GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windnoise from Driver's side GS4

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 09:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

which ones have lux or f-sport package? i believe lux (and maybe f-sport) have double-glazed front side windows where non-lux/f don't ??
Old 08-15-12, 11:01 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phuongpham
Thanks guys! I have brought it back to Lexus 3 times already and they kept saying it is normal. I know what normal is and whats not normal, i ve told them. The windnoise is very loud.

Can you please give me any tips of how to file a complaint?
Bring it to another dealer, have them write up the paperwork for the fix. You will need them trying at least 3-4 times before contact a lemon lawyer.
Old 08-16-12, 05:47 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Phuongpham
Thanks guys! I have brought it back to Lexus 3 times already and they kept saying it is normal. I know what normal is and whats not normal, i ve told them. The windnoise is very loud.

Can you please give me any tips of how to file a complaint?
Look in your Owner's Manual. One of the books that comes with it is a book on warranty issues and that book will tell you how to file a complaint and request mediation. They will appoint a 3rd disinterested party who will mediate the issue between you and the dealer and will decide if your issue is valid. The dealer must abide by the decision and your problem will be resolved. They will either fix your car, buy it back, or give you a new car. Mediation does not cost the customer anything and is effective. I have used it with another Lexus problem years ago and was very satisfied with the outcome. My car has no wind noise other than normal tire noise. Different brands of tires will sound different. If I had your problem, I would ask to drive another similar model and see if it sounds the same as yours. If it does, your car is "normal".
Old 08-16-12, 04:20 PM
CraigerL4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the protective film on the mirrors, I'd bet my pay check that that is the problem. I had the same issue and after going back and forth with the dealership (who said there's no way it could be the film) I got the film taken off and voila ! the noise was gone. To test if it's coming from the mirror or not, get up to highway speed, roll down the window and stick your hand on the back side of the mirror. When I did this, the noise would go way, presumably because I was distrupting the airflow around the mirror. Oddly enough, the passenger side mirror does not create the noise and also has the film. I'm guessing the design of the mirror has it right on the edge of creating the whistling noise and any small change like a film or perhaps angle causes it to whistle. Good luck. I hope Lexus reads these forums and realizes there is an issue and communicates with the dealerships.
Old 08-16-12, 04:43 PM
GSfsport
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i would not expect that^ thats something new i learned thanks.
Old 08-16-12, 05:12 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think so. how are u gonna put ur hand on the mirror and the window down and listen to the noise, the whole problem is it makes the noise with the window up.so????
Old 08-16-12, 08:07 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
Yep, I have the same problem, i get that noise abt 65-70 mph on the freeway, and its kind of annoying.
Mine is silent, but I have not had it above 50 MPH in the three months I have had it!
Old 08-16-12, 08:11 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

2500 miles. Totally silent.
Old 08-20-12, 06:58 PM
CraigerL4
Driver School Candidate

Hey mrpartsman,
Where did you read that the noise only occurs when the window is up? I didn't see that in the thread.
If the noise is coming from the mirror like I and others suggest, it doesn't matter what position the window is in. If it is coming from the mirror, you'll find that the noise intensifies when you put the window down, as it's no longer blocking the noise.
Old 08-20-12, 07:41 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine since the end of June, luxury model, no 3m film. I've got the wind noise problem as well and plan to ask the dealer about it soon.

Could it be that the window doesn't go all the way up to seat properly and wind/air is finding a small gap to make the noise at higher speeds? If anyone takes their car to the dealer soon, can you ask about adjusting the window open/close limits?
Old 08-22-12, 03:36 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Default Windnoise fixed on the 2013 ES???

Take a look at these pics. You may need to zoom in on them where I have the red arrows.

Notice those aerodynamic winglets on the doors by the outside mirrors? I was watching Motorweek's review of the ES last night and they showed a close up of these.

I wonder if those need to be added to the GS to solve the wind noise issue that many of us are having. Looks like the ES and GS share the same mirrors, so maybe? Too much of a coincidence in my opinion.
Attached Images   
Old 08-22-12, 10:24 AM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onexcite
Bring it to another dealer. Wind noise is not acceptable for any Lexus car. The dealer should address your problem, isolate the source and fixing it. Write a formal complain letter to Lexus headquarter about your concern.

You can actually have them trying to fix it to your satisfaction and document all the paperwork. In case you not satisfy the lemon law lawyer could use it for Lexus to buyback your car.
My LS460 has wind noise, and there isn't much of anything that can be done about.

If this becomes a common problem in the GS4, it will stop me from buying one.
Old 08-22-12, 01:00 PM
Mojo122
Driver

Originally Posted by jscgs350
Take a look at these pics. You may need to zoom in on them where I have the red arrows.

Notice those aerodynamic winglets on the doors by the outside mirrors? I was watching Motorweek's review of the ES last night and they showed a close up of these.

I wonder if those need to be added to the GS to solve the wind noise issue that many of us are having. Looks like the ES and GS share the same mirrors, so maybe? Too much of a coincidence in my opinion.
Could be? I haven't noticed the noise (F-Sport with 3M film), but could it be that I just haven't noticed it over the radio playing? Going to drive up on the highway without the radio on and find out for sure.
Old 08-22-12, 01:18 PM
TitanFan
Rookie

I have only had mine for a week but I haven't heard any noise what so ever. Very quite.
Old 08-22-12, 01:33 PM
DrKeith
Driver

1700 miles, Luxury AWD, no film
No noise

Quick Reply: Windnoise from Driver's side GS4