GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F Sport vs Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 08:05 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
frankly, in most cases? it's more about the drivers than those larger brakes and wheels. let's just say me in my premium i have put some f sport to shame
That may be... But all things being equal. Driver, conditions, track surface, etc. a F Sport would win on the twisties.

I do admit, Premium model is a little more pampering especially for the rear passengers. And I wish I could get adaptive headlights. But I perfer the black headliner and aluminum trim over wood.
Old 03-18-15, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rijc99
Actually Premium and Luxury do not have 4 piston setups.

Standard comes with 2 piston calipers with 13.1 inch standard rotors. F Sport RWD comes with monoblock 4 piston calipers with 2 piece 14 inch rotors consisting of the lightweight aluminum hat that is fastened to the sliding section using an integrated pin for added airflow. Not many cars come with 2 piece rotors from the factory. Especially proper ones with aluminum hats.

Oh. And VGRS is nice too.
really? any document on this? looking at the caliper and comparing it to 3gs, hard to imagine such a massive 2 pot design for the front

That may be... But all things being equal. Driver, conditions, track surface, etc. a F Sport would win on the twisties.

I do admit, Premium model is a little more pampering especially for the rear passengers. And I wish I could get adaptive headlights. But I perfer the black headliner and aluminum trim over wood.
i never said the fsport car itself isn't faster

i am just saying in reality, it takes a lot to really gain from the extra on the fsport. it's just like car to car it looks like the m4 is faster than the rcf, but you got bunch of people defending that in reality the cars are so close to each other
Old 03-18-15, 09:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...d+identity.htm

" Ventilated disc brakes featuring four-piston aluminum front calipers are endowed with the latest electronic enhancements to help provide braking balance and control. "

they are all 4 pots up front it seems
Old 03-18-15, 10:02 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

i never said the fsport car itself isn't faster

i am just saying in reality, it takes a lot to really gain from the extra on the fsport. it's just like car to car it looks like the m4 is faster than the rcf, but you got bunch of people defending that in reality the cars are so close to each other
I understand there are variables in drivers among other factors but if you want a true comparison car to car you have to take those out of the equation. Guys with the non F Sport are saying those extra parts don't mean much and I'm saying all things being equal, and thats how a true comparison should be, the FSport will out perform in the corners and repeated stops. Outside on the streets, a guy driving a 335 may outrun a M3 in the canyons but that doesn't change the fact the M3 is faster. Just that the M3 driver is not as good as the guy in the 335.

they are all 4 pots up front it seems
Sorry... Nope. They're not.

Specs for non F Sport.
http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/specifications

Look at the F Sport package.
http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/packages

Last edited by rijc99; 03-18-15 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 10:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

very interesting
Old 03-18-15, 10:27 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Oh also, according to the package list, the AVS on the FSport is FSport tuned. Indicating that the AVS system on the Luxury and FSport models are not the same. So it's not just brakes. Therefore if you want to do a FSport conversion you would have to do the brakes, VGRS, tire/wheels, and either shocks or some how integrate the FSport shock tuning into the PCM if the shocks are the same with different tuning.

A few other differences...
The F SPORT package for the GS 350 is a comprehensive chassis enhancement, with sport-tuned suspension, 19-inch wheels and larger front brakes with high-friction brake pads. In addition to its firmer springs, thicker stabilizer bars and special bushings, the F SPORT package equips the GS 350 with AVS damping system and a variable gear ratio steering system.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...rds+luxury.htm

Last edited by rijc99; 03-19-15 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-19-15, 09:16 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Oh also, according to the package list, the AVS on the FSport is FSport tuned. Indicating that the AVS system on the Luxury and FSport models are not the same. So it's not just brakes. Therefore if you want to do a FSport conversion you would have to do the brakes, VGRS, tire/wheels, and either shocks or some how integrate the FSport shock tuning into the PCM if the shocks are the same with different tuning.
Doing a bit of research I picked-up on this also. The AVS for the F-Sport is not the same as the AVS for the Luxury. I don't know if the struts are different, or the motorized adjustment heads may be different, or the logic signal is different...or some combination thereof is different for the F-Sport model versus the Luxury model.