GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

USB player missing playlists, genre, etc., and other shortcomings

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 11:56 AM
dvdsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB player missing playlists, genre, etc., and other shortcomings

I’m surprised (and a little dismayed) that the music player in my new GS provides access to music on a USB drive only by “folder”, “artist” and “album”. What happened to other standard access mechanisms such as “playlists”, “genre”, “composer”, etc.? It would seem a simple programming enhancement to add additional categories since the player reads all the files on a USB drive to build the folder/artist/album lists each time the car is started (and I believe such capability was included in previous Lexus media systems).

I know I can access my music in the car by using these categories on my phone over BT, but I don’t understand why the music player on my phone is so much more sophisticated than the music player in my expensive car!

Unfortunately, there are additional shortcomings in the music player, e.g., always reverting back to “folder” mode when the car is turned off, a surprisingly repetitive (i.e., non-random) randomizing algorithm, and not treating multiple albums for an artist as a holistic collection when paying music randomly. These may seem like trivial issues, and in a first generation music player they would be. But, sophisticated music players have been around now for more than 10 years, and the expected features and functions of such systems are both well understood and standardized. There are similar surprising shortcomings in the radio interface and the navigation system, but those are for other notes.

Fixing these sorts of issues would seem straightforward, if not trivial, since most of the media and navigation systems are software based. But I doubt they will be fixed unless Lexus receives clear and sufficient feedback (comments, criticisms, expectations, suggestions) about them from its customers. I tried to do that through a dealer service department (in writing no less), but it was clear that they are neither expected nor encouraged to pass such communications along. As a new Lexus owner, are there any serious customer feedback mechanisms in place where such comments should be directed?

Last edited by dvdsmith; 08-06-12 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 01:19 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdsmith
I’m surprised (and a little dismayed) that the music player in my new GS provides access to music on a USB drive only by “folder”, “artist” and “album”. What happened to other standard access mechanisms such as “playlists”, “genre”, “composer”, etc.? It would seem a simple programming enhancement to add additional categories since the player reads all the files on a USB drive to build the folder/artist/album lists each time the car is started (and I believe such capability was included in previous Lexus media systems).

I know I can access my music in the car by using these categories on my phone over BT, but I don’t understand why the music player on my phone is so much more sophisticated than the music player in my expensive car!

Unfortunately, there are additional shortcomings in the music player, e.g., always reverting back to “folder” mode when the car is turned off, a surprisingly repetitive (i.e., non-random) randomizing algorithm, and not treating multiple albums for an artist as a holistic collection when paying music randomly. These may seem like trivial issues, and in a first generation music player they would be. But, sophisticated music players have been around now for more than 10 years, and the expected features and functions of such systems are both well understood and standardized. There are similar surprising shortcomings in the radio interface and the navigation system, but those are other notes.

Fixing these sorts of issues would seem straightforward, if not trivial, since most of the media and navigation systems are software based. But I doubt they will be fixed unless Lexus receives clear and sufficient feedback (comments, criticisms, expectations, suggestions) about them from its customers. I tried to do that through a dealer service department (in writing no less), but it was clear that they are neither expected nor encouraged to pass such communication along. As a new Lexus owner, are there any serious customer feedback mechanisms in place where such comments should be directed?

I did all the Lexus feedback & suggestion survey online & by mail long time ago for many many time since my very first Lexus back in 2006 (I've been owned 6 Lexus total but now only 1) and haven't seen a single improvement. In fact, I seen the newest 4GS missing some very basic detail for a mid-luxury sport sedan. I'm surprise that Korean car makers pay attention to minor details & tweaks & listen to their customer feedback, sure they will overtake Japanese in the near feature.
Old 08-06-12, 02:12 PM
dvdsmith
Driver School Candidate

Your experience is discouraging. With Lexus's attention to quality I also expected an equal attention to details. Many people misquote Mies van der Rohe as saying "the devlil is in the details", but what he really said was "God is in the details" -- Lexus would do well to remember that quote (in either form!).

My first surprise with a missing (obvious) feature was the fact that the media system does not adjust/increase the volume setting as speed and noise increase. When I ask about that (assuming I had just not figured out how to set it properly) and told the service manager that a 1987 Mercedes I owned and my current 1992 Mercedes do that very well, the response was more or less "you're kidding".

I started to fill out the new customer Lexus feedback survey, but quit when I realized that the questions didn't ask and provided no way for me to convey what I liked/disliked about the car in any detail.

Last edited by dvdsmith; 08-07-12 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-06-12, 02:21 PM
yamanote
Driver

My first surprise with a missing (obvious) feature was the fact that the media system does not adjust/increase the volume setting as speed and noise increase. When I ask about that (assuming I had just not figured out how to set it properly) and told the service manager that a 1987 Mercedes I owned and my current 1992 Mercedes do that very well, the response was more or less "you're kidding".

I started to fill out the new customer Lexus feedback survey, but quit when I realized that the questions didn't ask and provided no way for me to convey what I liked/disliked about the car in any detail.
Is ASL under the Sound settings missing? That's pretty surprising considering how my old GS and LS both had that feature.
Old 08-06-12, 04:59 PM
dvdsmith
Driver School Candidate

If it has ASL I can't find it -- the service people have told me that it doesn't have it (plus it is not referenced in the Owner's Manual index)! Perhaps that is really the point of this thread -- Lexus should spend money adding features to the software systems, not removing them! As they say in poker -- it's Jacks to open, a nice exterior and good marketing don't cut it!

