GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rattles anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-12, 06:15 PM
vednam
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Btw, be careful about letting the warranty department do anything major like removing the dashboard, and re-assembling it. The warranty department only removed my central console, but afterwards my 3GS was even worse for rattle!!! I gave up and accept the minor annoying rattles. I try to drive with the windows or sunroof open as much as possible. The old 3GS had a notorious reputation for rattles. I'm sure the new 4GS will be better off, especially for those who hold off their purchase till the second year of release...
Old 05-12-12, 07:38 PM
MarkGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rattles were far worse in my 2nd gen than my 3rd gen. And I live in a warmer location, so my cars generally didn't rattle until it was cold out. And those rattles came from the dash/windshield until the car warmed up.
Old 05-13-12, 01:41 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Nyet

Solid as oak!
Old 05-13-12, 08:53 AM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
If you buy your Lexus new, then you should expect to get all the small details fixed including rattles as best as the Dealer can figure out. I believe it's written up somewhere in the 6month or 1year adjustment period thingy. Pursuit of Perfection and all that.

The people with the opposite attitudes are typically the newcomers to this forum who have bought their Lexus 2nd hand, or even already out of warranty. They are a different class of owners. I still visit 2gs forum, but it's clear the population who are active there are different than the generation that bought those cars new.
I am a Lexus Master Tech in Atlanta and at my dealership (and all in our area) we fix rattles and noises all the way through the entire 50k mile warrenty. It may be different in CA but we have never not fixed a rattle because it was out of the 1 year, 12 month adjustment period. We only use the adjustment period for things like alignment issues. Just FYI.
Old 05-13-12, 08:57 AM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

We have 2k on ours and we have no rattles so far!!
Old 05-14-12, 07:57 AM
danjb
Driver School Candidate

No rattles in my new 2013 F Sport yet, although the key fob rattles! The metal key that inserts into the key fob has a small amount of extra room, enough that when I walk around with it you hear a very audible (and annoying rattle). A tiny piece of masking tape around the base of the metal key seems to have cured this.
Old 05-14-12, 09:08 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by danjb
No rattles in my new 2013 F Sport yet, although the key fob rattles! The metal key that inserts into the key fob has a small amount of extra room, enough that when I walk around with it you hear a very audible (and annoying rattle). A tiny piece of masking tape around the base of the metal key seems to have cured this.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-snug-fit.html
Yeah, that is really annoying! Surprising that it made it thru' quality assurance - it should have been really easy to fix (if they can eliminate rattles from the entire car with such snug fitting parts, the key rattle should have been easy to fix)
Old 05-14-12, 12:51 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I liked the old key fobs....why did they change them???? They're very flimsy now....cheap plastic that was probably outsourced from China.
Old 05-16-12, 06:29 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My driver side window got some rattle when go over the bump. I try hold/pushing the door panel but no luck.

I roll down the window just a little bit then the rattle gone completely.

Anyone have the same problem?

How do I isolate the rattle and fix it?
Old 05-17-12, 05:15 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite
My driver side window got some rattle when go over the bump. I try hold/pushing the door panel but no luck.

If the problem is consistent, take it to the dealership and tell them to figure it out and fix it.
Old 05-17-12, 08:37 AM
freddy2020
Rookie

Originally Posted by onexcite

I have the exact exact same rattle and I can make it go away the same way you stated by slightly rolling down the window.
Old 05-17-12, 10:05 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jj14
If the problem is consistent, take it to the dealership and tell them to figure it out and fix it.
I just don't want dealer mess with those, more rattle will pop out after they fix one. At least that my experiences with other Lexus' s owned before.

Just want a way to fix it by myself, really annoy for a new car.
Old 05-18-12, 08:23 PM
rockyman
Rookie

Default Yes

Dash rattle after 2 weeks. Dealer pulling dash to fix. Hey, what do you want? It's only $60k! Shulda bot Camry.
Old 05-19-12, 07:24 PM
steilkurve
Rookie

Got both rattles mentioned here. Driver side door and middle of dash, around screen. First showed up pretty much right away. Second just did, two weeks after delivery. I wouldn't say they are rattles but rather small tics when I hit a bump.
Old 05-19-12, 09:48 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It appears they're becoming somewhat common which is kinda good , so in time Lexus should know exactly where the problems points are and some felt tape should take care of them; question is do you want to be part of the learning curve for Lexus having some pieces/parts removed/replaced they may not be necessary?

I always like to take some business or credit cards and carefully slide the I between where the noise is coming from until you find the exact spot, once it's found then the shop can get some felt tape in there and it should be good.

Last edited by 052SI; 05-19-12 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Rattles anyone?