GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is The 4th Gen GS THE Game Changer For Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 11:39 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Is The 4th Gen GS THE Game Changer For Lexus?

When has Lexus ever won 2 comparison tests in a row at Motortrend? First the 4th Gen GS350 F-Sport won over the BMW 535i and Audi A6 and now the GS450h beats the $30,000 more expensive PORSCHE Panamera hybrid??

I'm also beginning to see word spreading about the car enthusiast forums about the 4GS's handling ability and it's fun-to-drive factor. People are now starting to use previously unheard of terms to describe the GS :

"Ultimate Driving Machine" "The Driver's Car in It's Class" "Most nimble" "Tighter and Lighter than its competition" "Best Balanced Car"
It seems like the 4GS has singlehandedly and almost overnight changed perceptions of Lexus, even more so than the LFA and ISF. The reason being that the latter 2 cars were niche models but the GS350 is a mainstream Sport-Luxury model, being much more accessible to the upper-middle class, thus exposing a far wider audience to Lexus' new found dynamic capabilities.

Another thing is that Lexus used to compete on value, where if a potential shopper was willing to pay extra, he could upspec the competing German model to perform better than the Lexus. Now with the new GS350, even a fully spec'ed out 535i M-Sport or E350 with AMG package costing 10,000 more isn't necessarily a better driver's car or more fun in the corners.Now people are buying the GS not because it is the value proposition but because, given its competition and irrespective of price, it is still the more desirable car.

It might be premature to start crowing over the GS's initial success but that's the feeling I'm getting. The 4th Gen GS might go on to become a Lexus classic just like the 1st Gen LS400.

(PS : If I ever meet Akio Toyoda, Toyota's CEO, who personally oversaw the 4GS development, I want to shake that man's hands.)

Last edited by natnut; 04-23-12 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 11:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

no link? :-)
Old 04-23-12, 11:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...namera_hybrid/
Old 04-23-12, 11:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Is The 4th Gen GS THE Game Changer For Lexus?
I believe it truly is, but admittedly not without the LFA. Being the Halo car for the brand has allowed new tech passion design and engineering to go mainstream
Old 04-23-12, 12:22 PM
twx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, but I'm sure hoping it is! The 4GS is one SWEET CAR!
Old 04-23-12, 01:20 PM
Howiiieee
Rookie

It takes more than one car to change the image of a brand. How the new ES, LS, IS, and RX F Sport feel and drive will tell if the transformation is for real, or just for one car. We do have to remember Lexus still have a good image and following to protect.

Still this is a great start and I have dumped my BMW5 for the new GS. Will the ES and LS win over MBs and IS win over BMW3 (this will be tough)? I am quite excited to find out in the coming year.
Old 04-23-12, 01:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. GS450h easily beats M35h in fuel economy here (35 MPG vs 30 MPG in stop/go) while in German Autobild, M35h beat BMW 5 Hybrid by 20% in real life economy

:-)
Old 04-23-12, 01:31 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
When has Lexus ever won 2 comparison tests in a row at Motortrend? First the 4th Gen GS350 F-Sport won over the BMW 535i and Audi A6 and now the GS450h beats the $30,000 more expensive PORSCHE Panamera hybrid??

I'm also beginning to see word spreading about the car enthusiast forums about the 4GS's handling ability and it's fun-to-drive factor. People are now starting to use previously unheard of terms to describe the GS :

It seems like the 4GS has singlehandedly and almost overnight changed perceptions of Lexus, even more so than the LFA and ISF. The reason being that the latter 2 cars were niche models but the GS350 is a mainstream Sport-Luxury model, being much more accessible to the upper-middle class, thus exposing a far wider audience to Lexus' new found dynamic capabilities.

Another thing is that Lexus used to compete on value, where if a potential shopper was willing to pay extra, he could upspec the competing German model to perform better than the Lexus. Now with the new GS350, even a fully spec'ed out 535i M-Sport or E350 with AMG package costing 10,000 more isn't necessarily a better driver's car or more fun in the corners.Now people are buying the GS not because it is the value proposition but because, given its competition and irrespective of price, it is still the more desirable car.

It might be premature to start crowing over the GS's initial success but that's the feeling I'm getting. The 4th Gen GS might go on to become a Lexus classic just like the 1st Gen LS400.

(PS : If I ever meet Akio Toyoda, Toyota's CEO, who personally oversaw the 4GS development, I want to shake that man's hands.)

4GS = Mainstream LFA
Old 04-23-12, 01:43 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jedimaster
4GS-F = Mainstream LFA
Fixed it for ya. (hypothetically)
Old 04-23-12, 03:03 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely good stuff, and to think they were going to axe it.
Old 04-23-12, 03:03 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
And to think, Toyota actually debated on whether or not to kill the GS altogether.

If they continue in this direction with the new IS and LS, they will then have really changed the game!
Old 04-23-12, 03:32 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

IMHO,,,, it's only going to get better.
Old 04-23-12, 03:35 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes! Great start to a new direction. GS sales prove that
Old 04-23-12, 07:32 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you use the LFA as the base in which you're going design the rest of your cars from, then it's not hard to imagine. Keep in mind the LFA was 10 years in the making, designed from the ground up. Pushing some of that techology down to the GS, especially in terms of suspension design/egine electronics and so forth, will continue make the GS shine and out perform it's competitors. That's the direction Mr. Toyoda is going, and it's not going to be just the GS, the ES, IS and LS will shine as well. Mr. Toyoda is serious about changing the perception of the brand, by introducing more bolder designs and real performance vehicles. I love it, Lexus is stepping up their game and IMO they have the winning formula.
Old 04-23-12, 07:46 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I will probably have to quit posting here soon, and my opinion may not be appreciated by all, but here it is for what it's worth. I traded my 2010 GS350 for a BMW 550 M-Sport three weeks ago. My reasons are a bit complex, because no doubt the new GS is a lot closer to a BMW than my old GS was.

But here is my take. I fully believe the GS does what Motor Trend says it does. But if you read the part on the BMW, then the GS, what seems to win for the Lexus is that it is easier to throw into the curves and is more nimble. But read what they say about the BMW. They rave about the quiet solid and refined feel of the car while it still handles extremely well. And that is what I think 99.9% of buyers in this class are really looking for. Exactly what they said about the BMW is what blows me away every time I drive my BMW.

The reason I did not even seriously consider the Lexus is that they don't offer a more powerful V8 any more. Doesn't it strike anyone odd that the year they get serious about performance they only offer it with the exact same drive train as the previous year, only they drop the V8? What an opportunity to show how serious they are by offering the LS460s 380 hp and eight speed auto (or tweak it to 400hp to match the 550 BMW).

There are other things I don't care for about the new GS, but they are more subjective so I don't won't to elaborate. On the other hand, let me be sure I'm clear that I think the GS is a damn fine car and I would not tell anyone not to buy one. I personally don't think it beats the BMW yet. I just think that the magazines over rate the ultimate handling on cars like this. They seem to think every car should be rated on how well it handles when driven hard. Again, not a knock on the Lexus, I just think their priorities are not in line with most buyers.

Last edited by jjscsix; 04-23-12 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Is The 4th Gen GS THE Game Changer For Lexus?