GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Free car washes at dealerships.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 09:17 PM
Ninja10r
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow , my dealer hand washes with a trained staff , invited the customers out to see it as well, huge to me, same guy doing the detailing for the last 9 yrs ,I'm happy
Old 04-10-12, 11:22 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a dashboard camera installed in my car (2007 Obsidian GS450H) and when they took it to the wash, they did not turn the car off. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

It was a teenager kinda looking guy swiping his finger across the car to see how dirty the car was, which puts swirls into the paint (dust sliding on paint = sand paper). After, they used a pressure washer, which I can hear my car screaming from the HIGH pressure and direct angle pointing at the car. They then sprayed the car with foam, and used a mitt to wash the whole car without rising. At the end, they rinsed the car and drove the car out to their OUTSIDE parking lot without drying, and set the wipers to max to clean the water off the windshield. The car sat there for a whole day until I picked it up.

Now if you love your car, you would not let them wash your car, I saw it with my own eyes....
Old 04-10-12, 11:26 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
I have a dashboard camera installed in my car (2007 Obsidian GS450H) and when they took it to the wash, they did not turn the car off. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

It was a teenager kinda looking guy swiping his finger across the car to see how dirty the car was, which puts swirls into the paint (dust sliding on paint = sand paper). After, they used a pressure washer, which I can hear my car screaming from the HIGH pressure and direct angle pointing at the car. They then sprayed the car with foam, and used a mitt to wash the whole car without rising. At the end, they rinsed the car and drove the car out to their OUTSIDE parking lot without drying, and set the wipers to max to clean the water off the windshield. The car sat there for a whole day until I picked it up.

Now if you love your car, you would not let them wash your car, I saw it with my own eyes....
Now this is scarey!!
Old 04-11-12, 12:35 AM
pinipig523
Rookie

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
Now this is scarey!!
What do you guys expect? It's free.

No free lunch, that's what I learned (there are exceptions however).

My dealer also offers free carwash on my current Infiniti but I rarely take advantage of it because I don't trust it.
Old 04-11-12, 01:44 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

My vehicle was in for a service, didn't want them to wash the car but they did. But I'm guessing free car wash and car service car wash are the same...
Old 04-11-12, 04:47 AM
a6s
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It is something to consider...

Originally Posted by pinipig523
What do you guys expect? It's free.

No free lunch, that's what I learned (there are exceptions however).

My dealer also offers free carwash on my current Infiniti but I rarely take advantage of it because I don't trust it.
It is like what you've heard been said before... "you get what you pay for" I wouldn't trust the dealership's wash after reading some of these horror stories. I found a great 100% hand wash carwash in my city & signed up for a monthly unlimited wash program. I take the car in when needed. Just thought I'd share.
Old 04-11-12, 05:49 AM
Leo23
Driver

All right, I have seen this thread floating all this time, and I guess I will post my own horror story:

Bought the car new, but out of state. So the day I got the car I went directly to the dealer near home to get the car registered in my state.*

Soon as I got there, there was a young guy. His job is to number the cars as they arrive. So he put this numbered orange plastic cone on the windshield, as I stepped out, he reaches inside and amusingly to my eyes, he activates the wind shield wipers which kept hitting the plastic cone against the glass-seals, repeatedly!!*
Now this is my first day with my new car and I am not getting a good feeling!*The car, while it disappeared fast, I realized I forgot my wallet in it. So in the office, the service agent told me to wait 5 minutes because the car is being washed and it's almost over. Sooo, the car came nice and clean, there was a bunch service people saying nothing (looked like they were waiting to see my face), I go toward the passenger side and I see a big huge deep scratch from the passenger door all the way to the top left side. The rim was damaged and not repairable because the ding was deep....

Now that was my first day! I was almost in state of shock!

The guys said they know nothing about it, they didn't know what happened. but then when the person in charge came over he immediately said they'll fix it as new, don't worry.

I must say that after that Lexus dealer was impeccable.

