GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Wheels - Unremovable Spots

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-13, 07:51 PM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Id say whoever is cleaning your wheels is using an acid based wheel cleaner. Causes problems on some wheels. Id say use a pH neutral wheel cleaner. As for the marks, try using an all purpose cleaner followed by iron x and tar remover. If this doesnt shift those marks, use a clay bar. Hopefully that will sort out the marks.
Thanks, I figured the person washing my car used some sort of strong chemical base which stained the wheels. i will try out what you stated and hopefully it will remove the stains.
Old 03-10-13, 08:01 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

yep, sonax or p21s wheel cleaner. both are ph balanced. also, you can find griots over the counter now with the BBS approved wheel cleaner. good stuff, pricey but safe and strong.
Old 03-10-13, 08:53 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the best way to remove caked on brake dust?

i used sonax wheel cleaner a few weeks ago, it worked very well but i guess i had missed some spots on the edges of the wheels so there is brake dust looking material that comes off if i aggressively scratch it off with my fingernails, its not that noticeable but what is a good cleaner to remove it?

moving forward going to just stick with soap and water.
Old 03-10-13, 08:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

If you wash the car regularly, all you need is soap and water
Old 03-10-13, 09:19 PM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I do wash my car regular but the person i normally go to was out of town so another detailer was washing my car and he decided to use some sort of wheels clearer because i had a lot of road salt on the wheels and thought it would help remove the road salt. so noticed the stains on the wheels couple of days later but the odd thing is that the stains are only on the front of the wheels not the rear which to me that is so strange.
Old 03-10-13, 09:47 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
+1 .... Soap and water always worked well for me too but I wash my cars regularly myself.

I'm not sure what to recommend for people that live in harsh environaments or don't wash the car regularly.
Old 03-10-13, 10:57 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrsardar
the odd thing is that the stains are only on the front of the wheels not the rear which to me that is so strange.
It's probably because the front wheels get much hotter than the rears due to the larger diameter rotors which take on more of the stopping load. Wheel cleaner should never be sprayed on a hot rim as it can cause damage similar to yours. It's also a good idea to never spray water onto a hot set of rotors as it may cause warping especially if they are very hot.
Old 03-11-13, 10:25 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
what is the best way to remove caked on brake dust?

i used sonax wheel cleaner a few weeks ago, it worked very well but i guess i had missed some spots on the edges of the wheels so there is brake dust looking material that comes off if i aggressively scratch it off with my fingernails, its not that noticeable but what is a good cleaner to remove it?

moving forward going to just stick with soap and water.
Try Iron X, works a treat!
Old 03-11-13, 10:36 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Try Iron X, works a treat!
thanks.

is it a harsh product?
Old 03-11-13, 01:41 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
thanks.

is it a harsh product?
Nope, it is PH neutral and you can even use it on ur paint! As well as your glass and plastic. Completely safe product. Its used for decontamination. Its main purpose is to remove metal fallout from below the paint's surface, hence, removes the little rust spots and iron fallout from brakes. Iron X is rather expensive, however, if BILT HAMBER KORROSOL is available where you live, it is just as good and is much cheaper for the same amount!

BTW these products react with metal and turn purple, dont be alarmed, they have a dye to let the user know that the car is contaminated, just rinse off with a hose or pressure washer and youre done, no more brake dust
Old 03-11-13, 02:26 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Nope, it is PH neutral and you can even use it on ur paint! As well as your glass and plastic. Completely safe product. Its used for decontamination. Its main purpose is to remove metal fallout from below the paint's surface, hence, removes the little rust spots and iron fallout from brakes. Iron X is rather expensive, however, if BILT HAMBER KORROSOL is available where you live, it is just as good and is much cheaper for the same amount!

BTW these products react with metal and turn purple, dont be alarmed, they have a dye to let the user know that the car is contaminated, just rinse off with a hose or pressure washer and youre done, no more brake dust
thanks for info
Old 03-12-13, 06:27 AM
Igor911
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using a 50/50 mix of simple green and water for years to clean my wheels with ZERO issues. Try that next time around, stay away from those wheel acid based cleaners
Old 09-06-13, 11:50 AM
Moneakel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see it's been about a year since you posted this but I'm having this same problem and it looks very similar to yours. I have tried Armour All cleaner that claims to be a great cleaner for factory wheels but it wasn't able to remove those spots. Were you able to find out exactly what caused this problem and was Lexus helpful in any way?
Old 09-07-13, 07:07 AM
hambone525
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue with my F-Sport wheels and I don't use wheel cleaner at all.
Attached Thumbnails F-Sport Wheels - Unremovable Spots-wheel1.jpg   F-Sport Wheels - Unremovable Spots-wheel2.jpg  

Last edited by hambone525; 09-07-13 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-07-13, 07:34 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys letting your cars sit outside after it's rained and not cleaned the wheels for a while? Do you have hard water and sprinklers are going off next to your car? Cause I know hambone as a fellow Texan, our hard water down here sucks, and that might also be the cause. Still shouldn't do that though.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Wheels - Unremovable Spots