GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Interior flaws?? Add to the list...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 07:44 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior flaws?? Add to the list...

Ok, its been a few months now since I have had the 350F. There are some really nice finishing features I love about the car, IE: How bout those under-mounted LED door panel lights!!

I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced any flaws to the interior that should be fixed the next time around. I have a few below... Any others?

1. Arm rests are tilted rather than straight so your arm slides off!!

2. White threading on the dash is nice and Aston Martin like, but because it is sitting on the top of the dash and not the edge, it reflects into the windshield on sunny days!

3. Talk about reflections: The brushed metal door panels reflect into the mirrors on sunny days making it really hard to see out the side mirrors.

4. How many times have I turned the car off when I went to turn the radio on! Or reverse: turned the radio on when I went to turn the car off! Placing two push button controls so close to each other is probably not the best thing!

5. Any others??
Old 06-04-12, 07:59 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The only two flaws I've found, period, are your #3, the brushed aluminum reflecting in the drivers side mirror and the fact that my A/C won't automatically go to the recirculation mode when the car cools off like every other car I've ever had. I always have to push the recirc button myself. I know there must be some way of reprogramming this, but I haven't found it yet. I do have the A/C set on Auto. To me, that should adjust the temperature as well as the mix of inside/outside air. I will probably take it into the dealer soon to see if they have a fix.

Otherwise, the interior rocks and it is my favorite part of the car.
Old 06-04-12, 09:32 PM
danjb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a fan of the GS interior, but if I were searching for complaints to list I might say:
  1. Pushing the **** to turn on/off the radio sometimes doesn't do anything. This may be a case of not pushing it hard enough, but it has happened multiple times. I get the feeling I need to press/pause/release rather than just punch the **** as I would usually do.
  2. What is the secret button to turn off the dual climate control? It's very easy to activate dual climate control (just press either temperature up/down button on the passenger side), but the only obvious way to turn it off is navigating to the proper option via the menuing system. My Infiniti had a single button turn-off for dual climate control, is there anything similar in the GS?
  3. I wish there were an option to have the rear sunshade retract whenever the headlights are on. I know, it's pretty picky to complain about not having an automatic option like that for an automatic sunshade, but it is smart enough to go down automatically when the car is in reverse.
  4. Turning on the car with the bluetooth audio source selected, or selecting the bluetooth audio source always starts that audio source playing, even if the last state it was in was paused. I would prefer if it were paused, that it would remain paused until I press play.
  5. When listening to radio, I have to turn the volume WAY down (to level 2 or 3) to have "background volume" music over which you can comfortably talk, and it sometimes seems as if the volume actually creeps up as you drive. This may be related to the speed-controlled-volume option. However, when playing a bluetooth audio source, I have to raise the volume to 30-35 level to get the same volume level. I know that is very likely related to my bluetooth player, but it still seems like a wide variance.
  6. I really wish the Sport+ driving mode selection would stick between uses of the car (others have mentioned this).
  7. I wish the main information screen would return to some "informative" state when the audio system is turned off. Right now, if you aren't navigating, turning off the audio system puts a big graphic of a speaker saying "OFF" indicating the audio system is off. This is informative in the sense that it tells you the audio system is off, but it's a very large display for a very small amount of information. I'd prefer it return to a "default screen" of the map, for example, or at least something more informative. Yes, I can get there with one button press, I just wish I didn't have to remember to do it.
These are all total nits on what is a beautiful functional interior. In fact, I suspect some of them I just don't know how to operate things properly, so I appreciate any tips anyone may have!

Last edited by danjb; 06-04-12 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 09:47 PM
Liferules
Driver

I love your number 3 and 7. Great suggestions!
Old 06-05-12, 06:09 AM
bjjones
Driver

1. Wow, I thought I was the only one as the door armrests were a deal breaker for me (along with the somewhat cramped room up front and lack of front seat travel towards the rear). Some of the recent Lexus models door armrests offer little to no support or comfort and seem to be designed for more form over function (looks like the new ES arm rests have a similar design as well). Hopefully they don't screw up the new LS interior with these new crappy door rests or I will be highly upset

2. Also not a fan of the white stitching and IMO it should be included as a optional interior feature.
Old 06-05-12, 09:25 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JOELC
1. Arm rests are tilted rather than straight so your arm slides off!!
I like the door's arm rest design. Since I'm fairly broad, in most cars, my elbows are forced in to the 90 degree angle between the horizontal surface of the arm rest and the vertical surface of the door skin. After an extended period of time driving such a car, I'll tend to experience nerve pain in my elbow. The GS's smooth transitional surface, which includes a generous amount of padding, is greatly beneficial in this regard.

2. White threading on the dash is nice and Aston Martin like, but because it is sitting on the top of the dash and not the edge, it reflects into the windshield on sunny days!
My Luxury Package-equipped GS has a Flaxen interior which replaces the white stitching with tan stitching. None-the-less, I always wear polarized sunglasses while driving during the daytime which mitigates most interior reflections.

3. Talk about reflections: The brushed metal door panels reflect into the mirrors on sunny days making it really hard to see out the side mirrors.
My Luxury Package-equipped GS has linear espresso wood trim in place of the F-Sport model's aluminum trim. I've never encountered this problem.

Originally Posted by danjb
I wish there were an option to have the rear sunshade retract whenever the headlights are on. I know, it's pretty picky to complain about not having an automatic option like that for an automatic sunshade, but it is smart enough to go down automatically when the car is in reverse.
If such behavior were enacted, the sunshade would always retract, even during undesirable conditions. There would include manually turning on the vehicle's lights while driving through rain or entering a tunnel.

Originally Posted by danjb
When listening to radio, I have to turn the volume WAY down (to level 2 or 3) to have "background volume" music over which you can comfortably talk, and it sometimes seems as if the volume actually creeps up as you drive. This may be related to the speed-controlled-volume option. However, when playing a bluetooth audio source, I have to raise the volume to 30-35 level to get the same volume level. I know that is very likely related to my bluetooth player, but it still seems like a wide variance.
The speed sensitive volume function can be adjusted or disabled.