GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Did You Know This About Your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-12, 06:45 PM
Lexicated
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did You Know This About Your GS?

Since we are all new (or potential) owners of the GS, I thought it would be beneficial to list the things you may not know/noticed or have not had time to read your manual! Especially the things that are not obvious or different. If you have something that is specific to trim (luxury, F sport) or specific option, it would be helpful to mention. If you think of other things, add them on! I have the premium; here are some of the things that I have found interesting (some may be obvious):

1. Lighting around the door and door handles brightens when the car is put in park at night
2. Mood lighting (blue/red instrument cluster) brightness can be adjusted (also brightness adjust in eco based on driving habits)
3. Driver’s seat travel “easy exit” can be adjusted or turned off from setup menu (turned mine off)
4. DVDs play in non-ML
5. LED DRLs can be turned off at the “stalk” or through settings (if left in auto mode)
6. 4 different phone ring settings
7. Mouse (joystick) has feedback adjustments
8. Start-up screen can be changed (can use custom images or one of three installed)
9. Auto E-brake can be turned off (was new to me)
10. Turn on automatic wipers: Press and hold auto button at stalk end
11. Auto reversing mirrors: If L or R is selected, both mirrors tilt down in reverse (L or R must be selected to tilt)
12. Fuel door Locks when doors lock
12.Owner Customization located in owner's manual pages 777-786
13. Noise from rear of vehicle normal after 5 hours of turning off vehicle (fuel evaporation leakage check), Thanks Caddyowner
14. S-flow (on) automatically turns off rear a/c if no passengers (near "Auto" on climate controls)
Owner's manual can be found here: http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...nual-search.do

Last edited by Lexicated; 04-19-12 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-30-12, 07:23 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for these great tips. I should be taking delivery next week and it will be good not to have to plow through the owner's manual to find all these goodies.
Old 03-30-12, 07:51 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When in "Normal" mode, the blue light on instrunment cluster will adjust automatically. It will get brighter when driving more eco friendly. But it will get dimmer and finally completely turn off when keep pressing harder on the gas pedal.
Old 03-30-12, 07:58 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by e39ng
When in "Normal" mode, the blue light on instrunment cluster will adjust automatically. It will get brighter when driving more eco friendly. But it will get dimmer and finally completely turn off when keep pressing harder on the gas pedal.
I finally figured that out today. Its a very nice feature.
Old 03-30-12, 08:02 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I finally figured that out today. Its a very nice feature.
I noticed that and was puzzled for a few days thinking something is wrong with it. But finally I checked the manual and it mentioned about this feature.
Old 03-31-12, 07:12 AM
JaxIS250
Driver

Awesome tips. How do u change the custom opening pict? I work for TMS and my GS is being built in Japan on Tues, and I will get it mid May!!!
Old 03-31-12, 11:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxIS250
Awesome tips. How do u change the custom opening pict? I work for TMS and my GS is being built in Japan on Tues, and I will get it mid May!!!
You can go through the settings selection to change it. There are 3 standard animated sequences and you can upload your own stationary startup image using a jpeg file. It's all in the manual.
Old 03-31-12, 12:07 PM
Got PSI
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone been able to find a pdf version of the manual online? I've been searching around but no luck.
Old 03-31-12, 12:21 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Got PSI
has anyone been able to find a pdf version of the manual online? I've been searching around but no luck.
Here you go:

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...nual-search.do
Old 03-31-12, 12:50 PM
Got PSI
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e39ng
You rock !
Old 03-31-12, 01:45 PM
HizGSF
Driver

Default Auto window down

According to the owner's manual the key fob can be customize to roll down all the windows and open the sunroof my the dealership, has anyone had that done?
Old 03-31-12, 02:13 PM
MarkGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by HizGSF
According to the owner's manual the key fob can be customize to roll down all the windows and open the sunroof my the dealership, has anyone had that done?
My 3gen does this by holding down the unlock for a few seconds. It came programmed this way and required no further customization.

I have heard that the 4gen trunk closer is lacking the self closing feature of the 3gen (not to be confused with the auto close of the LS model). Is this true? Also, no retractable side mirrors?

As minor as these features may seem, I hope I heard wrong and that they are still available features of the 4 gen.
Old 03-31-12, 02:57 PM
HizGSF
Driver

Default Lacking features

Originally Posted by MarkGS
My 3gen does this by holding down the unlock for a few seconds. It came programmed this way and required no further customization.

I have heard that the 4gen trunk closer is lacking the self closing feature of the 3gen (not to be confused with the auto close of the LS model). Is this true? Also, no retractable side mirrors?

As minor as these features may seem, I hope I heard wrong and that they are still available features of the 4 gen.

You're right. These features may seem minor, but they are features that I am accustom to and needs to be added.
Old 03-31-12, 04:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkGS

these are features not available in US GS350... they are both available outside US, with actually full auto close like in LS.

there is still to be seen if GS450h will be different in that regard.
Old 03-31-12, 04:58 PM
Lexicated
Rookie

Wow, I missed the instrument cluster changes based on driving habits in eco, shows I had not used it yet. Thanks.
I also added the pages in the owner’s manual that shows customization and link to owners manual (thanks e39ng)

Last edited by Lexicated; 03-31-12 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Did You Know This About Your GS?