GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 gs????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-12, 04:35 PM
itruns
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kssod
New GS is getting great reviews almost ready to pull the trigger. The concern is that the most apparent shortcoming is the carryover engine and 6 speed. I wonder if there might not be a 2014 upgrade to a 3.7 or something with the Lexus 8 speed. The GS will be the only new car with a six speed in the Lexus lineup. RX, IS and LS all have the 8 speed. Didn't Lexus carryover the 3.0 when they came out with the 3rd gen GS, and then upgrade to the GS 350 the next year after the introduction? Wouldn't want to have buyers remorse and not have the new new GS especially if it has a performance boost to put it on par with the A6.
All current IS's are 6 speed but the ISF and it has a modified version of the LS460 engine and Transmission, so it started with an 8 speed ..... All current RX's are 6 speeds.. Although the 2013 RX F-Sport is to be an 8 speed.

I don't know if I would expect more than a bump to an 8 speed for the 2014 GS but who knows with Lexus... and more gears doesn't seem to have helped the 8 speed BMW or 7 speed Mercedes much as the GS is quicker, with better gas mileage than either even with it's "carryover power train".

Just like the LS1 boys showed the Mustang guys for years,(Ford quad cam, 4 valve dohc verses cam in block 2 valve heads in the LT1) technology just for technologies sake doesn't always give you what you expected... And Hyundai has a 10-speed transmission in the works…
Old 04-13-12, 05:57 PM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

New GS is getting great reviews almost ready to pull the trigger. The concern is that the most apparent shortcoming is the carryover engine and 6 speed. I wonder if there might not be a 2014 upgrade to a 3.7 or something with the Lexus 8 speed. The GS will be the only new car with a six speed in the Lexus lineup. RX, IS and LS all have the 8 speed. Didn't Lexus carryover the 3.0 when they came out with the 3rd gen GS, and then upgrade to the GS 350 the next year after the introduction? Wouldn't want to have buyers remorse and not have the new new GS especially if it has a performance boost to put it on par with the A6.
Just think of the people who bought a 2006 GS300. What are their feeling when one year later, the 2007 GS350 has a much much better engine (which even has more hp than the V8 GS430); and also it has better brake system directly borrow from the V8 variant? Will they regret? - Of course they defenitely will.

Toyota is working on a new powertrain, which will be so brilliant that it will shine just like when the 2GR-FSE bow to the public initially in 2006.
Old 04-13-12, 06:35 PM
Howiiieee
Rookie

I don't get why people are so hung up on the 6 speed transmission. There is very little difference in Automatic as they all shift smoothly and you can hardly feel it as a 6 or 7 or 8 speed. Lexus decided on the 6 speed because it shift much better manually than the 8 speed. I will take a smooth 6 speed over a clunky 8 speed anytime.

Why people keep asking for V8? It is a heavy engine and will hurt the balance and the lightness of the car. So what if it is 0.5 second faster to 60mph?

We should judge a car on how you feel while driving it. How much do you enjoy driving it. Not that it has the best stats on the sheet. Otherwise, we all should be driving American Muscle cars.

I don't see any break through technology in a couple of years that will add too much on a very good car. I am very happy with my 2013 GS FS now and foreseeable future.
Old 04-13-12, 06:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by felixcat
Just think of the people who bought a 2006 GS300. What are their feeling when one year later, the 2007 GS350 has a much much better engine (which even has more hp than the V8 GS430); and also it has better brake system directly borrow from the V8 variant? Will they regret? - Of course they defenitely will.

Toyota is working on a new powertrain, which will be so brilliant that it will shine just like when the 2GR-FSE bow to the public initially in 2006.
point is, it will not have 350hp.... it is base engine.

at very best, it will be superb turbo, but as such it will have deficiencies compared to GR V6, such as throttle response time.
Old 04-13-12, 06:47 PM
kssod
Rookie

I do drive a muscle car(C6), and am spoiled by torque. The largest complaint on the RL board has been the lack of torque. The A6 just moves out at any speed and the 8 speed tranny is very smooth, and seems to always be there in the right gear. Unlike the 5 series that is tuned to always go in the highest possible gear, and always seems to hesitate, the A6 is mapped for the enthusiast. In the GS given the AWD, a little higher torque and a extra couple of cogs may not improve the bottom line acceleration numbers much but I bet no one would complain of the extra grunt and the car would feel even quicker.
Old 04-13-12, 06:50 PM
Howiiieee
Rookie

Here is another example. I am still using the first iPad. It does everything I plan to do on it and it does it well. Now the "iPad3" has come out, but it did not add enough new features that make me want to switch. Same thing on the iPhone4 and iPhone 4S. Should I change phone just to get Siri? NO.

