GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Flash drive and the 2013 gs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 02:31 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Flash drive and the 2013 gs

i know there is a thread somewhere about this on this vast forum can't seem to find it. what type of flash drive are you using to transfer images to your custom start up image. i have a Kingston 4GB flash drive. every time i try i get a message,,,, can't transfer images check manual to see what type of drive you are using. read the manual,,, PITA. don't know what it could be. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-12, 02:43 PM
MY13GS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a PNY 8GB formatted as FAT32 to play music with no problems at all. I have not used the custom image option however. Maybe reformat your drive and try again?
Old 05-24-12, 03:05 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you naming a folder on your drive with the image "StartupImage" with the S and the I capitalized?
Old 05-24-12, 03:59 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Are you naming a folder on your drive with the image "StartupImage" with the S and the I capitalized?
NO. is that all i had to do? Thanx djpeakSD
Old 05-24-12, 04:14 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

4GS support up to 32GB flash drive while mine 2011 Sienna Limited only up to 16GB.
Old 05-24-12, 05:17 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,214 Likes on 633 Posts

I have a Patriot SuperSonic 32GB drive I use for work. I put a few music folders on there and the car recognized every folder on the drive without me doing anything special.
Old 05-24-12, 08:23 PM
Liferules
Driver

I'll have to try again. The 1st time I tried, I had no luck. Not sure what the problem was. Used MP3 formatting. Not sure of the USB format--will be sure its FAT32 and not NAT...
Old 05-24-12, 10:54 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

tried again when i went to pick up wifey from work,,,,, no luck. i even named the folder. i'm doing something wrong.
and i bet it's so simple my 6 year old can do it.
Old 05-24-12, 11:59 PM
djpeak10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
tried again when i went to pick up wifey from work,,,,, no luck. i even named the folder. i'm doing something wrong.
and i bet it's so simple my 6 year old can do it.
for your car to recognize the imgage, it has to be in a folder named StartupImage

S and I capitalized and spelled correctly. Any flash drive will work. It took me a couple times to figure it out but it did work.

Dumb question, but did you happen to put the " in the folder name because if so it would not work. Try it exactly how I have it above.

Hope this helps.
JP
Old 05-25-12, 10:02 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by djpeak10
for your car to recognize the imgage, it has to be in a folder named StartupImage

S and I capitalized and spelled correctly. Any flash drive will work. It took me a couple times to figure it out but it did work.

Dumb question, but did you happen to put the " in the folder name because if so it would not work. Try it exactly how I have it above.

Hope this helps.
JP
ok please be patient for a sec.... if i get it wrong this time i won't ask again i'll just keep trying until i figure it out. now you are saying to name the folder on the flash drive,,, StartupImage,,, am i right? if so,,, i did that and still nothing. is there something in the set up screen that i'm doing wrong? i followed the manual instructions, and still nothing.
Old 05-25-12, 11:16 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check out https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7054539-post53.html
What is the file type? (jpg or jpeg are the only ones allowed I think).

Yes, the folder StartupImage must be created on the root of the flash drive (not in a subdirectory). Then, you will have to connect the USB drive to the car, Select “Customize Startup Image” on the “General Settings” screen, transfer the file, and then select that image, and hit save.

page 323/324 at http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_05-01.pdf
Old 05-25-12, 12:53 PM
oceanracer
Driver School Candidate

I have also tried several times with no luck. Only variable I have not tried is using a PC to download image onto USB drive instead of a MAC, not sure why that would any difference. I view it like the apps in the car, if it does not work with a couple of attempts its too hard. I love the way the car drives and looks, but I do think the software running the user interface is really Beta, not very impressive.
Old 05-25-12, 04:53 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,214 Likes on 633 Posts

I didn't create a StartupImage folder... I just dragged and dropped some music folders on, worked fine
Old 05-27-12, 08:32 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If your flash drive has any type of proprietary software on it (vault, password, auto-start, DTSecure, etc) it will not work (in most cases).
Old 05-27-12, 09:05 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
ok please be patient for a sec.... if i get it wrong this time i won't ask again i'll just keep trying until i figure it out. now you are saying to name the folder on the flash drive,,, StartupImage,,, am i right? if so,,, i did that and still nothing. is there something in the set up screen that i'm doing wrong? i followed the manual instructions, and still nothing.
I had the same problem as you did at first. I then read the users manual and there is a step in there that instructs you to close the center console arm rest after you plug in the flash drive. Not sure if this is the answer to the problem but I did just that and it worked flawlessly.

Quick Reply: Flash drive and the 2013 gs