GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear Styling

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 09:52 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it looks really nice. Sporty, aggressive, luxurious, and suttle but bold. I think it matches the rest of the car and what the car is designed to be
Old 05-11-12, 10:27 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me the front end is distinct and aggressive, and I like it. I like Lexus making such a bold statement on a sedan. The slab, basic profile is majestic enough for me...and will look great with new shoes and a drop.

The rear is my biggest complaint. The exhaust is just not appealing to me (just too big and oblong...looks much better in the concept). And the two outer character lines lost in the translation from the concept to the 4GS just sucked all the rest of the style out of the rear, IMO. It's almost not even "fixable", but I guess it can be massaged with a subtle mod or two to blend in a tad better.

For me, the rear needs the most creativity from the aftermarket companies. It desperately needs help. When I see the car on the road now, the rear just makes me sigh because of it's blandness....and then when I see the concept's rear below, I get really sad, because Lexus got it initially right, and then didn't deliver.

Old 05-13-12, 06:47 AM
yell01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's only so much that can be done to really differentiate car from car. They all "borrow" styling cues from the other brands. Look at the Hyundai Genesis, a total cross of the BMW 5, Mercedes E & 3GS...

I snowmobile and the snowmobile manufacturers do the same thing.
Old 05-27-12, 09:28 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I was just reading through the Audi A7 forum and found this post:

Someone mistakenly thought my car was a Kia Optima?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to a restaurant the other day with my wife and one of my kids and a waiter came out of nowhere and said "I am getting one those tomorrow!"

I said "great!"

He said "nice turbo, eh?"

I said, "no, it's supercharged"

He then said, "oh, I thought it was a Kia Optima"

So, there you go. Every car looks like every other car, and I guess these days it isn't bad to be confused with a Kia because they are now considered cutting-edge! Oh, and did I say I love my GS F Sport's rear end?
Old 05-28-12, 05:48 AM
pinipig523
Rookie

Yup, rear looks like a Hyundai. I agree w/ OP.
Old 05-28-12, 06:50 AM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I know this is an old thread, but I was just reading through the Audi A7 forum and found this post:

Someone mistakenly thought my car was a Kia Optima?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to a restaurant the other day with my wife and one of my kids and a waiter came out of nowhere and said "I am getting one those tomorrow!"

I said "great!"

He said "nice turbo, eh?"

I said, "no, it's supercharged"

He then said, "oh, I thought it was a Kia Optima"

So, there you go. Every car looks like every other car, and I guess these days it isn't bad to be confused with a Kia because they are now considered cutting-edge! Oh, and did I say I love my GS F Sport's rear end?
IMO its pretty bad to be confused with a KIA.
Old 05-28-12, 06:58 AM
omgitsjoe
Pole Position

If the rear looks so bland and like other car brands why not differentiate ourself from the rest of the pack with a couple of simple mods ????

There probably isn't any aftermarket ar spoilers yet but grab that and a rear window spoiler once these are out to market. They're usually installed with simple 3m tape and makes a huge difference and adds sportiness to that already sexy body of the 4G
Old 05-28-12, 10:04 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pinipig523
Yup, rear looks like a Hyundai. I agree w/ OP.
Does it really matter when the GS350 is so fun to drive? You'll be spending most of your time driving the car and enjoying the driving experience (since the new GS is currently the best driving sports sedan around) instead of spending time looking at the rear.

Unless you're a BMW owner, then maybe you'll be spending much more time at the dealership looking at your car being repaired instead of driving it. LOL

Last edited by natnut; 05-28-12 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-30-12, 11:31 AM
abacomike
Driver School Candidate

When I first saw the GS4 on the road before I got mine, the fist thing I said was, "...good giief, it looks just like a Toyota rear end!"

I still think the same thing, even after I bought my GS4. Of course, that is the only similarity.
Old 05-30-12, 11:58 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Does it really matter when the GS350 is so fun to drive? You'll be spending most of your time driving the car and enjoying the driving experience (since the new GS is currently the best driving sports sedan around) instead of spending time looking at the rear.

Unless you're a BMW owner, then maybe you'll be spending much more time at the dealership looking at your car being repaired instead of driving it. LOL
People that don't care about the look of a car don't spend 50K+ on their car. When you buy Lexus and other higher end cars, you expect distinctive and beautiful styling.

Actually, I give props to Kia and Hyundai for upping their game. I give thumbs down to Lexus for thinking customers will accept whatever they dish out. Looks like thats exactly whats happening too.

As for the op's comments, many cars have similarities. There are only so many designs out there. Plus, people try to stick with whatever is popular at the time. Doesn't bother me there are styling cues of another brand. What bothers me is Lexus created a car that this much conversation and controversy surround its appearance.
The 1 and 2GS models had nothing like this. The 3GS is not bad but even it didn't meet expectations established by the first 2. Lexus seems to have decided that they made tons of money and that's all that matters. Yopu guys keep buying the 4GS and the message to Lexus will be that you don't care if they make cars with controversial designs.

Good thing is there are so many other brands out there.
Old 05-30-12, 12:49 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Dude, you've have been against the 4GS since it came out...why keep coming over here to harp on it?
Old 05-30-12, 06:14 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

It does seem curious. Especially since the 3GS is so much more inferior to the 4GS. The closest analogy I can think of is a house-cat laughing at a lion for not being able to climb trees.
Old 05-30-12, 07:53 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
People that don't care about the look of a car don't spend 50K+ on their car. When you buy Lexus and other higher end cars, you expect distinctive and beautiful styling.

Actually, I give props to Kia and Hyundai for upping their game. I give thumbs down to Lexus for thinking customers will accept whatever they dish out. Looks like thats exactly whats happening too.

As for the op's comments, many cars have similarities. There are only so many designs out there. Plus, people try to stick with whatever is popular at the time. Doesn't bother me there are styling cues of another brand. What bothers me is Lexus created a car that this much conversation and controversy surround its appearance.
The 1 and 2GS models had nothing like this. The 3GS is not bad but even it didn't meet expectations established by the first 2. Lexus seems to have decided that they made tons of money and that's all that matters. Yopu guys keep buying the 4GS and the message to Lexus will be that you don't care if they make cars with controversial designs.

Good thing is there are so many other brands out there.
I don't think they care as much about the GS. Like the 3GS, the 4GS is the first of the new Lexus designs, and it will slowly begin to lag upcoming Lexus models in design. Lexus design is also very Engineering focused, and the best in class coefficient of drag no doubt played a big role in how the car was styled.
Old 05-30-12, 08:36 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

The last 5 Series was controversally styled and BMW sold more of them than ever before, so "playing it safe" and even coming out with attractive, unified designs doesn't necessarily sell cars. Lexus also did well in the early years of the SC430, which was sexy from some angles and downright weird from others. The perfectly proportioned, univerally beautiful SC300/400, not so much.

My GS is sexy enough that I admire it in parking lots when I'm walking away from it and never think "what the hell was I thinking?", and when I'm driving it I don't care how it looks on the outside.
Old 05-30-12, 08:39 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Dude, you've have been against the 4GS since it came out...why keep coming over here to harp on it?
+1. I asked that in a previous thread. Hang out in the 3GS forum if you don't like the car.

Quick Reply: Rear Styling