GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

PS Module installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 10:01 PM
Winson6628
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks very interesting, Im definetly interested in this module, How long does it normally take to Ship? Gonna spend my next paycheck on this!!! Or sum of my paycheck lol.
Old 03-30-13, 04:44 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Winson6628
This looks very interesting, Im definetly interested in this module, How long does it normally take to Ship? Gonna spend my next paycheck on this!!! Or sum of my paycheck lol.
I believe they are in the US, so it should not take more than a week.
Old 07-24-13, 09:26 PM
antidentit
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Prestigious Society doesn't seem very customer focused, which is preventing me from ordering this.

For $330 they should at least post the installation instructions to check out before you commit that much cash. Or at least offer a 30-day money back guarantee even if you open the box (right now it's only for unopened boxes and you still incur the shipping fees either way).
Old 07-25-13, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

with their latest version of the kit, the 4gs is one of the easiest vehicles i have ever worked on. i can now install it in less than 20 mins. if you actually realize how many people / companies try to steal the installation instruction for other gains, you might come to understand.
Old 07-29-13, 12:10 AM
antidentit
Driver

I guess I don't realize how many people / companies try to steal installation instruction[s] for other gains, but I'm curious as to how many people and companies do this? Also, what other gains would they be after? Finally, if the gains are so great couldn't people / companies buy the product just to get access to the instructions.

I really am curious as to the answers here, since that might make me less frustrated and more willing to buy this product.

Originally Posted by rominl
if you actually realize how many people / companies try to steal the installation instruction for other gains, you might come to understand.
Old 07-29-13, 08:15 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by antidentit
I guess I don't realize how many people / companies try to steal installation instruction[s] for other gains, but I'm curious as to how many people and companies do this? Also, what other gains would they be after? Finally, if the gains are so great couldn't people / companies buy the product just to get access to the instructions.

I really am curious as to the answers here, since that might make me less frustrated and more willing to buy this product.
I talked to the owner of PS at a recent meet and he said he honestly wouldn't even recommend someone install it for me because it was so easy. The trim panel doesn't need tools for removal and there are a couple of screws holding the HU in place. Pull out the HU and plug module inline and you are done. No wire cutting either.

I don't think they are worried about others stealing instructions for trim panel removal since he showed me how easy it was to remove the trim panel and since the instructions are already in the factory service manual.

I actually sell parts for another car and post instructions on my website which in turn get posted into forums. It's actually a great way to get web traffic.
Old 07-29-13, 11:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

there are other companies out there selling similar products, however getting to the right locations / plugs is usually the hardest things sometimes (first hand experience). those companies they have the product (from manufacturer) but no idea where to connect and how to get there. instead of spending the right r&d and resources (time and money) to document such, they asked customers to get instructions elsewhere, including from prestigious.

and then there are people who want to reverse engineer and try to find access to the instructions and where the harnesses are going, and then try to figure out what the engineering is behind and create their own kit and then return products for refund.

i am not saying anyone in particular, but at the same time i am also telling you from first hand experience. or on the other hand, why not try to go out and look for another company selling similar products and ask if they actually have a full installation instruction?
Old 07-29-13, 12:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

also, when talking to prestigious society, they constantly get calls from people pretending to be existing customers or had bought from them, trying to ask for instructions on the installations. when asked for the invoice numbers they all bailed. you would wonder why.

and here are some examples on clublexus that i can recall. again, nothing against anyone in particular, just generally speaking how this industry is and why some might try to be more protective about their properties.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...de-review.html
i don't know if they have improved, but in my case there wasn't even an instruction on how to install at all

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...your-help.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...eat-sonic.html
don't know the exact details, but if instructions are not provided and ended up burning the head unit...

but again, when it comes to the 4gs, i really don't think putting focus on the installation instruction is worth it, coz' it's so simple (compared to some other cars i have done).

Last edited by rominl; 07-29-13 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 10:31 AM
antidentit
Driver

I understand that there are some people who might use the directions for purposes other than what the manufacturer intended, but to prevent your customers from seeing them before they can make a purchase seems to be taking it a bit too far.

In fact, not posting the instructions is costing them at least one sale (and I'd image many more) since I have chosen not to purchase without understanding what's involved. So while they're making it a little more inconvenient for their competitors to get their instructions, they're also missing out on sales from interested customers because they're so concerned about their non-customers.

Also, if the installation instructions are so easy then that could also be a great selling point as terrycs pointed out.

Originally Posted by rominl
there are other companies out there selling similar products, however getting to the right locations / plugs is usually the hardest things sometimes (first hand experience). those companies they have the product (from manufacturer) but no idea where to connect and how to get there. instead of spending the right r&d and resources (time and money) to document such, they asked customers to get instructions elsewhere, including from prestigious.

and then there are people who want to reverse engineer and try to find access to the instructions and where the harnesses are going, and then try to figure out what the engineering is behind and create their own kit and then return products for refund.

i am not saying anyone in particular, but at the same time i am also telling you from first hand experience. or on the other hand, why not try to go out and look for another company selling similar products and ask if they actually have a full installation instruction?
Old 07-30-13, 10:41 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand that there are some people who might use the directions for purposes other than what the manufacturer intended, but to prevent your customers from seeing them before they can make a purchase seems to be taking it a bit too far.

