GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 10:59 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Did I do wrong?

A few weeks ago, I negotiated a deal to buy an F-Sport that was still in transit from Japan. Nothing was signed. It was all done over the phone. Today I received a call from the sales rep, from whom I bought a new RX in December, BTW, that the car was expected later today (maybe). I explained that I was leaving town for a long weekend and could take delivery next week. He asked if I would sign all the papers today, taking delivery next week, so that the sale would be credited to him this month, qualifying him for a bonus. I declined, as I have no intention of agreeing to purchase a car sight unseen. I did that many years ago and was very unhappy with the new car I received. I fully intend to take delivery, but, did I do wrong? I figure that I am his customer, not his buddy. Any opinions?
Old 05-31-12, 11:01 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Tell him you will sign today if he takes an extra 2 grand off the car. ;-)
Old 05-31-12, 11:15 AM
j2theIzzle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
A few weeks ago, I negotiated a deal to buy an F-Sport that was still in transit from Japan. Nothing was signed. It was all done over the phone. Today I received a call from the sales rep, from whom I bought a new RX in December, BTW, that the car was expected later today (maybe). I explained that I was leaving town for a long weekend and could take delivery next week. He asked if I would sign all the papers today, taking delivery next week, so that the sale would be credited to him this month, qualifying him for a bonus. I declined, as I have no intention of agreeing to purchase a car sight unseen. I did that many years ago and was very unhappy with the new car I received. I fully intend to take delivery, but, did I do wrong? I figure that I am his customer, not his buddy. Any opinions?
Which dealership is this? If they are a reputable one you shouldnt be scared, you can do all the paperwork singed and everything and not put a deposit down and still get away from the contract. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong
Old 05-31-12, 11:27 AM
zoombie99
Pole Position

No, you shouldn't sign until you see it. There may be an issue if you are getting conquest or financing the car. Who knows what will happen next month.

It does appears that May's offers expire on June 4th so their books should be open until that date but you need to double check.
Old 05-31-12, 11:28 AM
kdsr123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go sign the papers. I purchased two vehicles without even seeing them so i get a great deal. I am expecting delivery for my 13 RX today.
Old 05-31-12, 11:41 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not sign anything until you can see it in front of you with your own eyes. But that is just me. I wouldn't let him put the pressure on you about his lame excuse about the bonus and stuff. That's his own problem and not yours. It's your money and decision on the line not his. Those sales guys will throw everything in the book at you to pressure you to seal the deal.
Old 05-31-12, 12:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i wouldn't sign papers without seeing the car i am buying in person as well.
Old 05-31-12, 12:51 PM
ECL
Instructor

The plot thickens. I just received a voice mail, this time from the sales manager, again asking me to sign papers today, with a guarantee, in writing, that I could back out if unhappy with the car in any way. It sounds like a no brainier, be the good guy, at no risk. OTOH, it bothers me that I am being pressured by a supposed high end, customer service oriented dealership
Old 05-31-12, 12:52 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

Looks like they need to make their numbers. Ask for extra discount or accessories but make sure you have in writing that you can back out if there's something wrong with the car.
Old 05-31-12, 01:17 PM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't know what state your in but many states require the dealership to void your contract if you don't take delivery.
I honestly wouldn't wory about it though as most Lexus dealerships would never risk their reputation trying to stick you with a car you haven't seen.
Old 05-31-12, 01:24 PM
M K S
Lead Lap

You've already been a good customer of their's buy buying multiple cars from them. It's not fair of them to pressure you into buying the car sight unseen if you aren't 100% comfortable with it - UNLESS they offer you an incentive. You scratch my back by signing today so I can make my numbers, we'll scratch your back.....

So far I see NOTHING in it for you to sign now. Just wait for the car to arrive and sleep well. In the end, you're still giving them your business.
Old 05-31-12, 01:37 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j2theIzzle
Which dealership is this? If they are a reputable one you shouldnt be scared, you can do all the paperwork singed and everything and not put a deposit down and still get away from the contract. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong
You are absolutely correct! The transaction is NOT complete until the car is driven off the lot....PERIOD! :-)
Old 05-31-12, 06:20 PM
ECL
Instructor

This story has a happy ending. Much to everyone's surprise, the F-Sport arrived at the Lexus store late this afternoon, and I was able to take delivery before I left town to attend my son's wedding. Another piece of good news is that there was apparently a miscommunication about price. I had offered $200 under invoice. They charged me $500 under invoice.
Old 05-31-12, 08:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad it worked out, and pics, pics, pics when you get back into town.
Old 05-31-12, 09:07 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

congrats! post pics soon!

Quick Reply: Did I do wrong?