GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear Styling

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 05:24 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Dude, you've have been against the 4GS since it came out...why keep coming over here to harp on it?
You talking to me?

I thought I sorta defended the 4GS this time.

I'm not against any car. It's a car.
Old 05-31-12, 06:22 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I give thumbs down to Lexus for thinking customers will accept whatever they dish out. Looks like thats exactly whats happening too.

What bothers me is Lexus created a car that this much conversation and controversy surround its appearance.
The 1 and 2GS models had nothing like this. The 3GS is not bad but even it didn't meet expectations established by the first 2. Lexus seems to have decided that they made tons of money and that's all that matters. Yopu guys keep buying the 4GS and the message to Lexus will be that you don't care if they make cars with controversial designs.

Good thing is there are so many other brands out there.
If that's "kinda' defending the 4GS, good Lord.
Old 05-31-12, 07:27 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you buy Lexus and other higher end cars, you expect distinctive and beautiful styling.

What bothers me is Lexus created a car that this much conversation and controversy surround its appearance.

Yopu guys keep buying the 4GS and the message to Lexus will be that you don't care if they make cars with controversial designs.
My $0.02

With the new GS, I did get distinctive and beautiful styling (definition of beauty will vary person to person of course)

Conversation - Usually a good thing!
Controversy - that's what being different will lead to. Yes, the styling of the 4GS is (a little) different than the previous versions, and the entire Lexus line so far - but given that a lot more people are buying the car, it looks like more people like this new design than the previous generations - don't you think so?
Old 05-31-12, 08:19 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jj14
My $0.02

With the new GS, I did get distinctive and beautiful styling (definition of beauty will vary person to person of course)

Controversy - that's what being different will lead to. Yes, the styling of the 4GS is (a little) different than the previous versions, and the entire Lexus line so far - but given that a lot more people are buying the car, it looks like more people like this new design than the previous generations - don't you think so?
Bingo!
Old 05-31-12, 08:20 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jj14
My $0.02

No, it could be that it's a better car. It handles better than the 3GS. I don't know about the 1 and 2, never drove them. I don't think the 4GS drive is superior than my modded 3GS but that's debate-able.
Anyway, I'm sure many people like the front....don't know why but I can admit it is different and aggressive. Sorta like the old ASMA kit for Mercedes cars.
The rear is another thing. It's just too bland and doesn't flow with the front.
At least the 3GS total build flows better. So does the 1 and 2.

You guys keep saying its selling well but I'm not sure I believe the numbers. Lexus mislead the populace about LFA sales numbers. Maybe they are doing it again. I certainly don't see many 4GS in south Florida.

So, to summarize....I'll agree the 4GS has a disinctive front but not the rest of the exterior. Neither the interior cause it reminds me of a BMW.
Old 05-31-12, 08:32 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Another thing.....why are you guys so concerned about my opinions on the 4GS?
Why does it bother you all what I think?
If you like it that's your business. It doesn't bother me that you like it. Doesn't bother me if you say you like it 1000 times. Why does it bother you if I say the front looks like the Predator. Or a fish face wearing a Darth Vader helmet. Who cares.

I wanted the 4GS to look really good. I was hoping to get one and have both 3 and 4 generations. So I am disappointed in the car.
This is the second time I've been disappointed. I loved my first Lexus the SC300. I hoped Lexus would evolve the design but instead gave the world the SC430. They keep disappointing me. So I voice my opinion.

No big deal. Like I said before....I have my 3GS and I can go elsewhere for a new car if I want. But the 3GS will be with me for a long time.
Old 05-31-12, 10:24 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ice250, I never exchanged posts with you but based on the 10,000+ posts that you've racked up on ClubLexus, you should know more than most that any time you offend (even inadvertently) what others love it has the potential to cause problems. This is precisely why in this forum and other forums I belong to for the most part, I keep negative comments to myself. Even if my opinion has the potential to offend someone, I keep that to myself as well. Should it be this way? No!

Like you, I believe varying opinions add to a more lively conversation but at the same time can respect others who may feel differently. It goes back to the old cliche...if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Some folks may miscontrue your opinion as dissing their buying decision. Others want to feel good about their purchase and sometimes criticism or negative comments can make someone second guess themselves, whether they will ever admit it or not.

