GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS & 2013 ES Side by Side Comparo

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 08:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Both have similar design lines such as grill, sideskirts, etc. Obviously the GS looks the sportier of the two.

I made the thread awhile back that Lexus should discontinue the ES.....and I still feel that way.

Why would a regular Joe or Jane buy the GS for more $$$$$ when the ES is so nice, has more room and costs less?

My prediction is the GS model will not survive unless Lexus does some drastic changes.
Old 08-21-12, 08:44 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can we put the GS bumper on the ES? :-P jk

Then we will have a EGS: aggressive GS look with roomy ES body.
Old 08-21-12, 09:29 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Glaphmion
I understand this strategy for Lexus, but I prefer to have cars in different market segments to be at least distinguishable from one another. BMW 3-5-7 all look very different, and the same goes for MB C-E-S; though less so for Audi 4-6-8.

On the road, I sometimes have trouble telling apart the front of CT and GS, and I'm a guy who can usually identify a car at night just by looking at the oncoming headlight. Now add in ES, LS, and probably IS when it has a refresh, I see this problem only getting worse.

If I'm paying $20k extra for a GS than a CT, I want it to look different, damn it!
Yes, the 3,5 and 7 Series look very different... right! Kidney grille, protruding snout, amoeba lenses, angel eyes, cutline below the windows. Doesn't get much more cookie-cutter than that...
Attached Thumbnails 2013 GS & 2013 ES Side by Side Comparo-imagescaz6tpxh.jpg   2013 GS & 2013 ES Side by Side Comparo-imagescasm36g3.jpg   2013 GS & 2013 ES Side by Side Comparo-imagesca8qiu6x.jpg  

Last edited by dseag2; 08-21-12 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-21-12, 10:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

es is based on avalon now not camry, which is why it's now a lot bigger.
Old 08-22-12, 06:30 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Both have similar design lines such as grill, sideskirts, etc. Obviously the GS looks the sportier of the two.

I made the thread awhile back that Lexus should discontinue the ES.....and I still feel that way.

Why would a regular Joe or Jane buy the GS for more $$$$$ when the ES is so nice, has more room and costs less?

My prediction is the GS model will not survive unless Lexus does some drastic changes.

Uhh a little perspective here : the GS throughout its 4 generations has ALWAYS been released with the ES as its sibling and has yet to be cancelled. Why should it be cancelled now after its previous 3 generations weren't cancelled despite being outsold by the ES then?

Secondly, unlike the GS, the ES is not a global car ie it's not sold worldwide like the GS. The ES is essentially a product meant for North Americans and their predilection for roomy affordable cushmobiles who could care less about sporty dynamic driving, which is why the ES is FWD.

Lexus is embarking on an aggressive drive to seen as more exciting and dynamic with cars that are exciting to drive. For this makeover to be credible, its mid-size offering, (and the mid-size luxury segment is arguably the most important in the luxury car market) HAS to be RWD and sporty. That means the GS. The ES no matter how improved is never going to be regarded as a driver's car.

The GS and ES have very different intended target demographics : GS for the motoring enthusiast, ES for those who view cars as appliances. Even the market leader BMW 5 series reflects this dichotomy of aims. The current F10 5 series is trying to bridge these two competing aims and trying to fulfill the roles of the ES and GS in one car : appliance owners buy the 528 (and 520/523 in global markets) and keep the options list bare-bones while enthusiasts buy the Sport-pack equipped 535 and 550. Even then, it has not been entirely successful. Just go to any 5 series owner's forum and the prevailing consensus is that the new 5 series has lost its sporting edge in an attempt to go mainstream and gain market share ( throttle delay on the turbocharged engines, non-linear throttle response, overweight 7 series-derived chassis, numb steering etc).

Let us all come to terms with this reality right now : enthusiasts will forever and always be a small minority of the market. The reason the E-class and current 5 series sell so well is because they largely cater to the non-enthusiast segment. By doing so, they have also compromised their chassis as driving machines. This has allowed the GS, which is a more finely focused driving tool, to leapfrog the Germans in handling dynamics. The GS by virtue of targeting enthusiasts and keen drivers who have done their research will always appeal to the niche crowd.

I'm very happy about where the current GS is right now. It's sort of like the crown jewel in Lexus' new dynamic drive initiative. The ES/RX brings in the volume and profits but the true heart and soul and affections of Lexus lie in its Rear Wheel Drive dynamic offerings. So I'm all for ES' great sales, their profits continue to finance the R&D into the GS, the plebeians financing the enthusiasts as it were

Last edited by natnut; 08-22-12 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 07:08 AM
NickL
Racer

Received 417 Likes on 269 Posts

I'll take the GS. Can't seem to grow into the front end of the ES when there's a big piece connecting the end of the hood to the grill.
Old 08-22-12, 10:18 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

+1 all the way natnut, especially this
Originally Posted by natnut
So I'm all for ES' great sales, their profits continue to finance the R&D into the GS, the plebeians financing the enthusiasts as it were
Old 08-22-12, 12:24 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Well, they do look similar and the ES is a nice-looking sedan, but if the GS looked like that I wouldn't have bought it. There is something more aggressive looking about the GS. It is almost a more traditional sedan, where the ES looks more organic with a longer front overhang (due to FWD) and lower roofline.
Yupp if the GS did look like the new ES then i would have not even bother looking at it. I would just get a 535 msport.
Old 08-22-12, 12:37 PM
Mojo122
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't driven the 2013 ES, but have driven my wife's 2007 ES. If the 2013 GS drove anything like her ES, I would have wound up with the A6.
Old 08-22-12, 01:55 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I like the ES's rear and the price point (money's worth) is nice but that's about it. I can't stand the grill not lining up with the hood. There's that and the interior materials are once again cost cutting. That's not to say the interior design is bad because it's not. But the expansive plastics on the console is very disappointing for "Tier 1"

On another note, love love love the GS F-Sport.
Old 08-22-12, 03:51 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post, thanks for the pictures!

The new ES looks great...huge improvement over the previous generation
Old 08-22-12, 05:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i like new ES and I wish it was available in europe... but you can see easily it is cheaper car... look at only 2 front parking sensors.
Old 08-22-12, 08:50 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a great view of lots of cars when I'm working out at my gym, and I will have to admit I saw a black ES coming down the road and from the front (because black shows no lines at all), and from four stories up, I thought it was a GS F-Sport. It was the spindle grill and the LED lights that fooled me.

It was only when the rest of the car passed that I heard the "waaahhh, waaahh" sound.
Old 08-22-12, 10:11 PM
jmatero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually like the E'S better. The easiest way to tell them apart from the front is the grille. The ES pinches at the bumper. The GS pinches the grille.