GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Noisy Engine?!? Why so poor sounding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 07:47 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i hear nothing on the highway or local driving,,, my car is quiet, i have to turn up the music so that i can hear some type of noise. i find the 2013 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport to be very quiet. not as quiet as the LS but quiet none the less.
Old 10-01-12, 08:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bentleymp2
No longer discussing the ticking...
As gkcmilner put it,
"I also wish the mechanical sounds of the engine were better isolated from the cabin. The sound is not that refined under average acceleration from a stop."
So could one of the issues be a lack of sound deadening in Toyota and Lexus cars. Are the mechanical noises of the motor so present in lower gears because Toyota/Lexus went cheap on sound deadening?
you said before you like the sound during acceleration? The issue is that since it is "Sports Sedan", it has tube going from the engine to the cabin so you would hear the engine noise better.

otherwise, mechanical noise at low gears is due to direct injection as explained before.

if that annoys you, you should look into ES350... it is very quiet, no engine sounds in the cabin and no direct injection.
Old 10-01-12, 09:51 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bentleymp2
No longer discussing the ticking...
As gkcmilner put it,
"I also wish the mechanical sounds of the engine were better isolated from the cabin. The sound is not that refined under average acceleration from a stop."
So could one of the issues be a lack of sound deadening in Toyota and Lexus cars. Are the mechanical noises of the motor so present in lower gears because Toyota/Lexus went cheap on sound deadening?

I think the insulation from 3GS to 4GS is the same. The difference is that Lexus deliberately created a sound generator in the air-intake of the 4GS in order to increase the sound during hard acceleration.

Like I said in my previous post, this "additional" sound can be easily defeated by swapping out the 4GS intake and swapping in the 3GS intake.
Old 10-01-12, 10:38 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ticking sound is from the direct injection, which is being applied across the board in many new cars, including Benzes and BMWs. The new 328i for example sounds like a diesel at idle.
Old 10-02-12, 04:59 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
One solution would be to swap in the air-intake of the 3GS thus removing the sound-generator (and noise) of the 4GS intake. Since they're the same 3.5L engine, it would be a simple plug-and-play.

I know several 4GS owners in Singapore who did precisely that. They ordered the 3rd gen GS350 air-intake from Sewell Lexus (the 3rd Gen GS350 never made it to our shores, we made do with the GS300) shipped it over and did the swap with no modification required.
You missed the point. It is the mechanical sound under MODERATE acceleration. It is NOT the intake noise from the sound generator. I LOVE the sound from the sound generator, and I don't know why anyone would want to remove that. But to hear that, you must be under somewhat heavy acceleration.

Also, as I stated before, it is not the ticking sound from the injector solenoids that bothers me (you don't hear the ticking inside the cabin). It is more of a mechanical whirling/friction sound. It could be a combination of engine, transmission, and drivetrain. Whatever the cause, turning the music louder is not an acceptable resolution; that's what I did as a kid when my Volvo had a cracked exhaust manifold.
Old 10-02-12, 08:23 AM
bentleymp2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gkcmilner
You missed the point. It is the mechanical sound under MODERATE acceleration. It is NOT the intake noise from the sound generator. I LOVE the sound from the sound generator, and I don't know why anyone would want to remove that. But to hear that, you must be under somewhat heavy acceleration.

Also, as I stated before, it is not the ticking sound from the injector solenoids that bothers me (you don't hear the ticking inside the cabin). It is more of a mechanical whirling/friction sound. It could be a combination of engine, transmission, and drivetrain. Whatever the cause, turning the music louder is not an acceptable resolution; that's what I did as a kid when my Volvo had a cracked exhaust manifold.
Once again! You get it!
Not the ticking... Not the beautiful sound under somewhat heavy acceleration... But the "whirling/friction" sound!

