BMW to a Lexus - New owner thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 01:10 PM
ego29iste
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW to a Lexus - New owner thoughts

History:
It has been 2 weeks since I got my 2013 GS F Sport AWD. This is the first Lexus I have ever owned though they do run in the family. My dad is on his second GX SUV. To date I have primarily owned BMWs (2011 BMW 335i Convertible and 2000 BMW 328i with Dinan Stage 2 upgrade). They were both purchased brand new. Some of the other cars that I have had the pleasure to drive have included the 2002 Mazda Miata (manual) and a 2006 Acura TSX (manual). I purchased the BMW convertible thinking it would be a keeper. It certainly was a looker! I received more than my fair share of my compliments on that car cruising with the top down. It had 19 inch staggered summer wheels and an 18 inch winter set. That car had what one would call presence and had all the bells and whistles with an MSRP of 63,000 USD.

After the honeymoon phase passed I started noticing little rattles in the hardtop mechanism that after countless visits to the dealer still remained an issue. The final straw came when their head tech indicated that there would be some rattles because it was a 3 series and therefore not high enough up in the food chair to merit better materials. He also went on to note that if I kept bringing the car back in for rattles he would eventually have to charge me for labor. Keep in mind this was a brand new car that I purchased with about 10 miles on the odometer. Also realize this car costs more than most new 5 series (528 or 535). That was a turning point for me… I did bring the car a few more times to see if they would charge cause I would love to have used some of the retainer I have with my attorney to understand exactly why they won’t fix a persistent rattle for a brand new car under warranty. Anyway long story short they didn’t charge me and ended up trying to fix the issue again and giving me some type of silicone gel that I could apply to the rubber seams. In my college days, I used to have time to detail my car on my own. However, now when all my free time is used up the last thing I want is to work on the car. Another irritant were the run flat tires. They started out fine but with about 6000 miles on them they started to get very loud and provided a less than luxurious environment. So I was driving around in a car that generated a lot of positive compliments, ladies loved getting rides in it on warm summer nights, handled well, and had a good audio system. However, I was unhappy whenever the top was up and while I was stuck in traffic. All these factors led me to think a change was needed.

The Decision:
My initial thought was the new BMW 535i and that certainly would have been the natural transition. I knew about the run flats and an interior that I found nice but slightly on the clinical side. The car looked solid but heavier and felt like some of the athletic responses of the prior generation 5 were muted this time around. Plus the 5 series was beginning to look rather commonplace. The Audi A6 I eliminated based on past sales experience and “perceived” reliability issues. I had looked into the current S5 prior to purchasing my BMW and the sales experience was amateur hour that was a total turn off. The E class is on the verge of a re-design which was a shame cause the location of the dealer was convenient and they provided great service during my sales visit. Infiniti M – the design never appealed to me and it seems to place last in most comparison tests. One car that I probably should have road tested was the Jaguar XF but during the purchase process that car just didn’t register on my radar. So on my way to the BMW dealer I decided to stop by Lexus and try out the new GS so I could say I did my due diligence. I never made it to the BMW dealer.

Picky… but not picky enough:
I knew what I wanted… StarFire Pearl exterior with Cab Interior. F-Sport AWD with all season tires. I got bored of having the wheels and tires changed for the BMW as the seasons changed. I also wanted the Mark Levinson audio system since I was used to good audio systems. My 2000 BMW had an aftermarket set up and my 2011 BMW had the HK audio upgrade. Here is where I ran into snags. Cabernet interior was not easy to find. Mark Levinson also appeared to be a rather rare beast. Both the dealers I went to didn’t have one in stock and didn’t look too thrilled to factory order. To be honest the wait time of 3-4 months was a bit too much for me to stomach as well. I sent an email to the corporate office of one dealer and got a call from the dealership management. They found one with all my requirements except for the Mark Levinson audio. They offered a great package in terms of my trade in and wanted to know if I would be interested. The wait was now two weeks and not 3-4 months. I took a few extended test drives and decided that standard audio system was acceptable. Mind you not great… not a 7 or 8 out of 10. More of a 5 or 6 out 10 depending on the type of music you played.

Two Weeks In…:
The car has 800 miles on it so I am done with the official break in but I am going to take it easy till I hit a 1000 miles since I buy my cars as opposed to leasing. However, I do have a few thoughts to share with current owners and potential new owners. The BMW got more looks – it was a more attractive car in the traditional sense. The GS has an impressive front end but the sides and the back of the car fail to live up to the aggression put forth by the face of the car. The 19 inch wheels help but not enough. Black is probably the best color in terms of getting an aggressive look for the GS but I knew I wanted the StareFire Pearl going in… so this was a non issue for me. Just wanted to mention it because I am sure it is important to some drivers. The GS looks the part of an expensive executive sedan but the looks aren’t arresting. Personally, I am OK with it cause I wanted a car that was less flashy.

