Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Fourth Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Whistling Noise

Old 04-22-12, 06:31 AM   #1
CraigerL4
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Whistling Noise

I've had my new GS for about a week now and love it. I am experiencing a strange issue however. When I get up to about 50 mph, I can hear a high pitch, fairly loud, whistling noise coming from the driver's side of the car. At first I thought it was the seal between the window and the rubber, but when I rolled down the window, the noise got a lot louder. I then detected that it was coming from the mirror. If I reach out and put my hand on the backside of the mirror the noise stops. I guess my hand is disrupting the air flow around the part where the whistling noise is coming from. I can't believe that this is a design flaw, and the only thing I can think of is that the noise is coming from the protective film I had installed on the car. I had the front end and the backs of the mirrors covered with a clear plastic film (DigiShield). This however seems like a stretch as the film is very thin and almost invisible. I live 400 miles from where I bought the car, so going back to have them look at it is not an easy option. Any suggestions?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
CraigerL4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 10:49 AM   #2
CraigerL4
Driver School Candidate

Well I finally got around to solving my whistling mirror issue. Unbelievably, removing the protective film from the back of the mirror fixed it. The guy at the shop did not think the film was causing the problem and tried to talk me out of removing it. I said I had to eliminate it as a variable, so he took it off for $ 20.00. I then test drove and even up to 70 mph, quite as a mouse. Strange, and no issue with the passenger mirror. My GS F Sport is now perfect.
Old 06-02-12, 11:06 AM   #3
ECL
Lead Lap

I have had my GS for two days and have not had it up to fifty mph.
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 06:29 PM   #4
Nick88
Driver School Candidate

i have the same issues especially when driving around 70. I have a paint protection film as well. I'm going to remove it and see what happens.
Nick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 07:19 PM   #5
CraigerL4
Driver School Candidate

Hey Nick88

Let me know how you make out. I'll bet it fixes the problem.

CraigerL4
Old 06-09-12, 08:05 PM   #6
ego29iste
Driver School Candidate

Potentially the same issue here. Just picked up my 2013 GS350 F-Sport today and noticed the whistling sound from the driver's side mirror. My car has the film protection as well. However, mine was installed at the factory by Lexus as opposed to a third party installer. Once the break in period is over I will swing by and have them remove the film on the driver side mirror and hopefully that will address the issue.

I can understand if a third party film caused an issue. However, for Lexus installed film to cause this issue is unacceptable.
ego29iste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 07:09 AM   #7
Nick88
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigerL4 View Post
Hey Nick88

Let me know how you make out. I'll bet it fixes the problem.

CraigerL4
Just removed the film from the mirror, the noise is gone!
Nick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 08:03 AM   #8
CraigerL4
Driver School Candidate

Incredible isn't it, that a thin film could cause such a noise. Lexus must not have tried that option in the wind tunnel.
Old 06-10-12, 08:03 AM