GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rattles anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-14, 08:55 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
both door panels driver and passenger rattle when a bass-heavy song plays. I don't know what to do about it
Yeah, it's the window/door controls. Someone posted a howto on taking them out and putting felt tape where it belongs to stop it.
Old 05-25-14, 08:56 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The dealer fixed it for me. He said foam and felt...didn't want to open it up ...now it handles max volume.
Old 05-26-14, 06:58 AM
rockyman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dash rattle/passenger seat rattle

I have the dash rattle and empty passenger seat rattle. Dash rattle is intermittent, so hard to take it to the dealer. Seat rattle is intermittent too. Just depends on road surface. Seat belt rattles, too.
Old 05-26-14, 09:28 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Wow, this rattle business sucks. I'm a first time Lexus owner and I'm worried now. I have a 12 year old Nissan Altima V6 that I've abused. I've driven it hard, really hard. It's got dings and scratches and something bent underneath when my daughter borrowed it and got stuck in a ditch, but there isn't a rattle or a squeak! Same deal with my six year old Acura RDX Turbo. Over 100K miles and zero squeaks or rattles.

I would've purchased another Nissan but the Maxima is in the same class as the ES and wanted something more. Infiniti M only looks good in black and is too cramped inside, IMHO. Then I tried to by another Acura, so I test drove the new RLX. Roomier than the GS (it's more like the Lexus LS in size but priced like the GS) but they only offered FWD last summer and I insist on AWD (without the hybrid). Still, I admire those two brands for build quality.

I hope my Lexus lives up to that level of build quality. I have another 18 mos on my lease. If it doesn't live up to the build quality in my Acura and Nissan cars, I won't lease or buy another Lexus. I might try Jaguar instead.
Old 05-27-14, 10:25 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Try Jaguar? LOL. Let us know how that goes, each time the tow truck driver is chaining it up. The new model that backfires (intentionally) sounds like a monster and would be super fun to toss around canyons, but I wouldn't put my hard-earned money into anything the Brits build. Nobody ever says "built like a British car" unless they're talking about electrical gremlins and mysterious oil leaks/engine fires.
Old 05-27-14, 11:28 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rockyman
I have the dash rattle and empty passenger seat rattle. Dash rattle is intermittent, so hard to take it to the dealer. Seat rattle is intermittent too. Just depends on road surface. Seat belt rattles, too.
if you drive it for 1 million miles, the rattle will go away, just ask lexus lol. They didn't detect any rattles when they tested it.
Old 05-28-14, 03:31 AM
GS250
Driver

mine is 30,000 KM. no rattle except the passenger side seat belt when not in use and when the buckle is at certain position will hit the side pillar which is very annoying and sometimes drives me crazy especially early in the morning.
Old 07-03-14, 10:49 AM
MikeyTown
Driver School Candidate

Mine is at about 2400 miles and I just noticed a rattle coming from the glove box.

I only hear it when the car is stopped, and the engine is at an idle. The rattle is not present with the glove box open, only when it is closed. Additionally, when the rattle is happening, it will go away if I push on the front of the glove box. It takes a bit of pressure to get it to go away when pushing on the top/left of the glove box, but it takes almost no pressure when pushing on the top/right of the glove box. Because of this, I have a feeling that the latch on the right side is the culprit.

Any ideas on how to make this rattle go away? I really don't want hassle with taking it to the dealer for something this small.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-03-14, 02:59 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

I have the tapping noise in my driver door. The only thing i've found to stop it is rolling the window down a bit. Waiting to have it checked at the 5k mark, unless someone knows of a fix...
Old 07-03-14, 03:54 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

All this rattle sounds like my old Camry. That thing rattles, pops, taps, squeaks so bad that I had to get rid of it after just 2.5 years.

My '14 GS with 3000 miles is already making some tapping noise near the driver's a/c vent and I thought I heard another one by the sunroof area. Hope it doesn't spread..

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 07-03-14 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-03-14, 09:34 PM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Yeah, it's the window/door controls. Someone posted a howto on taking them out and putting felt tape where it belongs to stop it.
Do you have a link?
Old 07-03-14, 10:39 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by hube
Do you have a link?
Just search "rattle" title in the 4GS subforum
Old 07-04-14, 03:00 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That would be this link then: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...attle-fix.html
Old 07-05-14, 09:58 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Passenger side seat belt bangs against the hard plastic interior...drives me nuts.
Ditto this issue. Just took the GSh in for 20K service. They corrected a squeak occurring underneath the glove box. They called it a loose mounting bolt under the dash. Problem solved. Also get noise from the rear door window shades. Probably nothing can be done about that since those go up and down regularly. Noise occurs whether the shades are up or down. Not as much of a annoyance as that squeak from under the glove box. Glad to have that fixed.
Old 07-06-14, 01:34 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
All this rattle sounds like my old Camry. That thing rattles, pops, taps, squeaks so bad that I had to get rid of it after just 2.5 years.

My '14 GS with 3000 miles is already making some tapping noise near the driver's a/c vent and I thought I heard another one by the sunroof area. Hope it doesn't spread..
I noticed my '13 taps the sunroof when it's wide open, but it's silent when it's closed. Have you ever looked at the mechanism? They put a pound of lithium grease on all the moving parts in there, but it still taps. Not sure what or where. Here in North Texas, there are maybe 15 days out of the year when the sunroof can be open, so no big deal.

Quick Reply: Rattles anyone?