I parted ways with the 4G after 3 weeks of ownership and about 30 days later purchased a vehicle that mostl so-called car experts, car critics, car magazines, and car websites, think is hideous.....2012 BMW GT. Myself, those in the GT forum, and casual passerbys that I encounter from day to day absolutely LOVE the vehicle. I have NEVER once been offended by the comments because I like the vehicle......well I love the vehicle and that is all that truly matters! The less appealing the GT is to others, the less I will see on the road and to me, that puts me in a rather exclusive group, even if only in my head. :-)

Lastly, I often wonder why ALL forums wouldn't start a "Dislikes of product XYZ" thread. In doing so, it would provide separation between the people who are on cloud nine about XYZ product and those who think XYZ product suck. Furthermore, it ensures folks who want to post/read about the dislikes know where to go and those who dont, know which thread to stay away from.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 05-31-12 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 02:36 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Styling is an important part of everyday life.
Everyone knows that.
Period.

No one has said that the 4GS rear styling is ugly or unattractive.
However, numerous people have said that the 4GS rear styling is rather bland, in other words - plain.

Beauty is not in the eye of the beholder.
That's a fallacy.
Beauty is actually a science.
There are certain traits that make a shape beautiful.

It is a fact that the 4GS rear styling is bland/plain.
Bland/plain is not ugly/unattractive.
Everyone knows that the 4GS rear end is bland/plain.
We could live with that.
I could live with that.

The 4GS has its strengths and weaknesses.
Some strengths include the engine, chassis, equipment levels, durability, price etc.
Some weaknesses include the rear end styling, the rear foot room, the weakish bottom end torque etc.
No one dares to claim that the 4GS is a perfect car.
No one dares to claim that the 4GS is without weakness or fault.
There is no car that is perfect and without flaws.
Indeed, there will never be a car that will be perfect, without flaws.

Sure, overall the GS is a nice car, and I'd own one myself one day.
Sure, the 4GS has some weaknesses and faults, but I could live with it.

Now, on that topic of a plain rear end styling - there is hope.
It is fixable.
I believe it will be fixed at the facelift in 3 years time.

Look at the rear of the LF-Gh; looks nice hey???
Now, look at the 4GS. Bit bland?
Its actually in the tail light lenses.
The tail light lenses can be easily updated in 3 years time.

Sure, there are some Lexus sales reps and Lexus dealers amongst us - their commercial goal is to promote the 4GS, regardless of strengths or weaknesses, so that they can sell the car and earn a living.
There is nothing to prohibit Lexus dealers and sales reps from joining the forum.
And sure, there are some of us who are "Narcissistic" in our personality.
However, the important thing is to be realistic, and relay the right messages to Lexus of Japan, so that they can improve on the next generation 5GS.
Relaying the right messages may sound harsh in the short term, but it is for the good of all in the long term.
If the next 5GS is great, Lexus will benefit, dealers and sales reps will benefit, and owners and drivers will benefit...

LF-Gh prototype and its stylish tail light lens. It's mostly in the tail light lenses.

4GS

Original 2006 IS. It's actually the little yellow turn indicators, and little white reverse lights that let these lenses down.

Updated 2010 IS with more stylish vertical tail light lens.

Original 1996 ES.

Updated 1999 ES with cleaner lenses.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-01-12 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-01-12, 03:54 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
Ice250, I never exchanged posts with you but based on the 10,000+ posts that you've racked up on ClubLexus, you should know more than most that any time you offend (even inadvertently) what others love it has the potential to cause problems. This is precisely why in this forum and other forums I belong to for the most part, I keep negative comments to myself. Even if my opinion has the potential to offend someone, I keep that to myself as well. Should it be this way? No!

Like you, I believe varying opinions add to a more lively conversation but at the same time can respect others who may feel differently. It goes back to the old cliche...if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Some folks may miscontrue your opinion as dissing their buying decision. Others want to feel good about their purchase and sometimes criticism or negative comments can make someone second guess themselves, whether they will ever admit it or not.