The same generation improvement is really marginal.

My suggestion is if you are happy with what you are driving right now, then wait. If you really want to get a new ride, find what is best for you at the time and just do it (if you can afford it).
Old 04-13-12, 07:10 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

My hope is that they add valvematic to any new engine and carryover the Ft-86 steering ecu to any mid-cycle refreshes of the GS.

Apparently the steering feel of the Ft-86 is the best implementation of electronic steering yet, besting the new Porsche and 3 series in feel and feedback.
Old 04-13-12, 08:20 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If the car is beating the 5 Series, A6 and M37 in the tests, there would seem to be no need to enhance the performance for a while. That is, unless they want to go after the M5 or S6, which will then make sense. The GS is selling well as is. No need to change it until the compeitors change or the sales numbers start to sink, and I doubt that will be next year.

The word is getting out that the GS is a great car.
Old 04-14-12, 07:39 PM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
point is, it will not have 350hp.... it is base engine.

at very best, it will be superb turbo, but as such it will have deficiencies compared to GR V6, such as throttle response time.
Back in 2005, few can imagine that Lexus will bring a engine that put out more than 300hp using just 3.5L displacement. Trust me, Toyota will always bring out something unbelievable every 6-7 years. Technology do advance.
Old 04-14-12, 08:15 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I do drive a muscle car(C6), and am spoiled by torque. The largest complaint on the RL board has been the lack of torque. The A6 just moves out at any speed and the 8 speed tranny is very smooth, and seems to always be there in the right gear. Unlike the 5 series that is tuned to always go in the highest possible gear, and always seems to hesitate, the A6 is mapped for the enthusiast. In the GS given the AWD, a little higher torque and a extra couple of cogs may not improve the bottom line acceleration numbers much but I bet no one would complain of the extra grunt and the car would feel even quicker.
The A6 moves out because it has a V6 Supercharged engine with torque at just about any RPM. M S5 Cab is like a rocket. I don't see Lexus adding a Supercharger or Turbocharger to their engine. Even so, I passed up the A6 for the GS F Sport because I like the overall car more. I love almost all Audis, but the A6 doesn't do it for me.
Old 04-15-12, 12:40 AM
qualityday
Rookie

I would say just wait for the 2015 as I hear it's getting the 9 speed automatic...)
Old 04-15-12, 03:09 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
If you spend your life waiting on the next great thing, you'll never enjoy anything. Good luck with your decision.
Well said. I was kind of like that too.
Old 04-15-12, 03:36 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You raise some interesting (and valid points) EXCEPT:
Originally Posted by Howiiieee
Why people keep asking for V8? It is a heavy engine and will hurt the balance and the lightness of the car. So what if it is 0.5 second faster to 60mph?
I would have to disagree on this one. As superb as the 2GR-FE is, it is obviously no match for the performance of the 1UR engine (like the one in the 3GS - GS460). I've personally test driven one and you can really feel the mid-end torque of an eight cylinder.

I test drove a GS460 without D4-S direct injection (1UR-FE) so a reduction of 40 hp as well as 40 Nm torque compared to the Direct Injection model. For me, acceleration feel was more linear and torque availability is more spread out.

Fact is, the more you increase your cylinder count, the greater you increase the availability of your torque throughout the rev range (hence wider powerband)

In the end yeah, that was probably the best legacy (for me) of the 3rd generation GS in that the GS460 had one hell of an engine

I'm thinking that Lexus may come with an eight cylinder for the GS in the near future. Think about it. If history is an indication, the GS460 arrived during the MMC facelift of the 3GS.

I, for one, would welcome an EIGHT CYLINDER for the 4th Generation Lexus GS (it might come out in a possible GS-F)

Two cents
Old 04-15-12, 08:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

RL and GS are not the same... 2GR-FSE makes 90% of its torque from 2000 rpm

it is very nice engine. No wonder passing numbers are in some cases better than 535i andeven A6, despite them having a lot more torque.
Old 04-15-12, 09:21 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by qualityday
I would say just wait for the 2015 as I hear it's getting the 9 speed automatic...)
I heard it was a CVT!

Quick Reply: 2014 gs????