GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Noisy Engine?!? Why so poor sounding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 11:16 AM
bentleymp2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy Engine?!? Why so poor sounding?

I should warn you, I have no knowledge of engines and why they sound they way they do, or what is normal an what is not. What I do have is experience in Hondas (acuras) and Toyota.
With that said, why are our engines so noisy and cheap sounding? In the lower gears, I guess first and second, while accelerating normally from a dead stop, how come there is all this ticking and struggling sound from the engine? It isn't until third gear that the car feels refined and solid.
It isn't until you are at higher speeds, that stepping on it sounds great.
I parked my car while keeping the engine running, and walked to the hood. I can hear the ticking. I opened the hood, and I can't believe how loud it is. Why?
Why does my 2001 Acura Cl type-s with 127000 miles on it sound quiter and accelerate from a dead stop quiter? Why does this sound like my mother's 2012 4 cylinder Camry?
I love my car, but... why so ****ty sounding when slowly driving around?

Sorry for the negativity.
Old 09-29-12, 01:49 PM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Someone else will probably give you a much more in depth explanation, but basically this ticking noise is normal, it has something to do with the two different types of injectors that the car uses depending on the way you drive it.
Old 09-29-12, 05:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bentleymp2
I should warn you, I have no knowledge of engines and why they sound they way they do, or what is normal an what is not. What I do have is experience in Hondas (acuras) and Toyota.
With that said, why are our engines so noisy and cheap sounding? In the lower gears, I guess first and second, while accelerating normally from a dead stop, how come there is all this ticking and struggling sound from the engine? It isn't until third gear that the car feels refined and solid.
It isn't until you are at higher speeds, that stepping on it sounds great.
I parked my car while keeping the engine running, and walked to the hood. I can hear the ticking. I opened the hood, and I can't believe how loud it is. Why?
Why does my 2001 Acura Cl type-s with 127000 miles on it sound quiter and accelerate from a dead stop quiter? Why does this sound like my mother's 2012 4 cylinder Camry?
I love my car, but... why so ****ty sounding when slowly driving around?

Sorry for the negativity.

it is sound of technology - high pressure direct injection system used in the engine... its what makes that car a great car. without it you would have a camry - 40hp less and more fuel consumption.
Old 09-29-12, 07:17 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We all have different opinions, but I don't find the engine sound noisy or cheap at all. I like it when I step on it and hear the piped-in sounds.
Old 09-29-12, 09:57 PM
bentleymp2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dseag2
We all have different opinions, but I don't find the engine sound noisy or cheap at all. I like it when I step on it and hear the piped-in sounds.
I have no complaints about the sound when I really step on it. I think it sounds great when you really give it some gas.
I just cringe when I am slowly leaving a dead stop.
But hey, if that's what it is meant to sound like, then whatever... I'll just try to tune it out. Or maybe I'll throw in a cool air intake and see if the hiss can drown out the noises. You think?
Old 09-29-12, 10:36 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i don't even hear it anymore (the ticking) guess i'm immune to it. it sounded really loud in the beginning ,,, but not so much anymore.
Old 09-30-12, 04:04 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I also wish the mechanical sounds of the engine were better isolated from the cabin. The sound is not that refined under average acceleration from a stop. I actually complained to Lexus about this. I'm not referring to the ticking sounds you hear when you're outside the car (which is actually the injector solenoids, not the direct injection). Of course I'm coming from an LS 430 so anything will sound noisier. But the engine noise in my other cars sound more refined in the passenger compartment to me.
Old 09-30-12, 09:48 AM
bentleymp2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gkcmilner
I also wish the mechanical sounds of the engine were better isolated from the cabin. The sound is not that refined under average acceleration from a stop. I actually complained to Lexus about this. I'm not referring to the ticking sounds you hear when you're outside the car (which is actually the injector solenoids, not the direct injection). Of course I'm coming from an LS 430 so anything will sound noisier. But the engine noise in my other cars sound more refined in the passenger compartment to me.
You, my friend, know exactly how I feel!
Old 09-30-12, 11:37 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ticking sound is a bit louder then I would have expected, but who really cares...close the door and problem solved!
Old 09-30-12, 12:05 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Same ticking sound in the 3GS....it seems to have gone away after all these years....or I am just immune to it now.
Old 10-01-12, 05:49 AM
ExtrmeLex
Rookie

Ahh!! I was worried as well since my car only has 50 miles on her. I too was worried.
Old 10-01-12, 07:19 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gkcmilner
One solution would be to swap in the air-intake of the 3GS thus removing the sound-generator (and noise) of the 4GS intake. Since they're the same 3.5L engine, it would be a simple plug-and-play.

I know several 4GS owners in Singapore who did precisely that. They ordered the 3rd gen GS350 air-intake from Sewell Lexus (the 3rd Gen GS350 never made it to our shores, we made do with the GS300) shipped it over and did the swap with no modification required.

Last edited by natnut; 10-01-12 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 07:24 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

The direct injection employed by the engine fuel system is the cause of the "clicking" or "tapping". The fuel injection pressures created by such a system are significantly higher than those of a conventional fuel injection system.
Old 10-01-12, 10:38 AM
bentleymp2
Pole Position

No longer discussing the ticking...
As gkcmilner put it,
"I also wish the mechanical sounds of the engine were better isolated from the cabin. The sound is not that refined under average acceleration from a stop."
So could one of the issues be a lack of sound deadening in Toyota and Lexus cars. Are the mechanical noises of the motor so present in lower gears because Toyota/Lexus went cheap on sound deadening?

Last edited by bentleymp2; 10-01-12 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 05:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If you want a quite car you should have gone with a Buick Lacrosse AWD 3.6L...

Enjoy your LUXURY SPORT SEDAN

And the Lexus DI 3.5 Is very refined. You want coarse go drive an Infiniti with the VQ37

Quick Reply: Noisy Engine?!? Why so poor sounding?