they are the same application. Another guy at EBC said the pads will work because pads and calipers are the same regardless of year. He did not know however if the rotors were bigger in the FSport. I then called the UK head office. They didnt know and could not confirm. I then called Lexus who said they have two different brake pad parts for the GS and the Fsport.

So now I am unsure myself.

I will probably cancel my order now based on this new info. What I need to do is find a shop that has them in and can compare the OEM pad with the EBC pad side by side as it seems even the manufacturer themselves don't know for sure if they will fit. I will continue my search and report back when I find more info.

Well, after a season of cleaning my wheels daily I am happy to announce that EBC RED STUFF has a Ceramic pad that will fit the front of the 2013 GS F Sport!! YAHOO!!!

These are great pads and will cut the dust 90%. I used an inferior pad on my last Beemer and found they cut the dust as advertised. They stop the car great as well. I just ordered mine now!!

The part # for the front pads is here: DP-31589C. (These also fit the 2011 IS350 front as well! They tested and found that they are the same pad specs.)

However, they do not have a pad for the back yet. They are still producing the pads for the back which will be in distribution soon. That part # will be DP-31850C.

I bought mine at CARID.com. They have them listed for $102.00 free shipping. Great guys.
http://www.carid.com/2013-lexus-gs-b...s-4211185.html

They did a price match for me with a site I found called Partsgeek.com who had them for $83.00.
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=dp31589c&x=0&y=0

Partsgeek did not have great reviews on their shipping and their website sucked for communicating with them etc so I sent it to CARID and they matched it based on their Price Match Guarantee.

Happy shopping ladies and gents!

Last edited by JOELC; 02-18-13 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-13-13, 04:36 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! please report back your review once you get them.
Old 02-13-13, 05:16 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info. Please post review.
Old 02-13-13, 06:52 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Outrage
My "Luxury" trim package wheels (split-nine-spoke) are loaded with brake dust inside the wheel, along the interior rim, and on the interior spokes. The outside spokes of the wheels collect brake dust at a normal rate for a semi-metallic type brake pad. Switching to a ceramic brake pad would create less, and lighter colored, dust at the expense of lower friction and thermal performance.
I wonder if anyone has tried the Duralast Gold Cmax pads from AutoZone. Website says they have them for the non-Sport 2013 GS 350. I had these installed on my Shelby GT500 and they have been excellent! Thinking about trying them on the GS.
Old 06-16-13, 03:54 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Default Update on ceramic pads

Bendix (the company who makes make of the OEM brakes on the market) has the back ceramic Low Dust brake pads for the REAR WHEEL FSPORT. The part # is 1391. They are working on the fronts but no release date yet. Akebono is also working on a front set but no release date yet.
Old 03-31-14, 03:46 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Default Update on low dust pads f sport rwd

I have been in contact with every brake manufacturer from Bendix to EBC over the winter waiting for a ceramic low dust pad. It seems Centric, one of the largest OEM brake manufacturers has one out. I have ordered it and received it. I will be putting them on the 2nd week of April and i will let you know if they fit and how it goes.

Just wanted to send a quick update for all those dying to get something on before this season. The dust completely scored my OEM wheels over the winter. No way I want another summer of bad dust with my summer wheels on.

Will keep you posted.
Old 04-01-14, 02:33 AM
HizGSF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JOELC
HOLD OFF ON BUYING THE PADS!!!!!

I was INITIALLY told by EBC in the U.S. that these will fit. However, based on HIZGSF's inquiry I did some more research. I then got Three different answers from three different people at EBC!! The U.S. office is telling me that there is no distinction in their specs so that usually means they are the same application. Another guy at EBC said the pads will work because pads and calipers are the same regardless of year. He did not know however if the rotors were bigger in the FSport. I then called the UK head office. They didnt know and could not confirm. I then called Lexus who said they have two different brake pad parts for the GS and the Fsport.

So now I am unsure myself.

I will probably cancel my order now based on this new info. What I need to do is find a shop that has them in and can compare the OEM pad with the EBC pad side by side as it seems even the manufacturer themselves don't know for sure if they will fit. I will continue my search and report back when I find more info.

Well, after a season of cleaning my wheels daily I am happy to announce that EBC RED STUFF has a Ceramic pad that will fit the front of the 2013 GS F Sport!! YAHOO!!!

These are great pads and will cut the dust 90%. I used an inferior pad on my last Beemer and found they cut the dust as advertised. They stop the car great as well. I just ordered mine now!!

The part # for the front pads is here: DP-31589C. (These also fit the 2011 IS350 front as well! They tested and found that they are the same pad specs.)

However, they do not have a pad for the back yet. They are still producing the pads for the back which will be in distribution soon. That part # will be DP-31850C.

I bought mine at CARID.com. They have them listed for $102.00 free shipping. Great guys.
http://www.carid.com/2013-lexus-gs-b...s-4211185.html

They did a price match for me with a site I found called Partsgeek.com who had them for $83.00.
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=dp31589c&x=0&y=0

Partsgeek did not have great reviews on their shipping and their website sucked for communicating with them etc so I sent it to CARID and they matched it based on their Price Match Guarantee.

Happy shopping ladies and gents!

Thank you for following through and providing information of what's out there to help eliminate or reduce the brake dust issue. To my understanding you ordered a set of EBC brake pads. So, how is the fit and dust issue?
Old 04-01-14, 10:09 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

@JOELC

So do you have a RWD, or AWD?
Old 04-01-14, 11:49 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JOELC
I have been in contact with every brake manufacturer from Bendix to EBC over the winter waiting for a ceramic low dust pad. It seems Centric, one of the largest OEM brake manufacturers has one out. I have ordered it and received it. I will be putting them on the 2nd week of April and i will let you know if they fit and how it goes.

Just wanted to send a quick update for all those dying to get something on before this season. The dust completely scored my OEM wheels over the winter. No way I want another summer of bad dust with my summer wheels on.

Will keep you posted.
Carid has both front and rear Akebono ProAct ACT118, ACT1391 ceramic pads.

http://www.carid.com/2013-lexus-gs-b...-17426601.html

Anyone know if these will fit '13 2WD FSport? This brake squeaking is driving me insane! And they just replaced both front pads and rotors just 10k ago.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Front Wheels, BRAKE DUST!!