Wind noise through sun (moon) roof at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 03:06 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Wind noise through sun (moon) roof at highway speeds

Hey folks,

I did my first long highway road trip this past weekend (6+ hours of driving) and noticed that there is a significant amount of wind noise coming through the moonroof (when the sunshade/cover is pulled back). The noise almost disappears with the cover pulled forward, but the noise is heavy when the moonroof is exposed.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was driving about 90-120km/hr (~55-75mph).

Thanks!
Mehran
Old 09-04-12, 03:11 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
Hey folks,

I did my first long highway road trip this past weekend (6+ hours of driving) and noticed that there is a significant amount of wind noise coming through the moonroof (when the sunshade/cover is pulled back). The noise almost disappears with the cover pulled forward, but the noise is heavy when the moonroof is exposed.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was driving about 90-120km/hr (~55-75mph).

Thanks!
Mehran
yes sir i have. my shade was opened slightly and i heard the noise. the wife asked what the hell was it,,, i looked up and asked her to close it,,, no more noise. but i was doing around 80/85 MPH. i don't hear it with the shade closed.
Old 09-05-12, 01:13 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Bump. Is this something everyone experiences? I guess what I'm looking for is someone who says it's not an issue so I can take it back to get looked at...
Old 09-05-12, 01:23 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mehran how You've been and how is the gs doing? I will let u know when I come back today from work as I never use the moon roof
Old 09-05-12, 02:40 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Hey Tony, life is good. No complaints other than not having enough time to do everything I want to do. Also have a second child due in January (another boy).

The GS is great and still spotless (and I haven't driven through any large puddles either (sorry to hear)). Did our first long roadtrip (3+ hours of driving) this weekend to Collingwood, Muskoka, and then back home. I have to say that this is the first car where I don't get road fatigue. Loving it.

Also got to enjoy the S+ handling on some windy roads up in Muskoka. I do wish that there was an option to turn on S+ (stiffer handling and suspension) without affecting the shifts/transmission. While I like the aggressive shifting, it's a bit intrusive with a sleeping child and inquisitive wife in the car.
Old 09-05-12, 02:59 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

2 boys going to be trouble haha. Glad your still enjoying that gs of yours . Only complaint I have on my car is it lacking power wish it had 20 more hp then I be happy. The flood was horrible never seen that in my life but glad my car is fine and they gave me new headlight no question ask. Your right about sport + they should just stiff up the suspension on sport and sport + gives you everything that would of been good. Well good talking to you again we should get a meet going like we said a whole back.
Old 09-05-12, 07:29 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Agreed - I'm game for a meet almost any weekend in October (traveling a bit in September). I was planning on washing, claying, and applying two coats of sealant in the fall as well. We'd only be able to get one coat done (to let it cure), but we could plan around that if you're up for spending a few hours away from home.

Very excited about two boys. My wife and I are very happy and lucky. I've gotten a lot of warnings though about how 2 boys are 4x the work (my one guy is already a handful. Awesome, but a handful).

With the S+, I actually came to appreciate the stiffened feeling on the windy Muskoka backroads. It's cool, because now I notice the stiffness in every day driving too (it wasn't as apparent before).

There will always be "20 more hp". I do agree a bit, but the car still has more power than what I originally expected, so I'm pretty happy.

Take care for now, PM me to let me know if you want to organize a get together.
Old 09-05-12, 07:35 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bump. Is this something everyone experiences? I guess what I'm looking for is someone who says it's not an issue so I can take it back to get looked at...
I haven't heard any wind noise with the shade open. I do remember when I had my '99 SC300 the wind noise was bad with the shade open and was told they were all that way. I would think Lexus would have perfected it in 14 years.
Old 09-06-12, 06:21 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Maybe I'm confused???

When my sunroof is closed...sunshade open all the time...there is "NO" wind noise.

Of course with sunroof open...there is "obviously" some wind noise???
Old 09-06-12, 01:14 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
Maybe I'm confused???

When my sunroof is closed...sunshade open all the time...there is "NO" wind noise.

Of course with sunroof open...there is "obviously" some wind noise???
That answers my question. My sunroof is closed, sunshade is open.. and I get noise. I guess it's something else I'll have to get checked out... arrgh.
Old 09-06-12, 05:57 PM
codraw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my sunshade open most of the time...did not hear any noise...
Old 09-06-12, 06:05 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Likewise here, drive usually with the sunshade closed, but the is no wind noise with the sunshade open.
Old 09-06-12, 09:45 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Thanks guys. I never noticed it before either. I only noticed it on the 3 hour drive home this weekend (my two year old son was asking for it to be opened, and my wife was asking for it to be closed). I got to noticing it when she made me close it... Normally I don't play with the sunshade while driving and leave it as is (closed normally).
Old 09-18-12, 09:06 AM
NG2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to update to this thread because I had similar issues. Sun Shade Open - Moonroof Closed and I had considerable wind noise at 60+mph.

I took it into my dealer and they worked on it for 4 hours (65 miles they put on the car...) and seems to have gotten the issue resolved. Apparently the need to adjust two connectors on the front of the moonroof from below and will "lessen" the noise. I can now drive at 70+ mph with the sun shade open and don't feel the need to adjust the radio volume "up" or close the shade due to noise.
Old 09-26-12, 04:28 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

just took my car in for this and there is now a bulletin on it and they will know what to do. haven't tried it yet.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android

Quick Reply: Wind noise through sun (moon) roof at highway speeds