GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windnoise from Driver's side GS4

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-12, 08:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

must be costing lexus a lot to replace all these windows.
Old 01-10-13, 03:49 PM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. I tried another GS and it had the same noise. Its a fabrication fault. I got a loaner as both IS and RX these three month. All were better.
I love the car anyway even if it has worse noise then my third gen GS. I have started talking with the dealer, Sweden and it seems i am the only one making a fuss about it.

People do need to understand that we dont share the hearing definciency if we dont hear the same noise.
Old 01-10-13, 04:12 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Neogenic
I have the same problem. I tried another GS and it had the same noise. Its a fabrication fault. I got a loaner as both IS and RX these three month. All were better.
I love the car anyway even if it has worse noise then my third gen GS. I have started talking with the dealer, Sweden and it seems i am the only one making a fuss about it.

People do need to understand that we dont share the hearing definciency if we dont hear the same noise.
Do you ever notice whenever you complain about something
you are always the only one to complain?

Those guys are FOS!
Old 01-10-13, 08:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
So there are two different front windows for the GS 350? I wonder if this is a mid-year model change?
I don't think so. I took delivery of my GS in March and have not had this issue.
Old 01-11-13, 11:14 AM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came back from the dealership and the tech told me that he's personally filed about 6 complaints for this wind noise issue. He said that it's has to do with the how the wind circulates around side mirror then hitting the window. Apparently this issue comes up every time on a monthly call with Lexus. I told him about the comments and maybe it's the little triangle, they are going to replace/seal that for me to try.
Old 01-11-13, 05:52 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by Cin8
I just came back from the dealership and the tech told me that he's personally filed about 6 complaints for this wind noise issue. He said that it's has to do with the how the wind circulates around side mirror then hitting the window. Apparently this issue comes up every time on a monthly call with Lexus. I told him about the comments and maybe it's the little triangle, they are going to replace/seal that for me to try.
I've been to the dealer twice regarding the noise issue. First they tried sealing around the triangle, and that doesn't work (look for another post started by me with images pointing out where the dealer added seal material). Next I got new acoustic windows, and that did help a little, but not enough.

On my own I tried a few things, mostly trying to isolate the noise. I taped up every possible gap where air could get around or into. That didn't do any good, so I then tried experimenting with clay.

I am not an engineer by any means, but I like to tinker. I started to put clay in layers around the mirror's leading edge closest to the window to try and change/disturb air flow. Sure enough that did prove one thing, and that was I could make the noise worse... If I could make it worse, certainly someone with aerodynamic engineering skills can design something to make it better.

I believe Lexus already did just that. The new ES and LS already have aerodynamic elements on those little triangles. I am very convinced that's what needs to be added to the GS to better control the wind noise we are experiencing. I'm molding more clay to make my own similar to the ES's this weekend for more experimenting. Hopefully I'll make things better, and not worse.
Old 01-12-13, 01:38 AM
Neogenic
Driver

After a hand wash my car had less wind noise for a good 5min drive. I do think this noise is originating from a glitch that water sealed, not mirror design. This gives me hope for a solution to resolve it. The car is amazing even with a but...

Lexus is quiet because this is a systemic fabrication issue. If your technician and pre production test drivers have hearing deficiency then your miss this side of the story. An audiometer will only register general loudness in the car and it depends on where the mic is placed.

From Edmonds
Sound level @ idle (dB) 39.7
@ Full throttle (dB) 70.0
@ 70 mph cruise (dB)

I do want actually to go further on with this and register frequencies heared in the driver seat. I will purchase an industry class audiometer for this purpose. I will use this istrument in every decision making before a purchase in the future:-) Call me a FOS! :-D
Eventually with aging I will gain more hearing deficiencies and I will not be a FOS. But until then...

Oh, by the way, I was anxious about getting my hand on this car and assumed they will not slip on this matter. Lexus do had a solid reputation for silence. I ordered this car before any test drive.
It will not happen again! I am 44 and this GS is not my last car. Lexus lost one fan now which doubt there delivery based on word.
Old 03-20-13, 07:28 PM
Jseals1
Driver School Candidate

Default Wind noise finally resolved!

They replaced driver and passenger glass with the thicker insulated glass used on the GS350 cold package option. They all just got the new brake pads to resolve my squeaky brakes. Finally a happy camper!
Old 04-23-13, 06:29 PM
teuhl
Driver School Candidate

I do not understand why a TSB has not been issued regarding this problem. I have had my car for about a month and have a wind noise on the drivers side. This thread has been going on for months without a resolution. I do not want o take the car back to the dealer if they do not have a fix. I may try a regional representative initially to see what they say. I am in the Atlanta area. Any suggestions. 2013 GS350 F Sport.

Last edited by teuhl; 04-26-13 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-23-13, 08:18 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teuhl
I do not understand why a TSB has not been issued regarding this problem. I have had my car for about a month and have a wind noise on the drivers side. This thread has been going on for months without a resolution. I do not want o take the car back to the dealer if they do not have a fix. I may try a regional representative initially to see what they say. I am in the Atlanta area. Any suggestions. 2013 GS350 F Sport.
yea, i have wind noise too fro the passenger side, but since the dual pane windows apparently don't really help, i'm also reluctant to take it in.
Old 04-23-13, 08:26 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

the window does not help at all, I just got mine replaced after going to the dealer twice and the problem is the weatherstrips around the door, I just tried putting a thicker weatherstrip around the door it helped little bit, but it was too thick so the other side stayed open, so I am gonna try a thinner one, and i am using a 3M brand, so i will keep u guys posted.
Old 04-24-13, 08:35 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
the window does not help at all, I just got mine replaced after going to the dealer twice and the problem is the weatherstrips around the door, I just tried putting a thicker weatherstrip around the door it helped little bit, but it was too thick so the other side stayed open, so I am gonna try a thinner one, and i am using a 3M brand, so i will keep u guys posted.
thanks for the updates!

i'm pretty **** when it comes to car noises, so even though others say the dual pane windows helped, i'm sure if you're **** and can hear every single noise in the car, it wont help!

i usually have the music on so it doesn't bother me too much.
Old 04-24-13, 07:24 PM
donaldm823
Rookie

Default Gs wind noise mods

Looks like the new GS350s coming out of the factory come with double pane glass so Lexus is being proactive on the wind noise fixes. My GS assembled in DEC2012 has the double panes and does not have the cold weather option. Also ithe clear bra onthe side mirror is not installed

My wind noise does not start until 68mph so I can live with it. My GS is not as quiet as my old LS460 but did not expect it anyway
Old 01-24-14, 05:03 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Just so that GS "wind noise" may be more common that some might want to believe.

My 14 GS has Luxury with Cold weather package and if I am not mistaken, it should have already come with thicker glass. The wind noise on my car is on driver's side. Noise I hear sounds like wind sipping in when I don't close the window all the way up. This noise is right near by left ear.

It was a bit windy in the morning, and it sounded pretty bad, heard it over the radio bad kind of bad. Still love the way it drives, but I am beginning to really hate the noise. I know I can take it to the dealer and have them look at it, but if I wanted to visit dealers often, I would have bought another German car.
Old 01-24-14, 07:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I'm telling you, something is wrong with these cars that have this problem that is not design based. I have no such wind noise, nor do many others. I've had many other quiet cars, two ESs two LSs, our Jeep is very quiet. No more wind noise in my GS than in those.

Take it to the dealer. They can't fix it if you don't let them try.

Quick Reply: Windnoise from Driver's side GS4