GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Climate control system and heated seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-12, 02:31 AM
chuckyarla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control system and heated seats

How are people finding the climate control system and heated seats? Specifically;

1. Do you think it warms the car up quickly enough on a cold morning?
2.Does it demist the windscreen quickly enough?
3. Are the heated seats hot enough?

Cheers.
Old 10-12-12, 03:30 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

1…. Hasn’t been quite cold enough yet to use the heater but the temperature gauge seems to rise fairly quickly.
2…. For some reason I find the front screen always seems to mist up quickly especially first thing in the morning, it’s a pity that fords patented the heated screen as this system works really well on my dads focus.
3…. Work a lot better than the MK3 and seem to get a lot hotter quicker.
Old 10-12-12, 04:52 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

My thoughts here:

1) Hasn't been cold enough here either, but based on my benchmark it does better than the beater Civic I had last year
2) I don't find misting a problem if I leave the system in 'auto' (uses AC sometimes). That being said, it doesn't really mist up or stay misted. Again, weather not cold enough
3) Heated seats haven't given me a problem in the last few cars I've driven. The GS350 is the same. Seems to warm up quickly. I also find the 'climate control' (cooling) is one of the best I've had. It absolutely smokes my family's LX570.
Old 10-12-12, 05:26 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no issues, concerns or desire for better performance of the HVAC system in the car.
Old 10-12-12, 06:29 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

GS 350 models equipped with the Cold Weather Package include a "high-intensity interior heater". I have the Cold Weather Package and I haven't had any complaints with the HVAC system thus far. The heated seats will automatically decrease their temperature settings until they are off (3 -> 2 -> 1 -> Off). I find they do not stay on long enough due to this "feature" (which I'm sure this was designed by Toyota's lawyers). Consequently, I need to continuously turn the seat heats on time and time again. The coldest temperatures I've encountered thus far have been in the mid 40 degrees Fahrenheit range.
Old 10-12-12, 06:39 AM
chris5150
Driver School Candidate

Yep heated seats are a bit annoying, dont agree with the 'designed by the lawyers theory'
I find that they do not really get hot enough for me, and that they turn down too quickly.
What I dont understand is that in the CT200 that had heated seats with a dial to vary the heat settings...GS is supposed to be a far more luxuruious, ( and costly car ) and yet gets worse heated seats??...cannot figure at all
Old 10-12-12, 07:36 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chris5150
Yep heated seats are a bit annoying, dont agree with the 'designed by the lawyers theory'
I find that they do not really get hot enough for me, and that they turn down too quickly.
What I dont understand is that in the CT200 that had heated seats with a dial to vary the heat settings...GS is supposed to be a far more luxuruious, ( and costly car ) and yet gets worse heated seats??...cannot figure at all
Heated seats, if they get warm enough, can cause burns if left on for a period of time. I believe that is why auto-off systems are implemented on many vehicles. The GS 350's auto-off system is very aggressive, shutting down the seat in less than 15 minutes. With that said, I don't think the GS 350 seats get warm enough to cause burns even at their highest setting. I agree that they are fairly weak in function. I've been using the second or third highest setting in mid 40 degree weather. Based on that performance, I'd assume that they won't be highly effective when it drops down below 20 degrees.
Old 10-12-12, 08:27 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

So hold up, I thought there was a dealer customizable option to control the heated/ventilated seats to stay on whatever option you set, until the car is turned off, is this not the case? Also, on the 3GS, and any vehicle with the rotary dial, doesn't the heat/ventilation stay on forever, based on what level you have it set on? What am I missing here?
Old 10-12-12, 08:29 AM
chris5150
Driver School Candidate

More 'nannying' I am quite capable of making a decision for the amount of heat I want to feel, give me a dail like in the CT200.
Actually its not really the bum, where I like to feel the heat it is around the small of the back I find it most comforting & warming. Have a Rangerover & a Maserati currently, in both of those the heat felt is a lot higher/better, they do tuirn off after a period too, not got a problem with that but just give me more heat please.
THe GS seems to fall between the cracks, as the lower spec CT has a varible dial and the seats get hotter, and I note on the LS you can configure the temp of the heated seats..it seems the GS has the worse heated seats in the range for some reason. WOnder if they can 'turn them up ' a little at service, ie are they configurable?
THats my moan, but on a positive I find the climate control system absolutley superb, dont think I have moved it off my 22 setting since I got the car, airflow & comfort is the best out of any car I have owned, so I may well forgive them the heated seats!!

Last edited by chris5150; 10-12-12 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added a bit
Old 10-12-12, 08:30 AM
GVVTS
Rookie

Originally Posted by chris5150
Your dealership can turn the "auto" seat heater feature off. Doing this will also keep the seat ventilation system on when you get back in the car if they were on when you left the car.
This is not in the LPS list but the techs can access it with their TechStream computer.
Old 10-12-12, 08:55 AM
kdsr123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heated seats on my moms H2 could get hot enough to burn my leg. I see why lexus put the auto off system. The seats get hot quick, and as long as your car is in normal mode it stays on longer i think.
Old 03-09-13, 04:50 PM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GVVTS
Your dealership can turn the "auto" seat heater feature off. Doing this will also keep the seat ventilation system on when you get back in the car if they were on when you left the car.
This is not in the LPS list but the techs can access it with their TechStream computer.
Does anyone know the exact TechStream menu flow to disable the automatic seat heater ramp down? My dealership claims they couldn't find anything related to the seats.