Last edited by dvdsmith; 08-07-12 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-06-12, 05:41 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it has ASL I can't find it -- the service people have told me that it doesn't have it (plus it is not referenced in the Owner's Manual)! Perhaps that is really the point of this thread -- Lexus should spend money adding features to the software systems, not removing them! As they say in poker -- it's Jacks to open, a nice exterior and good marketing don't cut it!
For sure my 4GS have ASL but I turn it off because when it on, everytime the new song play or you skip a track, the volume turn loud suddenly for couple second then go back to normal. That so annoying and prove there are software bugs on the system. Mine is ML.
Old 08-06-12, 06:29 PM
dvdsmith
Driver School Candidate

You are right -- it does have ASL (though I don't have ML)) and ASL is supposed to adjust "volume and tone according to the vehicle speed, wind noise or other noise" (page 475 in the Owner's Manual). Nonetheless, it does not appear to do anything in response to speed or noise -- i.e, we are constantly having to turn the volume up as speed increases and down as it decreases in order to maintain a (reasonably) constant level of sound. And the dealer service people did tell me it does not have automatic volume control (perhaps that was just a language disconnect because I didn't use the proper acronym!).

What I think the system appears to do is play all tracks at a fairly constant output volume level regardless of how they were recorded (i.e., sound output leveliing, not a trivial feature). But, that is not the same thing as maintaining constant volume relative to ambient noise.

I hope I'm wrong and mine is just broken -- then I could get it fixed!

Last edited by dvdsmith; 08-06-12 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 05:35 AM
kssod
Rookie

I test drove a GS and spent along time playing with the ML and voice control. Compared to my 06 Acura RL and my 12 MDX, there are many shortcomings in the software for the audio. The Lexus has only rudimentary voice control for the audio. In the Acura I can say XM radio preset #, play xm channel #, or even an artist or track from the HDD, iPod or usb. I can also tell it to set the temp to a specific degree, either driver or passenger, change fan speed, etc. There is no hard drive on the ML system, and also the presets do not list the XM station name just #.
All of these are fairly easy software adjustments.
On the flip side, the album art is kinda cool.
Old 08-07-12, 05:49 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are right -- it does have ASL (though I don't have ML)) and ASL is supposed to adjust "volume and tone according to the vehicle speed, wind noise or other noise" (page 475 in the Owner's Manual). Nonetheless, it does not appear to do anything in response to speed or noise -- i.e, we are constantly having to turn the volume up as speed increases and down as it decreases in order to maintain a (reasonably) constant level of sound. And the dealer service people did tell me it does not have automatic volume control (perhaps that was just a language disconnect because I didn't use the proper acronym!).

What I think the system appears to do is play all tracks at a fairly constant output volume level regardless of how they were recorded (i.e., sound output leveliing, not a trivial feature). But, that is not the same thing as maintaining constant volume relative to ambient noise.

I hope I'm wrong and mine is just broken -- then I could get it fixed!
Whew! I'm glad that I'm not the only one with that issue. On my previous Lexus, the ASL was very clearly working. It even had a small indicator whether ASL was at level 0,1 or 2 (indicating how much noise it was detecting, and in turn, indicating how much the volume was bumped up).
On the 4GS, there is no such indicator, and while ASL is set to ON, I do not notice ANY difference in volume regardless of ambient noise.

I do plan to bring that up with the service team when I go for the next servicing - but I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed that.
Old 08-08-12, 07:36 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kssod
I test drove a GS and spent along time playing with the ML and voice control. Compared to my 06 Acura RL and my 12 MDX, there are many shortcomings in the software for the audio. The Lexus has only rudimentary voice control for the audio. In the Acura I can say XM radio preset #, play xm channel #, or even an artist or track from the HDD, iPod or usb. I can also tell it to set the temp to a specific degree, either driver or passenger, change fan speed, etc. There is no hard drive on the ML system, and also the presets do not list the XM station name just #.
All of these are fairly easy software adjustments.
On the flip side, the album art is kinda cool.
You must turn on "Expanded Voice Commands" under the "Voice Settings" menu to enable the voice commands which control the audio and climate control systems.
Old 08-09-12, 11:45 AM
kssod
Rookie

Yes, but hey are still very limited. Only allow temp up or down, not degree. And I do not think there are any additional audio controls.
Old 08-09-12, 04:40 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kssod
Yes, but hey are still very limited. Only allow temp up or down, not degree. And I do not think there are any additional audio controls.
Page 150 of the GS's navigation system manual contains information on the expanded voice commands. Voice commands may be used to control the audio system.
Old 08-13-12, 09:11 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

they have drastically reduced the voice commands from previous years. I'm assuming they reduced certain commands not used often. some of the commands removed were used though, like resume suspend guidance, i'm hungry, it's hot in here. no idea why they would remove them. we can file complaints on lexusnavigation.com

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android