Anyway, that was my first and "fun" day!
Old 04-11-12, 06:02 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
I'm sure the dealership can do a full detail for you, if you are willing to pay.
I've had Park Place (in TX) Lexus do a full detail for me - they do clean the interior and the engine bay fairly well, but their exterior detailing leaves a lot to be desired. They do wash the car, but water doesn't bead in most areas (not right after the detailing, not after 12 hours of curing). It is almost as though they stripped the previous wax during the wash, but forgot to put it back on (or put it only in a few places).
I don't know how Sewell is, but I'll probably try it myself first.
Old 04-11-12, 06:30 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Leo23
All right, I have seen this thread floating all this time, and I guess I will post my own horror story:

Bought the car new, but out of state. So the day I got the car I went directly to the dealer near home to get the car registered in my state.*

Soon as I got there, there was a young guy. His job is to number the cars as they arrive. So he put this numbered orange plastic cone on the windshield, as I stepped out, he reaches inside and amusingly to my eyes, he activates the wind shield wipers which kept hitting the plastic cone against the glass-seals, repeatedly!!*
Now this is my first day with my new car and I am not getting a good feeling!*The car, while it disappeared fast, I realized I forgot my wallet in it. So in the office, the service agent told me to wait 5 minutes because the car is being washed and it's almost over. Sooo, the car came nice and clean, there was a bunch service people saying nothing (looked like they were waiting to see my face), I go toward the passenger side and I see a big huge deep scratch from the passenger door all the way to the top left side. The rim was damaged and not repairable because the ding was deep....

Now that was my first day! I was almost in state of shock!

The guys said they know nothing about it, they didn't know what happened. but then when the person in charge came over he immediately said they'll fix it as new, don't worry.

I must say that after that Lexus dealer was impeccable.

Anyway, that was my first and "fun" day!
Wow, just when you thought you've heard and seen it all
Old 04-11-12, 06:51 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
The guys said they know nothing about it, they didn't know what happened.
I don't get how they think they can get away with this... most dealerships that I've been to have multiple video cameras that record the cars as they come in (some of these are fairly high resolution ones) - so it is not like they can get away by saying that they don't know about it...
UGH!

I had taken my previous ES for a wash at the dealership - it came out ok, except when I was getting ready to drive away, I noticed that my side mirror was black (non-reflective). It wasn't physically broken as far as I could see, but I just couldn't see any reflection in it! The dealership replaced it (well, it was under warranty, so they didn't really have to pay out of pocket), but they said that regardless of warranty status, they'd have fixed it since it was fine when the car was given to them for the wash.
Old 04-11-12, 07:07 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I used to go to the dealership for the free wash when it was dirty and needed a vacuum but since I got the LED emblems I have told them to not wash it, They have offered this for a while, my service guy once said to just drive in and get a wash, so I did.
Old 04-11-12, 07:26 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I used to go to the dealership for the free wash when it was dirty and needed a vacuum but since I got the LED emblems I have told them to not wash it, They have offered this for a while, my service guy once said to just drive in and get a wash, so I did.
They make it sound so easy don't they? What are LED emblems BTW?
Old 04-11-12, 10:43 AM
Leo23
Driver

Originally Posted by jj14
I don't get how they think they can get away with this... most dealerships that I've been to have multiple video cameras that record the cars as they come in (some of these are fairly high resolution ones) - so it is not like they can get away by saying that they don't know about it...
UGH!

I had taken my previous ES for a wash at the dealership - it came out ok, except when I was getting ready to drive away, I noticed that my side mirror was black (non-reflective). It wasn't physically broken as far as I could see, but I just couldn't see any reflection in it! The dealership replaced it (well, it was under warranty, so they didn't really have to pay out of pocket), but they said that regardless of warranty status, they'd have fixed it since it was fine when the car was given to them for the wash.
I didn't know or think about the video surveillance caneras. Thats a good point
Old 04-11-12, 10:52 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

There seems to be a lot of horror stories. My dealership does a good job and it is a great service for customers. We use a power washer, hand wash, touchless automatic wash, hand dry, vaccum, tire shine. Any time there is the occasional scratch, the detailers buff it out. It is a great benefit of being a Lexus owner
Old 04-11-12, 05:07 PM
Leo23
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusNN
There seems to be a lot of horror stories. My dealership does a good job and it is a great service for customers. We use a power washer, hand wash, touchless automatic wash, hand dry, vaccum, tire shine. Any time there is the occasional scratch, the detailers buff it out. It is a great benefit of being a Lexus owner
Look, despite my horror story I described earlier, Lexus, as a whole brand and organization, is the reason why I bought another Lexus. Each time I walked in BMW and Audi I did not feel the same reassurance (only snobbishness) I felt when I walked into my Lexus dealer...
So despite they messed up my new car I'm still a Lexus lover.

Quick Reply: Free car washes at dealerships.