GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Car reading back e-mails

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-12, 08:48 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Car reading back e-mails

I don't think this has been posted before, but here goes...

I have my Blackberry synched to the car via Bluetooth. I was waiting in the service line to get my new tags put on when the car made a loud beep and started reading my new e-mail messages. I haven't even had the chance to go through the Owner's Manual yet, but I thought this was really cool. (I just quickly had to learn how to turn the volume down.)

I had read the car does it but hadn't experienced it first-hand, so I was pretty surprised and impressed.
Old 04-24-12, 08:51 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2

I have my Blackberry synched to the car via Bluetooth. I was waiting in the service line to get my new tags put on when the car made a loud beep and started reading my new e-mail messages. I haven't even had the chance to go through the Owner's Manual yet, but I thought this was really cool. (I just quickly had to learn how to turn the volume down.)

I had read the car does it but hadn't experienced it first-hand, so I was pretty surprised and impressed.
...glad to see someone that got it to work...not so much luck with my Droid Bionic...
Old 04-24-12, 08:54 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
...glad to see someone that got it to work...not so much luck with my Droid Bionic...
Wah, wah... sorry I brought it up!
Old 04-24-12, 09:10 PM
wlmngtn310
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stupid iPhone, can't believe all these functions dont work on my phone.
Old 04-24-12, 10:16 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2

thanx a lot dseag2 a few of us don't have that pleasure." this dumbass iPhone 4s".
Old 04-24-12, 11:12 PM
a6s
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interesting...

Originally Posted by wlmngtn310
stupid iPhone, can't believe all these functions dont work on my phone.
This is weird because @ KEYES Lexus - Amin showed me how to link the phone & other options. He also mentioned that ipones lack the "readability" for text & email. I was happy that my Samsung Galaxy S2 DID have the capability to read back messages.

This was disrupted when I got my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The bluetooth streaming & phone work fine but I lost the "readability" of messages. Let's keep our fingers crossed that a software update fixes our issues.
Old 04-29-12, 10:36 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

it all depended on the phone. It's a Bluetooth profile called MAP (message access profile). On Android phones your phone will support this if when you go into the the Bluetooth settings you see "Advanced setting” and in there you can turn on or off. It's a little more difficult to find in the blackberry, but a lot of them support it. No iPhones or Windows phone 7 though. It will allow you read your text message or e-mail through the display, but when the vehicle is in motion it will only read the text message or e-mail subject line.
Old 04-30-12, 04:32 AM
Liferules
Driver

Thanks, gkcmilner, for the details. I'll have to look for the MAP button in my phone and try this out!
Old 04-30-12, 02:47 PM
Lenp
Driver School Candidate

I just got my new GS last week, starlight black with saddle tan interior, tech plus package (canada) and I love it. I was driving home the first night and the car started reading my emails ... did not know about that feature,,, but I love it. This is a great car!

I have a BB Bold 9900 and although it will read the email, I have been unable to use the quick reply as I always get an error. Has anyone been able to figure it out or if the BB9900 is capable of it?
Old 05-01-12, 05:54 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gkcmilner
On Android phones your phone will support this if when you go into the the Bluetooth settings you see "Advanced setting” and in there you can turn on or off.
Thanks! Will try this out
Old 05-01-12, 08:16 AM
EGS350
Driver School Candidate

it all depended on the phone. It's a Bluetooth profile called MAP (message access profile). On Android phones your phone will support this if when you go into the the Bluetooth settings you see "Advanced setting” and in there you can turn on or off. It's a little more difficult to find in the blackberry, but a lot of them support it. No iPhones or Windows phone 7 though. It will allow you read your text message or e-mail through the display, but when the vehicle is in motion it will only read the text message or e-mail subject line.
Thanks to your advice about going into the Advanced Settings of my rooted HTC EVO 4G, I was able to turn on Message Access and finally get text messages read by the car. Thanks!
Old 05-01-12, 08:18 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We should all write to Apple and demand they implement MAP in their next OS release. Apparently this has been going on for years, ever since Ford Sync first stared using this protocol. Now many car manufacturers use it and the most popular phone doesn't support it.
Old 05-01-12, 09:32 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jj14
Thanks! Will try this out
I must be slow as I can't seem to find the menu from my Droid Bionic...
Old 05-01-12, 09:41 AM
EGS350
Driver School Candidate

From your home screen, select menu, then settings, then wireless networks, then bluetooth settings, then advanced settings, then you should see message access. Turn that on.
Old 05-01-12, 09:42 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I found it on my EVO 3D in the following option screen
Menu, settings, wireless & networks, (enable bluetooth), click bluetooth settings, , advanced settings, enable message access (checkbox), , and then, the "message access settings" below that should become enabled. Click on that and select "Email" and/or "SMS"

It should be similar for the Bionic (what version of android are you on? I'm on 2.3.4)

From https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ic---bluetooth
Bluetooth MAP is supported on BIONIC. However, its limited to MMS/SMS read/write from the car kit. Email functionality is not supported.

Edit: EGS350 beat me to it while I was typing my response! lol!

Last edited by jj14; 05-01-12 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Car reading back e-mails