GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Side View Mirror Reflection(s) - Aluminum Trim Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 09:28 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't think there is a fix. The problem is, the clear coat on the trim pieces, along with the reflective nature of "metal" is what creates the glare. Obviously the only way to fix it would be to remove the material causing the glare, ie clear coat or metal. Just a design flaw they will learn from and probably discontinue on MY14.

So you're affiliated with Sewell, OP?
Old 06-26-12, 09:51 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I don't think there is a fix. The problem is, the clear coat on the trim pieces, along with the reflective nature of "metal" is what creates the glare. Obviously the only way to fix it would be to remove the material causing the glare, ie clear coat or metal. Just a design flaw they will learn from and probably discontinue on MY14.

So you're affiliated with Sewell, OP?
Discontinue ??

They will likely just update the finish to a more Satin / Matte Finish.. They will have to update it on all the doors and center console too... on current production MY13 or next MY14

I bet Lexus might also issue "a fix" or LSB for those who come in with the visual complaint..

My guess is they might just replace those two pieces with a less reflective version..
On the current problematic purchased cars..

~ Joe Z
Old 06-26-12, 10:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well maybe lexus will later issue a tsib to replace the trim with brushed version.

i don't know, i have driven a lot of 4gs. this can get quite dangerous since it can pretty much block out the whole mirror view
Old 06-26-12, 10:20 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe Lexus will release an F Sport carpeted dashboard cover.
Old 06-26-12, 10:52 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Discontinue ??

They will likely just update the finish to a more Satin / Matte Finish.. They will have to update it on all the doors and center console too... on current production MY13 or next MY14

I bet Lexus might also issue "a fix" or LSB for those who come in with the visual complaint..

My guess is they might just replace those two pieces with a less reflective version..
On the current problematic purchased cars..

~ Joe Z
Discontinue the use of those pieces, is what I meant....much like releasing new brushed aluminum, or dare I say, DeLorean style stainless steel.

Do the other versions of the 4GS suffer the same problem with the laminated wood pieces?
Old 06-26-12, 11:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Outrage
Maybe Lexus will release an F Sport carpeted dashboard cover.
lmao that would be epic

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Discontinue the use of those pieces, is what I meant....much like releasing new brushed aluminum, or dare I say, DeLorean style stainless steel.

Do the other versions of the 4GS suffer the same problem with the laminated wood pieces?
i have driven the normal premium 4gs (no aluminum trim), it's most definitely better. again as i mentioned in the other post, if you look at it closely you can still see reflection, but since the color is darker and reflection is less, you can easily make it out and refocus on the mirror (really look at what you intend to). with the fsport glossy aluminum trims, it fully takes over.

when i first read about it in this forum, i thought meh how bad could it be. then the first time i drove the fsport i found myself struggling to see things in side mirrors at all
Old 06-26-12, 01:04 PM
GVVTS
Rookie

Regarding the reflection:
I have checked and there is currently no TSB on the reflection issue.

The problem is not so much the reflection, as it's on the side window and a lot of cars have this, but it's the placement of the mirror and seeing the reflection right where you are trying to look at your mirror.
I have noticed this on my car, but it's not so distracting with the wood and the tint that's on my windows.
Old 06-26-12, 01:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation FYI for All...

Originally Posted by GVVTS

The problem is not so much the reflection, as it's on the side window and a lot of cars have this, but it's the placement of the mirror and seeing the reflection right where you are trying to look at your mirror.
I have noticed this on my car, but it's not so distracting with the wood and the tint that's on my windows.
Of course there isn't... Lexus USA / Japan has not addressed the issue as of yet...

The problem is the REFLECTION on the Glossy Striated Aluminum Trim in certain driving conditions..
Related to direction of the Car and the Location of the Sun's beam of light..

As seen here by "Flipside909".. in this thread... Side view mirror reflection fix?

Originally Posted by flipside909
I forgot I took this pic a while ago:

~ Joe Z
Old 06-26-12, 02:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

problem is not with 4gs and wood trim. it's on fsport with aluminum trim
Old 06-26-12, 02:06 PM
GVVTS
Rookie

Yes, as I stated, it's because of the location of the mirror. If the mirror (or the reflection) were in a different location it wouldn't be nearly as distracting and wouldn't be drawing as much criticism.
I have another vehicle that has stainless steel trim surrounding the wood trim and it reflects just is much in my side window; but since it's not where I'm looking at the mirror it rarely bothers me.
Old 06-26-12, 02:15 PM
GVVTS
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
problem is not with 4gs and wood trim. it's on fsport with aluminum trim
I have seen it as I have driven both cars a lot. It is definitely worse on the F-Sport.

Concerns like this are logged with Lexus when it has been addressed with the service department. Lexus looks at the frequency of certain issues once a vehicle (VIN) is input in the system.

There isn't anything I can do other than relay whether the issue has yet been recognized by Lexus. I'll know this when they publish a TSB or Campaign.

I'll keep you all informed if I hear anything.
Old 06-26-12, 02:32 PM
LexGS2013
Driver School Candidate

Hey Flip- I did 35% limo all the way around- I do not even notice it (thank god)

I did a check just this am too and could hardly see the reflection like I used to

-Chris
Old 06-26-12, 03:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I have seen it as I have driven both cars a lot. It is definitely worse on the F-Sport.

Concerns like this are logged with Lexus when it has been addressed with the service department. Lexus looks at the frequency of certain issues once a vehicle (VIN) is input in the system.

There isn't anything I can do other than relay whether the issue has yet been recognized by Lexus. I'll know this when they publish a TSB or Campaign.

I'll keep you all informed if I hear anything.
actually i think this is great. you can help channel this through to them, and for owners with such problems, if they all report that, maybe lexus will do something
Old 06-26-12, 07:46 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
My car has tinted windows and I can still see the reflection. It's not a big deal to me. I ignore it. If that's all I have to worry about with this car, I will be very happy.
+1. Mine are tinted and the reflection is still pervasive.
Old 06-26-12, 07:49 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe Lexus will decide it is a hazard and let us get that beautiful Linear Espresso wood with our F Sports. That would look sharp with the Cabernet interior.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Side View Mirror Reflection(s) - Aluminum Trim Discussion