GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

XM/Sirius Extension

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 08:50 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default XM/Sirius Extension

About 2 months after getting my car, I got a letter from XM/Sirius with instructions on how to extend my trial service. I tried to do it online, but received an error message that I needed to call them. Calling is the right move:

- My 3-month XM Select trial should be up at the end of June. However, XM has it listed as ending near the end of August. No need to extend right now.

- The XM Select service is a mid-level service. If you only listen to music, you can save about $5 a month and renew at a lower level without all the news, talk, & sports stations.

- There is NO savings for paying a year in advance.

Other notes:

- The XM travel link, navweather, and navtraffic services have a 1 year trial. For me, that expiration date was also a couple months after the 1 year anniversary of when I bought my car.

- These are separate services than the music service.

I only occasionally listen to 3-4 XM stations, so I may just let the music lapse after the August expiration.
Old 06-19-12, 09:09 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

If you do not renew at the end of the three month trial period, every week or so, they send you a renewal offer, each one offering it at a lower rate then the one before. Been there and done that.
Old 06-19-12, 10:14 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You can also do it a la carte, and select only a few stations
Old 06-21-12, 11:10 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out XM discounts on retailmenot.com. They gve good info on getting discounts
Old 06-22-12, 07:23 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've already extended my XM channel subscription by one year. The vehicle I owned previous to this one was equipped with a Sirius satellite tuner. I had Sirius XM transfer the balance of my Sirius account to an XM account. I paid the difference between the cost of a one year XM subscription and the remaining balance in my Sirius account (which has depreciated due to the passage of time).

Any additional time added to an existing subscription is appended to that subscription's length of time. Since the Lexus GS 350 is offered with three months of XM channel subscription I have a total of 15 months of channel subscription service. The GS 350 comes with one year of traffic and weather, which I haven't extended at this point, so that will expire three months before the channel subscription.
Old 06-22-12, 07:43 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Probably will not renew XM/Sirius once the trial is over. I NEVER listen to it. I've got my music on my iPhone and it hooks up via BT everytime I get in the car. I'm also not paying the ridiculous 7/month fee for the app suite either...that's just stupid.
Old 06-22-12, 08:21 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Probably will not renew XM/Sirius once the trial is over. I NEVER listen to it. I've got my music on my iPhone and it hooks up via BT everytime I get in the car. I'm also not paying the ridiculous 7/month fee for the app suite either...that's just stupid.
I tend to agree with you. However, the navtraffic and maybe weather are useful.
Old 06-22-12, 08:53 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you just want music, you can call and get a year subscription for $70 bucks. I have done that on my last 3 cars, and then right before a year is up i cancel and then redo it.
Old 06-22-12, 06:11 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
If you do not renew at the end of the three month trial period, every week or so, they send you a renewal offer, each one offering it at a lower rate then the one before. Been there and done that.
I have also heard the same

Originally Posted by zoombie99
Check out XM discounts on retailmenot.com. They gve good info on getting discounts
Thanks for the link

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
If you just want music, you can call and get a year subscription for $70 bucks. I have done that on my last 3 cars, and then right before a year is up i cancel and then redo it.
Didn't know this. Thanks
Old 07-12-12, 09:53 PM
zmanRX350
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
I called +1-866-637-8480 today and asked for a renewal of last year's $77.00 subscription promo. The XM cust serv person said that promo is "no longer being offered". And that my first radio renewal would be $159.39 and second radio (wife's car) would be $109.89.

What a rip. I guess they can leverage this price since they are the only game in town.
Old 07-13-12, 03:37 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I have an XM radio in my SC with a lifetime XM subscription. If and when I dispose of the SC, I will probably transfer that subscription to the GS.
Old 07-13-12, 04:47 PM
zmanRX350
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
I have an XM radio in my SC with a lifetime XM subscription. If and when I dispose of the SC, I will probably transfer that subscription to the GS.
So I called the SiriusXM "retention" department today at 1866-519-7570. I asked to renew the radios at promotional $86.00 annual fee. The SXM rep stated this cannot happen and my radios are not eligible. I asked her to cancel the subscription because it was too expensive. She said "wait, let me transfer you to a customer care rep who can help". I asked for the name and direct phone # for that dept, and she could not tell me. Weird.

Anyway, I talked to another SXM rep after being transferred and waiting on hold for 20 minutes. I asked for the "promotional rate". He said, "yes, I can do the $86.00 annual fee on both radios". I said "go for it."

Persistence helps I suppose.