GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Side View Mirror Reflection(s) - Aluminum Trim Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 08:00 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Could it have anything thing to do with the metal coating on the rain repellant glass? Seems like that could cause extra reflection.

Just a thought...
Old 06-27-12, 06:39 AM
sjr200
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tinted my windows with 18% Suntek cxp. I can still see the reflextion of the trim but not nearly as noticeable as before. the glare is gone as well.
Old 06-27-12, 08:49 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Could it have anything thing to do with the metal coating on the rain repellant glass? Seems like that could cause extra reflection.

Just a thought...
No because the rain repellant layer on the glass is transparent, non reflective.
Old 06-27-12, 11:44 AM
danjb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The problem is the REFLECTION on the Glossy Striated Aluminum Trim in certain driving conditions..
Related to direction of the Car and the Location of the Sun's beam of light..
I noticed this for the first time in the last week of driving in very sunny weather, after spending two months in the car. I agree it is non-optimal, but my opinion is it is not a show stopper. I'd far rather see things like the stability of the Enform apps be increased first, or upgrading the rear camera guidelines so they curve as you turn the steering wheel.

I acknowledge that others obviously have different opinions!
Old 07-05-12, 01:41 PM
wlmngtn310
Driver

Exclamation Side View Mirror Reflection

Over the week, I ended up tinting my car. I went with the darkest possible tint available by 3M, as I had a mobile installer come by my office and do the job. I decided to bring in the GS to work today, and I noticed that the stupid mirror reflection is still there! Not only that, now other parts like the vent are showing up as a reflection. At this point, I think it has to do with the properties of the mirror that are causing such a horrible reflection. Keep in mind that the weather is very gloomy here in the South Bay of LA. Ill try to snap a pic once I get me some lunch.

Any ideas as to how we can further bring this to the attention of Lexus? Its soooo damn annoying having that reflection there.
Old 07-05-12, 03:16 PM
wlmngtn310
Driver

Of course there isn't... Lexus USA / Japan has not addressed the issue as of yet...

The problem is the REFLECTION on the Glossy Striated Aluminum Trim in certain driving conditions..

As seen here by "Flipside909".. in this thread... Side view mirror reflection fix?

~ Joe Z
As shown in the picture, and also stated in my previous comment; not only is the aluminum trim creating a glare, but also the vent and surrounding area. So its seems its not the clear coat that is causing such a glare.
Old 07-05-12, 03:34 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I usually drive with the window open, so it is rarely an issue for me.
Old 07-05-12, 05:33 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

It's been eleven thousand degrees lately, touch rolling the windows down.
Old 07-05-12, 05:48 PM
wlmngtn310
Driver

I loved driving with the windows open on my coupe, I just can't get used to doing the same with the 4 door...
Weird, I know..
Old 07-05-12, 06:03 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Today, I noticed that the nickel trim around the black wood also reflects in the mirror / window. But, it doesn't cover a large area. I see the same with the vent trim in the mirror / window of my Prius.
Old 07-05-12, 06:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

reflecting trims inside the car is normal.... actually have that on every car. on all my cars (including my s550 now), i can see the reflections of the internal trims if i choose to focus so. but the key is reflection. if it's not reflecting too much sunlight, it's ok, brain will quickly focus on the objects in the mirror. but aluminum + clear coat + angle (important) reflecting sunlight, that becomes the problem
Old 07-05-12, 07:57 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I see it, but it's no big deal for me because I usually drive in the left lane (fast lane) anyway. I love the clear-coated aluminum, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Lexus deemed it a driving hazard and replaced it with Linear Espresso Wood! IMO, that would look sharp with the Cabernet interior.
Old 07-05-12, 11:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

what does driving in the left lane have anything to do with this? as i mentioned, i see this on both driver and passenger side mirrors

plus i hope you actually use your driver side mirror when you go from slow lane to fast lane (i know, this is just a joke )
Old 07-06-12, 06:32 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

So how long did they claim they road tested the 4GS before releasing it to the public? Apparently they didn't road test an F-Sport with aluminum trim...
This is a major concern and a road hazard. For those with brand loyalty and making up unrealistic excuses such as rolling down windows and driving on the left lane, etc. need to get their head out of their a$$. This is a major design flaw by Lexus. Hope they fix it in the next year model.
Old 07-06-12, 06:50 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Of course there isn't... Lexus USA / Japan has not addressed the issue as of yet...

As seen here by "Flipside909".. in this thread... Side view mirror reflection fix?

~ Joe Z
Am I the ONLY one who hates the look of the 4GS side view mirrors? It just looks too big and bulky to me- honestly is prefer the mirrors from a 2GS onto a 4GS

Quick Reply: F-Sport Side View Mirror Reflection(s) - Aluminum Trim Discussion