The interior is definitely a key strength of the GS. It helps reduce stress levels when you are stuck in traffic. I am glad I held out for the cabernet interior. It definitely adds some nice interest to the car as opposed to the more traditional choices. However, there are a few misses. The interior door handles and locks should not have been plastic and should have been some sort of a metal and more substantial. I am less bothered by the faux metal by the cup holders. The real aluminum trim is nice but on the driver’s side window it projects a reflection of itself. The blind spot detection helps but this is the first time I noticed this in a car. It is not ideal but certainly something you can work around and definitely not a show stopper. The trunk should have had a button to close it automatically. It is expected for cars playing in this price bracket. Power outlet – most people don’t smoke but most people who buy performance cars have radar detectors. They should have had one by the cup holders to cater to this crowd. Cordless detectors are nice but have limited range and I am not interested in exploring how to dip into the electrical system of the GS to hardwire a radar detector. On a separate note, if you get the paint protection film then you might experience a whistling sound from the driver's side mirror. Removal of the film from that side mirror usually resolves the problem. For some reason it seems to impact the air flow resulting in that whistling sound. Also first thing in the morning or after the car has been sitting for awhile when I start it up it makes a slight diesel like sound... it is hard to describe. It goes away in a minute or so once you start driving. Anybody else experience this? Other than that I have not yet experienced any rattles and hopes it stays that way. The car is nice and quiet as you would expect from this brand.

Mark Levinson:
I have heard this system in other cars and it sounded good. I really wanted it in my GS but a factory order meant a ridiculously long wait. So I gave it up because I thought I could live with the regular audio system. Now that I have had some time to live with the car I think the standard system is adequate and even good depending on the genre of music. However, if you like your music to have some bass this system is not up to the task. There are days where I feel I can live with it and other days where I have a twinge of regret for not holding out for the Mark Levinson audio. If I keep the car long enough I might be tempted to go the aftermarket route. However, I have not kept cars more than 2 years so this is unlikely. Note to self: stop buying cars and start leasing them moving forward.

The Drive:
Nice drive, controlled body roll which is not excessive, adequate power and decent steering feedback. The initial turn in of the front wheels into a corner is impressive but the rest of car doesn’t seem to follow that nimble front end into the corner with the same ease. Don’t get me wrong it isn’t bad but this is definitely not the pinnacle when it comes to this department. But given the size and purpose of this car I think it does a solid job on this front. Sports + mode helps further reduce body roll though I wish it was even more aggressive. While there is a difference from the standard mode to Sports and Sports + it isn’t a drastic change. Overall, considering the mission of the car I have no issues on the handling front and I am pleased with the ride. If I came across as critical it was only to temper the excitement so nobody walks into this car thinking it handles like an M5. Eco mode – I have used it a few times when I am sitting in traffic and just cruising on the highway. No real comments on the eco mode… it seems fine and the car feels a bit more relaxed.

I am hovering around 800 miles today so I have had a few chances to push her though I have not yet red lined her. Wanting to take it easy it for awhile longer before I start diving into that area. The few times I did press on the accelerator you get those nice “zoom zoom” sound piped into the cabin. Nice touch and adds a bit to the sporty character of the car. My first impression is that the engine could use some more power and torque. That right here right now feeling of being pushed to the back of your seat is so so. More torque would help address this issue and make the drive more engaging. Perhaps a mid cycle refresh will see a supercharged or turbo GS? On the flip side the engine is smooth but the nature of that smoothness is very different from a BMW inline six. I think I like the sonic profile of the BMW a bit better but then again you don’t have any whines of the turbos spooling up with the GS unlike in the 335i. The brakes are solid and provide confident stops. I hope they don’t lose any of their stopping strength with time.

Enform
I have an iPhone 4S. The app works on and off. I have an iPod authorization error that pops up from time to time and the car does not recognize my phone. I need to restart the phone to fix this issue. The apps don’t always work and I usually get some sort of an error. Lexus needs to work out some of the bugs and make it more user friendly. I know Ford took a hit in their quality ratings for issues with their Sync entertainment system. I wonder if the GS and Lexus will have a similar fate in the near future. On a bright note, the Bluetooth system for telephone calls is flawless and the quality is excellent. I am hoping Lexus can push out some updates so the whole Enform experience is near perfection. There is certainly some promise with what they have but it needs some finishing touches.

Dealer Service:
Best I have experienced to date but then again my interactions have been limited. However, their service department seems much more customer service focused and appears more willing to bend over backwards to please you. Thumbs up on this front.

Conclusion:
I will post additional thoughts as I spend more time with the car. For now, I am generally pleased with the car and have no major complaints. I hope you are all enjoying your rides as well.

Last edited by ego29iste; 06-22-12 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-21-12, 01:14 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear another BMW owner switched to and is enjoying his GS F-Sport. I had a 2011 BMW 535i xdrive and it was a terrible car overrall. Too many issues and terrible driving feel. I traded it in for a 2013 Lexus GS F-Sport AWD and I am very very happy!
Old 06-21-12, 01:19 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too came over from BMW, both me AND my wife to be exact. BEST move ever. BMWs are great vehicles, but tend to break, expensive to upkeep and resale values plummet.

