GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Free car washes at dealerships.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 04:43 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow - I can't believe that you guys prefer not to have the car washed by the dealership. Is it really that bad? I thought they'd take care, and do a proper hand wash and not use older rags to dry. I'll have to think about this the next time I service my car.

+1 for the question about the Mr. Clean product. Anyone use it and recommend it?
Old 04-01-12, 06:26 PM
lexesty72
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used Mr. Clean once and put it away since I still could see water spots when not dried right away and I don't feel like buying the replacement filters and soap. Keep in mind, the water for my county is very hard so I just use the water from the water softner so it won't leave any water spots when washing the car.
Old 04-01-12, 06:54 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I usually take mine to the self serve car wash, put in $3, set it on the Spot-free rinse, and dry off my car while using some type of wax-as-you-dry spray wax!
Old 04-01-12, 07:31 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I always hand wash my own cars unless we've been through a bad storm because then the undercarriage needs washing too. I will let the dealership wash it if it's in for service but no other time.
Old 04-01-12, 09:36 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Got PSI
have any of you used this before ?
IMHO,,,,, it's a waste of money. to dry my car quickly i spray chemical guys synthetic quick detailer while the car is still wet. one pass with the waffle weave or plush microfiber drying towel and it's done. no going over the same spot twice.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 04-01-12 at 09:40 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-01-12, 09:39 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
Wow - I can't believe that you guys prefer not to have the car washed by the dealership. Is it really that bad? I thought they'd take care, and do a proper hand wash and not use older rags to dry. I'll have to think about this the next time I service my car.

+1 for the question about the Mr. Clean product. Anyone use it and recommend it?
if you can sneak back to where they service the cars and watch them wash a car. you'll never have your car washed by the dealer again.
Old 04-05-12, 06:13 PM
yell01
Driver School Candidate

Man, you guys need better dealers. The dealer I go to (McGrath in Westmont, IL) has a tunnel system installed by one of the top car washes in the area who also sells equipment. I always took my 06 GS there and will take my 13 GS-F there when I get it in a few weeks.
Old 04-05-12, 09:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888

sadly behind the scenes should remain behind the scenes. Most of these car washes offered by the dealership are done by minimum wage workers who don't care much
Old 04-05-12, 11:20 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't let my dealer wash my car either. They just drive it through a wash that has metal rails for the wheels and uses those "soft" brushes that touch your car, but end up leaving swirls overtime. The best wash you can do is at home, use a separate bucket for clean water and dirty water and use warm water with a good car soap. I recommend Meguairs products, but there's a lot of good stuff out there.

Don't bother, it WAS decent. But they stopped manufacturing the filters/supplies back in 2009. You won't be finding replacement supplies for long (if you can even still find any now)
Old 04-06-12, 06:25 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I'm really bummed out about this whole car wash deal at the dealership. I was really hoping to be able to take advantage of this awesome offer of free car washes for life. Talked to a couple of buddies that work for Mercedes and Caddilac and they said that they are offering the same deal at their dealerships and tons of people run their cars through the wash every day. Guess they don't know what really goes on back there
Old 04-06-12, 07:54 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexesty72
Used Mr. Clean once and put it away since I still could see water spots when not dried right away and I don't feel like buying the replacement filters and soap. Keep in mind, the water for my county is very hard so I just use the water from the water softner so it won't leave any water spots when washing the car.
I tried it once on a black Vette I owned and returned it for a full refund due to spotting. I've grown to be less OCPD about my paint and let the dealer wash my daily drivers. I stopped by the dealer yesterday to re-sign some paperwork and they washed my new GS.
Old 04-06-12, 08:02 AM
SpEe1113
Driver School Candidate

I would think the dealer should only be washing the car as instructed by Lexus and noted in the owners manuals. If they ruin the paint from washing it, they should be liable to fix it.
Old 04-06-12, 08:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I bought one of these kits (it's since been discontinued and no longer made). It worked OK in our hard water, but wasn't convenient. It did a good job on windows on our house. The vertical surfaces dried clean and spot free.
Old 04-06-12, 01:42 PM
Got PSI
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think im going to order these things....

http://www.autogeek.net/auqufofogun.html
http://www.autogeek.net/foam-gun-soap.html
http://www.autogeek.net/california-jelly-blade.html
http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-waffle-weave.html
Old 04-06-12, 09:51 PM
Liferules
Driver

Washed my car the dealership today and had a good experience. Car looks great.

Quick Reply: Free car washes at dealerships.