●Copy-protected CD
●DVD audio
●Video CD
●DVD-R
●DVD+R
●DVD-RW
●DVD+RW
●DVD-RAM
Strange you can't play DVD-A in the GS. It plays in the '13 ES. Not the easiest thing to do, due to all the safety crap in the nav, though.
Old 06-30-13, 11:42 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think dvd-audio works, was able to play the demo dvd audio that acuras with the ELS audio come with.

unless thats just a dvd movie used to play audio.
Old 06-30-13, 11:55 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
i think dvd-audio works, was able to play the demo dvd audio that acuras with the ELS audio come with.

unless thats just a dvd movie used to play audio.
It defaults to DD in the ES, so that is probably the layer you heard. I need to go into the menu of the disc (parking brake on, etc...) to select the DVD-A layer. Really, almost not worth the hassle.
Old 06-30-13, 01:42 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too bad they don't just make a universal player for the cars. Though multi-channel discs have faded out, there are a lot of them out there. I have SACD, DVD-A and DTS that I can't play in the car
Old 07-03-13, 06:44 AM
PlatinumSJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should look into getting a Hertz/Audison combo system and make sure whoever is installing it properly mounts your speakers. just my $0.02
Old 07-05-13, 07:01 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
did any owners buy ML audio as a separate item? When you try to build on the website you have to get one of the 10/12k Luxury/FSport packages. On my 06 IS I was able to get ML as a separate option for $900
Did you factory-order your IS?

The configurator on Lexus.com is garbage. I see discussion about this popping up a lot lately. I think people are seriously cross-shopping the GS with the German rivals more than ever, and the crappy online Lexus configurator is tripping people up because it doesn't function like the BMW/Audi configurators. Doesn't let you choose individual options even through it's possible. Fail, Lexus. Fix this.

The ML system on the GS is a $1,380 stand-alone option. Which means you can theoretically order it on a base model with no other options for an MSRP of $49,525.00 (incl destination).

Anyway, thanks to the OP for starting this thread, very interesting and valuable insight.
Old 07-05-13, 07:17 AM
AyrtonS
Driver School Candidate

Thnx for all the great info in this thread
Old 07-05-13, 04:13 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
The configurator on Lexus.com is garbage. I see discussion about this popping up a lot lately. I think people are seriously cross-shopping the GS with the German rivals more than ever, and the crappy online Lexus configurator is tripping people up because it doesn't function like the BMW/Audi configurators. Doesn't let you choose individual options even through it's possible. Fail, Lexus. Fix this.
+1 That is the absolute truth.
Old 07-08-13, 09:27 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnBon20
Is there a HDD for storage of music on the stock system?
Originally Posted by yardie876
Nope, no HDD in the 4GS.
Wow. That's pretty crazy given others in this class have it.
I'm not sure if this applies to other overseas markets but from what I know

In Japan, all JDM versions of the Lexus GS (4th generation model) allow to use the HDD to store music/audio files with a storage allotment of up to 2,000-3,000 songs

Originally Posted by Translated text from Lexus Japan website
Portable music player * 7 You can play music files (MP3/WMA) by connecting directly with, USB memory. Bluetooth ® * 8 AV profile * 9 also supported portable music player support. Also equipped with a sound library function to HDD navigation, up to about 3,000 songs * 10 recording is possible. The Bluetooth ® enabled mobile phone * 11 can be connected to, you can take advantage of the hands-free calls.
Originally Posted by Original text from Lexus Japan website
携帯音楽プレーヤー*7、USBメモリーとダイレクトに接続して音楽ファイル (MP3/WMA) を再生します。Bluetooth®*8AVプロファイル*9対応の携帯音楽プレーヤーにも対応。またHDDナビゲーションにはサウンドライブラリー機能を搭載し、最大3,000曲程度*10の録音が可能です。またBluetooth®対応の携帯電話*11を接続すれば、ハンズフリー通話をご利用いただけます。
http://lexus.jp/models/gs/comfort/au...ion/index.html
Old 07-08-13, 11:34 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We got sharp by Lexus for many things on the 4GS. Take it or leave it!
Old 07-13-13, 08:38 PM
StonedCL
Driver School Candidate

Wow. That's pretty crazy given others in this class have it .
Starting in late 2012 all manufactures took the hdd out of there cars.. There was a class action lawsuit so all manufactures had to take this feature out of there cars in late 2012. I work for infiniti and all our cars had it in the start of 2012 and cars produced later in the year did not have it..now no 2013 have this feature..
Old 07-13-13, 09:12 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

On a random note, after clicking the link I realized that the RHD cars do not have the auxiliary portion of the screen on the far side of the driver. I just assumed they'd switch it to the farther side...
Old 07-14-13, 10:59 AM
tankton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Too bad they don't just make a universal player for the cars. Though multi-channel discs have faded out, there are a lot of them out there. I have SACD, DVD-A and DTS that I can't play in the car
Licensing. DTS is commonly playable on most recent systems, though the CD format is exceedingly rare. As for DVD-A vs SACD, I hate Sony for their frequent shenanigans, and refuse to buy any of their products as a direct result, no matter how good they are vs the competition.

Originally Posted by StonedCL
Starting in late 2012 all manufactures took the hdd out of there cars.. There was a class action lawsuit so all manufactures had to take this feature out of there cars in late 2012. I work for infiniti and all our cars had it in the start of 2012 and cars produced later in the year did not have it..now no 2013 have this feature..
My 2013 X5 has this function, though it also allows navigation use by the passenger, while the vehicle is in motion. Bless BMW, they are probably the last to still allow that, since Honda/Acura lost their guts after 2012 and dropped that ability.
Old 07-14-13, 12:23 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Oh how I wish I could at least have a passenger enter a destination while in motion...
Old 07-26-13, 11:49 AM
JohnBon20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
Oh how I wish I could at least have a passenger enter a destination while in motion...
For sure! I agree!

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson and Premium Audio - Notes from an Audiophile