I parted ways with the 4G after 3 weeks of ownership and about 30 days later purchased a vehicle that mostl so-called car experts, car critics, car magazines, and car websites, think is hideous.....2012 BMW GT. Myself, those in the GT forum, and casual passerbys that I encounter from day to day absolutely LOVE the vehicle. I have NEVER once been offended by the comments because I like the vehicle......well I love the vehicle and that is all that truly matters! The less appealing the GT is to others, the less I will see on the road and to me, that puts me in a rather exclusive group, even if only in my head. :-)

Lastly, I often wonder why ALL forums wouldn't start a "Dislikes of product XYZ" thread. In doing so, it would provide separation between the people who are on cloud nine about XYZ product and those who think XYZ product suck. Furthermore, it ensures folks who want to post/read about the dislikes know where to go and those who dont, know which thread to stay away from.
So people are thin-skinned about their car passion.....yeah, I get it. We used to have more objective thinking people years ago. The 3GS is not perfect and gets lots of criticism. I could care less. Everyone who bought a 4GS probably made the right choice for themselves. I am happy they are happy. But on a public forum I can say I don't like something as many times as others say they like it. This isn't easy for me. I love the brand. There shouldn't be this much controversy about a brands' sport sedan model. It needs to drive good and look good to most...not just some people.
Old 06-01-12, 04:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

So people are thin-skinned about their car passion.....yeah, I get it. We used to have more objective thinking people years ago. The 3GS is not perfect and gets lots of criticism. I could care less. Everyone who bought a 4GS probably made the right choice for themselves. I am happy they are happy. But on a public forum I can say I don't like something as many times as others say they like it. This isn't easy for me. I love the brand. There shouldn't be this much controversy about a brands' sport sedan model. It needs to drive good and look good to most...not just some people.
what controversy though? Its mostly you complaining... and wonders, you have 3GS. Give me a dime for every time old model owner didnt like new model and I would be a billionaire :-).

I had 3GS for 3 years and I liked it, a lot... but 4GS fixed most if not all of the flaws that 3GS had. Today, i think 4GS looks considerably better than 3GS. Not sure what would i think back in 2006, since i cant go back in time.

Interior cant be compared at all, it is like different brand, and 15 years between the cars. 2006 was classic luxury but 2013 is way beyond that.

My 3GS flaws (and most other owners), i am sure i posted this 2-3 years ago as well:
- Poor trunk opening/space - My IS has more usable trunk. FIXED
- Poor headroom at the back due to the shape - FIXED
- Handling at limit (over 8/10s) - FIXED.
- Outdated Multimedia - FIXED
- Good seats but not adjustable enough - FIXED
- Poor hybrid trunk - FIXED

Those above were pretty much gripes of every GS owner.

Unless it is $$$ issue, I cant believe someone would rather buy 3GS over 4GS.
Old 06-01-12, 04:54 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
what controversy though? Its mostly you complaining... and wonders, you have 3GS. Give me a dime for every time old model owner didnt like new model and I would be a billionaire :-).

I had 3GS for 3 years and I liked it, a lot... but 4GS fixed most if not all of the flaws that 3GS had. Today, i think 4GS looks considerably better than 3GS. Not sure what would i think back in 2006, since i cant go back in time.

Interior cant be compared at all, it is like different brand, and 15 years between the cars. 2006 was classic luxury but 2013 is way beyond that.

My 3GS flaws (and most other owners), i am sure i posted this 2-3 years ago as well:
- Poor trunk opening/space - My IS has more usable trunk. FIXED
- Poor headroom at the back due to the shape - FIXED
- Handling at limit (over 8/10s) - FIXED.
- Outdated Multimedia - FIXED
- Good seats but not adjustable enough - FIXED
- Poor hybrid trunk - FIXED

Those above were pretty much gripes of every GS owner.