Enjoy your 2013 GS!!
Old 06-21-12, 02:37 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

glad to hear your overall impression is positive. i am enjoying the hell out of my GS F-SPORT. i have ML,,, it's a good system but it does have its faults.... not major. am/fm channels,,, volume has to be turned up, sounds better when switched to SAT. bluetooth audio streaming is when the ML really shows it's ***. sound is very good, however the speakers start to vibrate at certain bass frequencies. overall not bad,,, could be better. as far as your cornering experience,,,, your tail doesn't swing around the way you want it is because you have an AWD like me. i've noticed it also. i think the RWD W/DRS will give you the tail swinging you seek.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 06-21-12 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-21-12, 02:40 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is funny to me how really different people are. You seem really methodical, and do all of your research and for crying out loud you haven't red lined her yet!!!!!!!

Me on the other hand just thought today "dang I should of looked at the Audi A6, oh well maybe next car". And on the way home from the dealership I was mashing the gas and hitting corners hard to see what she has.

I disagree with you on your assessment of the handling of the car. The sport+ is a big difference and really makes this car shine when pushed IMO!

Anyway congrats on the new car, and please go out and waste some gas and put your foot into it!
Old 06-21-12, 02:45 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
It is funny to me how really different people are. You seem really methodical, and do all of your research and for crying out loud you haven't red lined her yet!!!!!!!

Me on the other hand just thought today "dang I should of looked at the Audi A6, oh well maybe next car". And on the way home from the dealership I was mashing the gas and hitting corners hard to see what she has.

I disagree with you on your assessment of the handling of the car. The sport+ is a big difference and really makes this car shine when pushed IMO!

Anyway congrats on the new car, and please go out and waste some gas and put your foot into it!
Old 06-21-12, 03:03 PM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoyed the write up. Welcome to Lexus!
Old 06-21-12, 05:17 PM
patbateman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
glad to hear your overall impression is positive. i am enjoying the hell out of my GS F-SPORT. i have ML,,, it's a good system but it does have its faults.... not major. am/fm channels,,, volume has to be turned up, sounds better when switched to SAT. bluetooth audio streaming is when the ML really shows it's ***. sound is very good, however the speakers start to vibrate at certain bass frequencies. overall not bad,,, could be better. as far as your cornering experience,,,, your tail doesn't swing around the way you want it is because you have an AWD like me. i've noticed it also. i think the RWD W/DRS will give you the tail swinging you seek.
A good audio system will always show flaws in compressed music sources (i.e. SAT/mp3/AM/FM.)

To appreciate ML use only CD quality audio.
Old 06-21-12, 07:04 PM
nantang
Driver

I have Mark Levinson audio in my GS450h, and I'm already spoiled. I never tested the regular audio for comparison, as the only one available at the time is the one I got. More choices seem to be coming soon, but I am very pleased with the one I got, a black one with black interior.

Congrats on making the jump.
Old 06-21-12, 07:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for your write-up and impressions. I'm glad you are happy with the car overall.

I came over from an Audi S5 Cab, not because of disatissfaction with the car, but because I needed something more practical. The A6 didn't even make my radar. I miss the S5 torque and overall driving experience, but if I have to have a sedan the GS F Sport is a fantastic car. I agree re: the Cabernet interior. It is really something special.
Old 06-21-12, 08:52 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

interesting in reading it. and glad you made the choice. Sure there are some downfalls but that is bound to be found in any cars. I am sure if some switched from Lexus to BMW they would have some complains ( or a lot) . In any case it was important that you liked the change you made and happy with it.
No wonder Lexus is numbero uno in customer satisfaction.
Old 06-21-12, 11:25 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great to hear. I visited my local Lexus dealer earlier this week and saw quite a few BMW's in the used car section of the lot.

So it looks like you're not the only one that's made the change
Old 06-22-12, 12:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by ego29iste

Conclusion:
I will post additional thoughts as I spend more time with the car. For now, I am generally pleased with the car and have no major complaints. I hope you are all enjoying your rides as well.
Welcome to the Lexus family. I'm sure you will enjoy many more miles in your new Lexus. Please share pics if you can.
Old 06-22-12, 02:14 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Yup, me too! Where's the passion????
Old 06-22-12, 06:53 AM
ego29iste
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djpeakSD

Thank you for all your comments.

@djspeakSD - Your point about me being too research oriented and methodical is funny because I made a career out of risk mitigation and it isn't the first time I have heard similar comments. I should really get a license plate that states "IC RISK") Taking her out for a long drive this weekend and hoping to have some fun (well my idea of fun anyway) with her!!

The GS seems to be attracting a younger demographic. I do hope the new GS is a hit for Lexus so the brand continues to further develop in this direction.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Quick Reply: BMW to a Lexus - New owner thoughts