GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Menu button sticking....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 12:12 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Menu button sticking....

So about a week ago I noticed that my Menu button was sticking and not as crisp as when I pressed the Map button to the right of it. I thought that maybe I had accidentally spilled some sticky fluids from the drinks in my cup holder so I cleaned it out as best as I could but it was still sticking quite a bit. It seems like it was worse in cooler weather and loosened up during warmer weather. Everything still worked fine just that the button was sticking.

Anyways, to make the long story short, I called my local Lexus dealership today and brought the car in for them to take a look and also to see if they can fix it. They took it apart and could not find anything that could cause this nor any sticky residue to be cleaned. They said that they will order me a whole new joy pad with new buttons and replace the whole thing under warrenty. Hooray for Lexus!
Old 09-29-12, 12:20 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
So about a week ago I noticed that my Menu button was sticking and not as crisp as when I pressed the Map button to the right of it. I thought that maybe I had accidentally spilled some sticky fluids from the drinks in my cup holder so I cleaned it out as best as I could but it was still sticking quite a bit. It seems like it was worse in cooler weather and loosened up during warmer weather. Everything still worked fine just that the button was sticking.

Anyways, to make the long story short, I called my local Lexus dealership today and brought the car in for them to take a look and also to see if they can fix it. They took it apart and could not find anything that could cause this nor any sticky residue to be cleaned. They said that they will order me a whole new joy pad with new buttons and replace the whole thing under warrenty. Hooray for Lexus!
that was easy,,, glad you got it taken care of so quickly. now i'll be on the look out for sticky buttons.
Old 01-27-22, 04:03 PM
Cocoin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twice I tried to get the service dept to fix the problem with the sticky menu button. Not much help at all and this last time I was told I would have to replace the whole thing. (Over $2000)
Needless to say I needed time to think. On my way home, I stopped for gas, and while I was waiting, I slid a thin piece of cardboard in the slot below the buttons. Slid it back and forth a little, pulled it out, and voila! It's fixed!! Not kidding!
The following users liked this post:
MacZulu (06-05-23)
Old 01-27-22, 05:37 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I had this issue, the easy fix was taking some rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab. I dipped the cotton swab in the alcohol and dabbed it around the button. Then pressed the button to help loosen up the stickiness. Fixed my heated seat buttons that way. Make sure to let the alcohol dry before starting the car.
Old 06-05-23, 10:59 PM
MacZulu
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cocoin
Twice I tried to get the service dept to fix the problem with the sticky menu button. Not much help at all and this last time I was told I would have to replace the whole thing. (Over $2000)
Needless to say I needed time to think. On my way home, I stopped for gas, and while I was waiting, I slid a thin piece of cardboard in the slot below the buttons. Slid it back and forth a little, pulled it out, and voila! It's fixed!! Not kidding!
Thanks for the tip, I used the tooth pick end of a floss bow and it worked like magic. Button back to normal.

I had tried 99% iso and a can of electrical cleaner, but I guess it was actually just rubbing against that little divider.