In fact, not posting the instructions is costing them at least one sale (and I'd image many more) since I have chosen not to purchase without understanding what's involved. So while they're making it a little more inconvenient for their competitors to get their instructions, they're also missing out on sales from interested customers because they're so concerned about their non-customers.

Also, if the installation instructions are so easy then that could also be a great selling point as terrycs pointed out.
I do not see what you find to be so difficult here.

We've been told several/many times here that it it takes the easy removal of a piece of trim, removing 2 bolts, plugging in the unit, then put every thing back.

I haven't put mine it yet but know it will be a breeze.
Old 07-30-13, 10:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

next time i buy a new LEGO set for my kids i will make sure i ask to open the box and look through the whole instruction first and determine if my kids can handle it.

sure they might be losing a sale from you, but i suppose you have no idea how many sales they LOST in the past in very short period of time when they were being more "helpful". i don't expect you to so it's ok

i think i said specifically that the 2013 gs is very easy, i did NOT say all cars are easy (in fact not). i don't expect them to give out instructions for some and not others, it makes sense to be consistent. but i guess it's hard for you to get the point that yeah, it's very easy on the very car you want to purchase. one would think me and a few others have been trying to convey the "very easy to install" idea for long

Last edited by rominl; 07-30-13 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-03-13, 05:44 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

I just installed mine, as rominl stated, takes less than 30 minutes to install and that is taking my time.

DIY steps, pictures have already been shown here.

I covered my console with a cloth from the cup holder back. I then reached up under the edge of the radio trim piece, grasping it on the bottom edge next to the glove box and gently pulled towards me. It slipped right out with little resistance. I worked my way around the bottom towards the left side, pulling only enough to free the stabs on each spot. It takes very little force, no need to worry about breaking it if you are gentle. I then continued up and around the top and back towards the glove box. I pulled the trim piece free and then, unplugged the remote start connector. I set the trim piece on a towel in the back seat.

Leaning down to look under the bottom of the AC control area, you can see metallic strips on the far right and far left. You have to lean way over on be on your knees outside the car, leaning in to see these strip. There is a 10mm bolt tucked up in there. I used a 10mm nut driver (screwdriver handle) and took the bolts out. They were snug but not too hard to break loose. I set these 2 bolts aside.

Now, just grab the head unit on both side and gently pull towards you. You will feel the head unit pull free from the stabs in the back. There isn't a lot of slack in the wires but enough to access the back by rotating the head unit towards the drivers' side. The back of the head unit is best accessed from the passenger side.

The PS unit comes with 4 connectors, one male/female for each connection. The instructions are very clear about which connectors on the radio to use. Took me 2 minutes tops to make the connections.

I applied the double sided tape to the PS and stuck it to the bottom of the head unit.

I pushed the head unit back into place, replaced the screws, slid the trim piece back in after reconnecting the remote start connector and .. bam, done!

It really is painless and really only takes the ability to read the instructions on how to make the connections.
I hope this helps.
PM me if you have any questions.
Old 08-03-13, 06:55 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I just installed mine, as rominl stated, takes less than 30 minutes to install and that is taking my time.

I covered my console with a cloth from the cup holder back. I then reached up under the edge of the radio trim piece, grasping it on the bottom edge next to the glove box and gently pulled towards me. It slipped right out with little resistance. I worked my way around the bottom towards the left side, pulling only enough to free the stabs on each spot. It takes very little force, no need to worry about breaking it if you are gentle. I then continued up and around the top and back towards the glove box. I pulled the trim piece free and then, unplugged the remote start connector. I set the trim piece on a towel in the back seat.

Leaning down to look under the bottom of the AC control area, you can see metallic strips on the far right and far left. You have to lean way over on be on your knees outside the car, leaning in to see these strip. There is a 10mm bolt tucked up in there. I used a 10mm nut driver (screwdriver handle) and took the bolts out. They were snug but not too hard to break loose. I set these 2 bolts aside.

Now, just grab the head unit on both side and gently pull towards you. You will feel the head unit pull free from the stabs in the back. There isn't a lot of slack in the wires but enough to access the back by rotating the head unit towards the drivers' side. The back of the head unit is best accessed from the passenger side.

The PS unit comes with 4 connectors, one male/female for each connection. The instructions are very clear about which connectors on the radio to use. Took me 2 minutes tops to make the connections.

I applied the double sided tape to the PS and stuck it to the bottom of the head unit.

I pushed the head unit back into place, replaced the screws, slid the trim piece back in after reconnecting the remote start connector and .. bam, done!

It really is painless and really only takes the ability to read the instructions on how to make the connections.
I hope this helps.
What ... No pictures as you were going?! I bet it still took you longer to write this than it did for you to install, huh?

Great job. Thanks for posting this. Did you get the video interface module too?
Old 08-03-13, 07:16 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by terrycs
What ... No pictures as you were going?! I bet it still took you longer to write this than it did for you to install, huh?

Great job. Thanks for posting this. Did you get the video interface module too?
I thought about taking photos but decided it was too easy that I didn't need them. The instructions do have clear and concise photos and details.

No, I didn't get that interface. I wanted to see how well this one worked before deciding if I wanted more options.. so far, this one is very sweet. Great video and sound!
Old 08-03-13, 10:44 AM
foxisbubba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew4HD

I hope this helps.
WOW! great play by play. I just recvd mine Friday and had an appt for Mon for an install. I am going to do it myself instead.
Quick question. Did you disconnect the battery for this as the instructions call for?
thanks

Quick Reply: PS Module installed