GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

lane change blinker

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 05:28 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe you also need to wear a clove of garlic around your neck when performing that ritual of black magic.
Old 07-23-12, 05:43 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
Here is the instruction sheet I got from the Head Tech Trainer at the Lexus Central Area facility. Keep in mind, even he said it was a difficult procedure to complete.
That's the same procedure I followed. It was posted earlier in this thread.

Took me a few tries, but I was able to change it to 5 blinks.
Old 07-23-12, 05:45 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I believe you also need to wear a clove of garlic around your neck when performing that ritual of black magic.
Pretty much. I was frustrated until the tequila and ale kicked in...
Old 08-06-12, 04:37 PM
2013GS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Success!

Originally Posted by drdigital1
One more clarification: the procedure worked for me only when in step 5 I selected the desired setting on the wiper barrel switch before starting the entire procedure.
Thank you for your post. I had tried this procedure several times and could only get it to work up to Step #4 until I saw your post. It appears that Step #5 should actually be Step #1. When I performed step 5 first, it worked great and I was able to change the the lane change from 3 to 5 blinks.
Old 01-31-14, 06:29 PM
Joji
Driver School Candidate

Not working for me
I tried step 5 as step 5 , and also step 5 as step #1.

But I am getting the one right signal indication

Which means I am doing some thing right, but not quite right
Old 02-01-14, 09:02 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did this myself (5 blinks) and it took a few tries to get it right. The official procedure can be a little confusing to understand, and you have to do it pretty quickly as well. There is also a step they have listed in the middle that you can actually do before you start the time-critical portion, so it's easier if you do that first. I'm going to try to describe what I did in case it helps anyone:

1. Start with the car completely off
2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:
- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks
3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there
4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)
5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for 5 seconds or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)
6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for 5+ seconds (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)
7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another 5+ seconds
8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for 5+ seconds
9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.
10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks
- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks
- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks
- 4 flashes = no auto blinks
The following 7 users liked this post by FishBike:
heshamos (09-22-18), IcyBishop (03-29-18), logjammin (07-12-23), MiciasMica (09-11-17), mjo13 (04-17-23), mrplesh (11-04-19), twylie (01-14-21) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-01-14, 03:54 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The software engineer who designed this function was a sadist and those who attempt it (like I did) are masochists
The following 3 users liked this post by jkeifer3:
4GS350 (12-21-22), MeGaMiLLi (11-20-18), Prima (11-21-22)
Old 02-03-14, 09:19 AM
raiste
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FishBike
Just did this myself (5 blinks) and it took a few tries to get it right. The official procedure can be a little confusing to understand, and you have to do it pretty quickly as well. There is also a step they have listed in the middle that you can actually do before you start the time-critical portion, so it's easier if you do that first. I'm going to try to describe what I did in case it helps anyone:

2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:
3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there
4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)
5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for 5 seconds or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)
6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for 5+ seconds (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)
8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for 5+ seconds
9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

Thanks! Just did it and it worked perfectly the first time.

Old 02-03-14, 08:27 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

^ + 100 Great simplified instructions. Worked like a charm. Thanks.
Old 02-04-14, 09:28 PM
r2xj
Driver School Candidate

Got it the second time... The simplified instructions make it a snap! Thanks FishBike!
Old 02-05-14, 10:36 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah, this needs to be a sticky at the top of the forum. This worked perfectly the first time!! Good work man! Kudos.
Old 02-05-14, 11:44 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by todor
That does sound like witchcraft. But what if there were an app for that? I'm trying to develop an Android app that does exactly this: allows you to customize settings like the lane change blinker count. It's not released yet, but it's ready for testing. Would anyone be willing to give it a go? You'd need an ELM327 bluetooth adapter, but those are cheap and easy to get. Lemme know.
I'd purchase a copy if you develop one. And, no, I won't make a venture capital investment
Old 02-09-14, 01:56 PM
smomin23
Rookie

Worked perfectly the first time! Thanks so much for this detailed yet simplified instruction. 5 blinks is perfect!
Old 02-19-14, 01:43 AM
Joji
Driver School Candidate

Work like a charm

Thanks a lot

All I was missing was step #10
Old 02-23-14, 05:44 AM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following directions. Getting right turn signal single flash. When moving down 1 position, nothing with left flasher. Still on previous setting. Help!

Quick Reply: lane change blinker