Unless it is $$$ issue, I cant believe someone would rather buy 3GS over 4GS.
Agreed. I had my 3GS and while it was a great car, my 4GS is so much better looking then the 3GS and is a much superior car handling and technology wise. It gets more comments and stares then my 3GS ever did in 4 years of ownership. The shape of the 4GS is elegant, sporty, and sharp and I have no issues with the rear end anymore. I can see why they styled it that way. You get used to it or forget it. That's they way Lexus said it will do to create a styling that will turn off some people and gain others.
Old 06-01-12, 05:19 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thing.....why are you guys so concerned about my opinions on the 4GS?
Why does it bother you all what I think?
If you like it that's your business. It doesn't bother me that you like it. Doesn't bother me if you say you like it 1000 times. Why does it bother you if I say the front looks like the Predator. Or a fish face wearing a Darth Vader helmet. Who cares.

I wanted the 4GS to look really good. I was hoping to get one and have both 3 and 4 generations. So I am disappointed in the car.
This is the second time I've been disappointed. I loved my first Lexus the SC300. I hoped Lexus would evolve the design but instead gave the world the SC430. They keep disappointing me. So I voice my opinion.

No big deal. Like I said before....I have my 3GS and I can go elsewhere for a new car if I want. But the 3GS will be with me for a long time.
Don't get me wrong - but your views/opinions about the 4GS really aren't likely to change my thoughts about my 4GS. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But just as you are free to express your thoughts about why you don't like the 4GS, so are the folks (like me) who do like the 4GS. If you like to write about why you don't like the 4GS, you shouldn't mind reading from other forum members who do like the 4GS (or you can always just ignore the thread)

The "conversation" is part of what a forum is for.

I didn't like the 3GS, you don't like the 4GS - who cares (in both cases).

One person may find the 3GS (/4GS) very good looking, while another may hate the appearances - again, who cares?

You love your 3GS - awesome! I love my 4GS.
You are happy, and so am I.
Old 06-01-12, 06:08 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

I've been following this thread mainly for it's entertainment value. It seems that non-owners like peteharvey and others don't care for the rear styling, while those who actually own the car generally like it and appreciate the styling. That is not surprising. When I initially saw the car the 1st weekend it appeared at the dealers, I was someone ambiguous about the rear styling. I didn't care for the oblong exhausts (ala-LS460) but the more I looked at it, the more I appreciated the way they blend in with the rest of the rear-end design. Whether anyone else likes it matters little to me. I think Lexus did an excellent job of re-designing this model, and it is clearly the template they are using for the new models being introduced. What's not to like?

Old 06-01-12, 06:23 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I think more than anything else, it just gets old. We're in the 4GS forum, so we should already be filtering out people who don't like/own the car. But when someone repeatedly bashes the car, who has no interest in ever buying it...what's the point? It would be like trying to post how much I love my car in a BMW forum. Sooner or later they would get tired of hearing it and ask me why I am there cluttering up the conversation.

I did not like the back end at first, but it has grown on me, and I personally think if fits fine with the car.
Old 06-01-12, 09:38 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I think more than anything else, it just gets old. We're in the 4GS forum, so we should already be filtering out people who don't like/own the car. But when someone repeatedly bashes the car, who has no interest in ever buying it...what's the point? It would be like trying to post how much I love my car in a BMW forum. Sooner or later they would get tired of hearing it and ask me why I am there cluttering up the conversation.

I did not like the back end at first, but it has grown on me, and I personally think if fits fine with the car.
But I do have an interest cause I love the brand and I am a GS owner. I am interested in new models of the car I drive.

While walking into a store this morning, I saw a new Camry passing. The impression hit immediately that it looked better than the 4GS.

On another note, I think Lexus did better with the new ES. The spindle looks more integrated into the design. The fog lights seem better designed. The rear looks a little better. Still kinda bland but better. Looks like it belongs on an ES though. It looks more luxurious inside and out.

You know, one of the good things about forum posting is it is so easy to not read other peoples posts who disagree with you. If you are so insecure or narrow minded that you only feel comfortable when your choices or beliefs are validated by others acceptance....then don't read those to the contrary.
Me, I enjoy differring viewpoints. As long as there is healthy and respectful debate.

I didn't start this thread about the bland rear. Someone else had that opinion. So do others. But I'm the bad guy? That's cool, I can handle it. As long as it's respectful.

God Bless!

Quick Reply: Rear Styling