I'm just happy I'm not alone.
Old 06-10-13, 05:58 AM
Jq3
Driver School Candidate

I hate to bring back an old topic, but since I'm new to Lexus I have to comment on this noisy engine! It's noisy and although, it is"normal" it is FAR from sounding refined. I guess in any other non luxury vehicle it would be acceptable, but for Lexus I find it annoying.

Other than the side mirrors not being power fold and the truck not being powered, these are the only issues I have with the car. A 50k+ car should have power folding side mirrors and trunk!

Last edited by Jq3; 06-10-13 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-10-13, 07:23 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jq3
I hate to bring back an old topic, but since I'm new to Lexus I have to comment on this noisy engine! It's noisy and although, it is"normal" it is FAR from sounding refined. I guess in any other non luxury vehicle it would be acceptable, but for Lexus I find it annoying.

Other than the side mirrors not being powered and the truck not being powered, these are the only issues I have with the car. A 50k+ car should have power side mirrors and trunk!
Can you help me understand what happens when you press the arrows right above the window switches?
Old 06-10-13, 07:52 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is sound of technology - high pressure direct injection system used in the engine... its what makes that car a great car. without it you would have a camry - 40hp less and more fuel consumption.
Greatest answer!
Old 06-10-13, 07:54 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Jq3

Other than the side mirrors not being powered and the truck not being powered, these are the only issues I have with the car. A 50k+ car should have power side mirrors and trunk!
I agree with the bolded part.
Old 06-10-13, 08:49 AM
Jq3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by faifai83
Can you help me understand what happens when you press the arrows right above the window switches?

Sorry, I should have said "not having power folding side mirrors". I edited my original post. Sorry for the confusion!
Old 06-10-13, 09:27 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Bentleymp2

We also went from a 2001 Acura CL Type-S to a 2013 GS.

I agree with you 100%. It is hard to believe that they couldn't come up with a way to make a motor that didn't sound like it has valve problems (something probably only us older owners would remember).

My son had a 2013 BMW 535 and it doesn't make the clicking sounds. So much for when they try to tell you that all new cars make this sound.

Again we love the car but the clicking sounds does not seem like something you would expect in a Lexus
Old 06-10-13, 11:48 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was said before.

The sound you hear is the High Pressure fuel system. The mechanical fuel pump on the pass side rear cam cover. The second set of larger heavy duty injectors that spray fuel dirrectly into the engine cylinders during the compression stroke.

This all together is how we get 306hp and still have 20+ MPG out of a 3.5L V6 engine. Like everything else in life, you have to give a little to get more.

I'll accept it.
Old 06-10-13, 04:00 PM
Jq3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bill_GS3
It was said before.

The sound you hear is the High Pressure fuel system. The mechanical fuel pump on the pass side rear cam cover. The second set of larger heavy duty injectors that spray fuel dirrectly into the engine cylinders during the compression stroke.

This all together is how we get 306hp and still have 20+ MPG out of a 3.5L V6 engine. Like everything else in life, you have to give a little to get more.

I'll accept it.
Sorry, but I do not accept it!!! If we as the consumer just accept things as they are presented to us, we'd be without some of our best technologies! In the 70's it was said that big block engines due to gas mileage restrictions weren't capable of getting good gas mileage and still put out high hp. Well people said "No we want both!". Now look at us today, V-6's putting out more hp than big blocks of the muscle car era with great gas mileage! Even though the engine is noisy as all get out, it is powerful for a V-6.

If Lexus wouldn't have built their reputation on refinement I and others probably could accept the engine's noisy nature. Lexus set the bar for themselves. I'm just trying to hold them to it! You and others should too! They can do it if you scream loud enough, but quietness is a form acceptance.
Old 06-10-13, 04:56 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I would imagine inside the car has to be dead silent for you folks to hear this noise on the freeway or you must have superior ears that can detect this sound from the rest. I guess when you want to complain, you can always find something to complain about.

Quick Reply: Noisy Engine?!? Why so poor sounding?