GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Wheels - Unremovable Spots

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 09:34 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Looks like it's from your tire dressing. Try Dawn or alcohol.
Old 09-07-13, 10:20 AM
hambone525
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it's all said and done this should not happen. I have had all kinds of wheels and this has never happen. The blemishes are actually under the clear coat.
Old 09-10-13, 03:01 AM
hambone525
Rookie

I dropped my GS off to the dealer yesterday for the blemishes on the wheels. I guess we will see what happen today.
Old 09-10-13, 12:00 PM
hambone525
Rookie

Lexus is going to put new wheels on my GS-F Sport
Old 09-10-13, 12:12 PM
bean006
Driver

Originally Posted by hambone525
Lexus is going to put new wheels on my GS-F Sport
CONGRATS!!! New set of wheels!!
Old 09-10-13, 06:15 PM
hambone525
Rookie

Originally Posted by bean006
CONGRATS!!! New set of wheels!!
Thanks but who's to say the same thing will not happen again. While I was at the dealer today another GS-F was in for service and I checked his wheels and it had the same thing going on as mine did.
Old 09-10-13, 06:49 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I don't let my wheels get really dirty, but I've not encountered what many of you are describing. I'm thinking that this was likely a bad batch of wheels. Otherwise, there would be a lot more flak flying around from this.
Old 09-29-13, 06:55 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hand washed my F Sport today and noticed the stains also. I thought it was from tire dressing from the 2 car washes I had done previously at the dealership (Park Place), but who knows. It does look like it's under the clear coat.

Between this and how bird crap etches the clear coat in a matter of seconds, I'm wondering what's going on with the coatings Lexus is using.
Old 09-29-13, 07:16 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw it on my wheels today close to the tire. Havent washed my car in a month and I think it embedded itself into the wheel. I have learned to pick my battles.
Old 02-24-14, 04:23 PM
CleaneLexo
Driver School Candidate

I also have this issue here in Miami, fl. I took it to the dealer today and the service guy said it was from the tire dressing. He mentioned that it happens to some wheels and some not, so I figured he's seen it before. I asked him how to get that removed and his response was to take it to get the wheels refinished...Not going to hapen. So I went back later in the evening and spoke to a sales person just to see if he had something different to say and his response was that a degreaser was used to clean the wheels and that stains the wheels.
Now this car is leased so I asked if this was going to be an issue if i decide to give it back and he stated it wouldn't be a problem as long as the wheels aren't cracked.
So do I believe this BS being that it can be degreaser or tire dressing or just make a phone call to corporate because Ive never had this happen before to any of my wheels.
Old 02-24-14, 05:25 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Call corporate, never take a chance on a lease car. They could ding you for it despite what the salesman said, especially if they're blaming tire dressings. I had a 2004 G35 with the normal silver painted wheels, they were clear coated and for 7 years they never got a single stain despite all the conditions they went through.

The coating is faulty, pure and simple, and Lexus should replace them free of charge.
Old 02-24-14, 06:51 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CleaneLexo
I also have this issue here in Miami, fl. I took it to the dealer today and the service guy said it was from the tire dressing. He mentioned that it happens to some wheels and some not, so I figured he's seen it before. I asked him how to get that removed and his response was to take it to get the wheels refinished...Not going to hapen. So I went back later in the evening and spoke to a sales person just to see if he had something different to say and his response was that a degreaser was used to clean the wheels and that stains the wheels.
Now this car is leased so I asked if this was going to be an issue if i decide to give it back and he stated it wouldn't be a problem as long as the wheels aren't cracked.
So do I believe this BS being that it can be degreaser or tire dressing or just make a phone call to corporate because Ive never had this happen before to any of my wheels.
The first words are always blaming the owner. I would ask them what it is in the dressing or degreaser causes the problem, and warn them to think long and hard about the answer because different products have different "ingredients" in them and he has no idea which (if any) products you have used.

I had a Mazda CX9 that had stains on the wheels when picked up the vehicle new. I just assumed it was some grunge and would clean right off. I tried everything and nothing phased it. I went back and they swapped wheels/tires off another vehicle and took it up with Mazda.
Old 02-25-14, 01:21 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had similar problems on the wheels of my '08 IS-F. Turned out to be a problem with the quality of the clear coat used by the wheel OEM which many people experienced. The dealer had the wheels refinished, gratis, by a local mobile wheel fixer upper.
Old 02-25-14, 05:17 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I had similar problems on the wheels of my '08 IS-F. Turned out to be a problem with the quality of the clear coat used by the wheel OEM which many people experienced. The dealer had the wheels refinished, gratis, by a local mobile wheel fixer upper.
I would have no problem with that solution. I have use a local wheel shop in Houston a couple of times. Their work is amazing. Having said that, I would tell the dealer that the wheels have to look like new and its up to them to assure that.
Old 05-06-14, 01:55 PM
Aristide1
Driver School Candidate

Default Black Spots on Wheels

I took my 2014 RX350 with 1,400 miles on it to the dealer for the black spots on the wheels. They took photos and will send to the Lexus Regional for approval. I have only had the car washed 3 times. first one was when I picked up the car. Second was a Free wash at the same dealer. I did the 3rd one myself and didnt have any tire dressing or wheel spray. Had my car detailed last weekend and detailer pointed it out before he washed it. This is just not cool. Hope Lexus steps up and replaces the wheels. I still have to take the new car owner survey in my inbox. Let see the service they provide. Seems rediculous that if special care is to be taken with these wheels they need to tell you. My 2005 ES with 130,000 miles has no issues like this!

Quick Reply: F-Sport Wheels - Unremovable Spots