GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 04:32 AM
kssod
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the GS build site there is now a F-Sport package with ML. But, can the ML be added as a stand alone option without the HUD, etc
Old 04-03-12, 08:37 AM
crzyis
Driver

Originally Posted by kssod
On the GS build site there is now a F-Sport package with ML. But, can the ML be added as a stand alone option without the HUD, etc
Yes that's what I have. Check page two I took a picture of my window sticker!!
Old 04-03-12, 09:21 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crzyis
I live in an area where the median home income is 120k + a year so I don't think its going to be a problem but wheel locks are only like 60 bucks off sewell i think so its still no biggie.
Not being a smart @ss but I just read this and now wondering....."What's your point"? I use to live in one of the riches counties in the United States (Google Loudoun County) and random foolishness use to happen all the time. The biggest difference is that media coverage was very little. Why? Because you gotta continue to make folks "think" they are safe.

Okay I get one soap box a day and I am off of it!
Old 04-03-12, 01:36 PM
Howiiieee
Rookie

Originally Posted by crzyis
Not True!!! I just picked up my F-Sport with Mark at Keyes Lexus In Van Nuys! I walked in and it was sitting in the showroom waiting for me!

Dealers just play games and say things to keep your business its that simple!

You are right. After I and other enthusiasts barked around, Lexus finally shipped some GS FS with ML to the West coast. I talked to some dealers and they said they are finally getting them starting last week, 2 months after the launch.

However, my GS FS with ML also have HUD and DRS, which made it even rarer. I am not trading it with anyone for a while for sure.

Funny thing is, this config seems to be quite standard in Louisiana, but not anywhere near the west coast. Who is making the bone headed decision for this?

Last edited by Howiiieee; 04-03-12 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Adding picture
Old 04-03-12, 08:43 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys - hope this isn't a thread hijack here, but I searched elsewhere and couldn't find the answer, so prior to opening up a new forum:

What do you guys find are the optimal sound settings (both ML and premium). I have an F-Sport with premium... and frankly the sound is disappointing. I've been playing music off my iPhone (bluetooth, and plugged in) as well as XM.

I know.. not the greatest sources - but I honestly feel that the sound in my wife's EX35 (Bose) is better. I always thought Bose was just a name - and that the premium Lexus sound system would be better than her Infiniti.

Let me know if there are any tweaks that can be made. When I got the car it had both bass and treble cranked, which was odd. I adjusted them a bit, but only minor improvements.
Old 04-06-12, 08:23 AM
SpEe1113
Driver School Candidate

The ML system sound is fantastic, but the quality is relevant to the source you're playing the music from.

As for settings, I found best to set it 2 clicks towards the rear of the car since the sound seemed a little front heavy.

I increased the mids 2 clicks and the base 1 click. That's about it, but realize you need to do this for every source since each may produce a different quality of sound.

DVDs with surround sound really sound incredible, try one of the Transporter movies or Transformers, definitely quality sound.

When listening to music, certain songs have great percussion/bass sound while others have really crisp cords.

The bluetooth sound can depend on the quality of your bluetooth device as well.

I really don't have many complaints, but do wish the quality of the sound was consistent regardless of the source, but when playing from a quality source the sound is terrific.
Old 04-06-12, 07:37 PM
kssod
Rookie

So, it seems like the ML is superior with DVD-A, and high end encoded music. How much better is it with XM and regular iPod, and CDs than the standard audio. I have a few DVD-A ( Dire Straits, Santana etc) but mostly listen to XM , and FM. How is the standard and ML with these, and HD FM? It still looks like the ML is very difficult to obtain on a F-Sport, even though there now is a new bundle package on the build site.
Old 05-11-12, 12:09 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Default Is Levinson really worth the added expense?

I had a Mark Levinson system on my 2nd Gen GS and have it on my current 3rd Gen. I listen mostly to Sirius and it doesn't sound that great to me. I don't think it is worth the extra money to get it on the 4th Gen. Just my opinion.
Old 05-11-12, 12:12 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup. It's like night-and-day (like the gap between BOSE and a Bang and Olufsen system in an Audi).

Or to put it simply, it's like the difference between ordering a regular sized Sprite versus a Large-sized one (like 24 oz. or more).

Very big difference my friend
Old 05-11-12, 12:45 PM
nantang
Driver

I tested one out on a luxury package ES when I bought my last car, a 2007 ES350. At the time, I felt it was not enough of a difference to justify the expense--but, to be fair, I was testing it out using an iPod. A true audiophile would point out that uncompressed CDs would probably have been a more fair test. I will counter that a good sound system should be able to work with anything.

That said, I'm in a better position now to justify the price difference, and I'm looking forward to listening to the one in my forthcoming GS450h. But, I should note, the choice was pretty easy, since it was included in the only car available.

Given my lifestyle, the Mark Levinson audio had some advantages even back in 2007. I do most of my music listening on the road, and I use both CD-R and iPod. Given support for DVDs, I will be able to fit seven times as much information per disc than I am doing with CD-Rs right now. However, I noticed that the regular GS audio system also supports DVD and even 5.1 audio. The Mark Levinson system supports 7.1, though finding 6.1 and 7.1 sources is hard enough even with Blu-Ray movies, let alone DVD audio. (Come to think of it, my only 5.1 audio outside of my DVDs and Blu-Rays is a DVD-audio of Blue Man Group.)
Old 05-11-12, 12:46 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I listened to both today and thought the ML sounded better. Is it $1380 better? I am not sure.
Old 05-11-12, 03:02 PM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ML on my GS4. I am still wondering if it was worth it. The head unit is now just a single disk (previously 6 disk), so the majority of my time in the car I am listening to: Pandora Radio, FM Radio, or XM. All don't sound nearly as good as a CD. I don't buy CD's anymore. I may make a disk with a ton of MP3's, but those will all be compressed and not sound as good.

Question: Does media today being so compressed limit the clarity I would notice with the ML vs Normal Lexus stereo?

Am I wrong?
Old 05-11-12, 04:42 PM
wlmngtn310
Driver

I would say yes. I have a non ML on my 4GS and the sound system sucks! My bose on the Infiniti sounded 100x better.
Old 05-11-12, 04:58 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

If you listen to mostly XM, there may not be a major improvement.
Old 05-11-12, 05:00 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blackraven
yup. It's like night-and-day (like the gap between BOSE and a Bang and Olufsen system in an Audi).

Or to put it simply, it's like the difference between ordering a regular sized Sprite versus a Large-sized one (like 24 oz. or more).

Very big difference my friend
B & O is just flash.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio