GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dynamic Rear Steering Drivers Please Stand Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 09:49 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dynamic Rear Steering Drivers Please Stand Up

Owners of DRS-equipped 4GS's please chime in on your experience. What are your impressions? Is DRS worth it?
Old 07-12-12, 12:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Owners of DRS-equipped 4GS's please chime in on your experience. What are your impressions? Is DRS worth it?
DRS is an option is eventually being phased out. The New GS already handles great, and DRS does make it a lot sharper, especially in U-Turns.
Old 07-12-12, 01:05 PM
Howiiieee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a F Sport with LDS/DRS. Here is the link to my earlier posts, which includes a DRS review.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-review-2.html

The option is very rare in the inventory. However, if I see it again, I wouldn't hesitate to get it again.
Old 07-12-12, 03:16 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Howiiieee
I own a F Sport with LDS/DRS. Here is the link to my earlier posts, which includes a DRS review.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-review-2.html

The option is very rare in the inventory. However, if I see it again, I wouldn't hesitate to get it again.
Thanks for the link Howiiieee and GREAT write-up. In particular I appreciated this part of your review:
One of the first thing I do when driving a new (or recently owned used or borrowed) car, is take it up to San Bernardino’s HWY18 to Lake Arrow head. It is a very winding and twisting road with two lanes each way for 15 miles. I can drive as fast as I can (without getting caught) and pass many slower cars along the way uphill and downhill. I recommend all driving enthusiasts in or visiting So Cal to “drive by” when possible. Out of all the Bimmers, Lexuses, and Lotus I drove up and down this fun road, the new GS F Sport is the best. The VGRS keeps the car on target, the big wide tires hold the road, the DRS made the curves and hairpin easy to maneuver, and engine and manual gear change keeps the power band to just where you want it. The brakes keep everything safe and under control. It is just a fun car that is very easy to drive and enjoy.
Old 07-13-12, 08:21 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have it. I don't notice it, but the car handles beautifully, so I guess it's worth it!
Old 07-14-12, 03:55 AM
GtiB
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have it
Very nice grip on sharp turns
The car goes at exactly what your pointing at
Old 07-14-12, 07:26 PM
kdsr123
Pole Position

me me me, don't have to slow down on turns..
Old 07-17-12, 07:44 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
DRS is an option is eventually being phased out. The New GS already handles great, and DRS does make it a lot sharper, especially in U-Turns.
Errr.........why would Lexus phase out something as good as Rear-Wheel Steering in the 4GS F-sport?
Old 07-17-12, 09:22 AM
qualityday
Rookie

I tested in fast and slow and decided to opt for a color I wanted over having it.

It's really hard to notice. I think it's smart of lexus to phase it out. As far as comparing turning radius the difference was tiny if anything. I'm talking about driving both back to back.

Lexus had an event at the race track up here. I think the only area I could tell it worked was in the slalom. Other than that it's nothing to seek as far as options go.
Old 07-17-12, 10:01 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by qualityday
I tested in fast and slow and decided to opt for a color I wanted over having it.

It's really hard to notice. I think it's smart of lexus to phase it out. As far as comparing turning radius the difference was tiny if anything. I'm talking about driving both back to back.

Lexus had an event at the race track up here. I think the only area I could tell it worked was in the slalom. Other than that it's nothing to seek as far as options go.
Every few years an automobile manufacturer will offer a vehicle with four-wheel steering. Inevitably, the consumer take rate is low and the option gets dropped in short order.
Old 07-17-12, 10:50 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
Every few years an automobile manufacturer will offer a vehicle with four-wheel steering. Inevitably, the consumer take rate is low and the option gets dropped in short order.
+1 - it's a bit of marketing, to be honest. Not a bad idea.

I decided not to go for DRS for three reasons:

a) potential higher cost of ownership (repairs, maintenance)
b) found the AWD to drive quite well (better than most AWD cars I've driven)
c) availability/negotiating position in Canada.
Old 07-17-12, 11:03 AM
Squirrelsb
Rookie

Have DRS on my 4GS Fsport. Test drove one with and without DRS and could NOT really tell the diff unless I made some hairpin turns/uturns. For the most part, I could have lived without it but it was already added on the car.
Old 07-17-12, 11:29 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Errr.........why would Lexus phase out something as good as Rear-Wheel Steering in the 4GS F-sport?
Low demand, high cost, low ROI.

The new GS already handles great without it. I can only imagine how next LS and IS are gonna be.
Old 07-17-12, 03:05 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

I really like the idea of DRS and would like to get it if only for the minor improvement in handling and reduced turning radius. But I can see how the negotiations could go south if the dealer knew that you wanted it badly. There's only one DRS equipped model at my local dealership (they have 35 GS's in stock)
Old 07-19-12, 12:47 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Low demand, high cost, low ROI.

The new GS already handles great without it. I can only imagine how next LS and IS are gonna be.
Must probably only apply to America (where I guess you can get F-sport even without DRS and LDH).

In other markets (including mine), LDH and DRS comes with it standard in all F-sport versions.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Rear Steering Drivers Please Stand Up