GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Parted ways after three weeks!

Old 03-29-12, 11:38 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*

OP - Are you able to recover the sales tax you paid?
Now that you mention it, I will look into it.
Old 03-29-12, 12:29 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^
Can you recover sales tax? It makes certain sense since if I return any other item I get the sales tax back. However, I don't have to title other purchases with the state. Hmm...
Old 03-29-12, 01:59 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smart decision... happiness and comfort > material things so whats next?
Old 03-29-12, 02:29 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
Now that you mention it, I will look into it.
This is why I title my cars in Montana. The tax regime punishes people for changing cars frequently which is stupid since buying a car frequently stimulates the economy.

Governments are typically run by monkeys.
Old 03-29-12, 03:26 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

^^
Yeah, no kidding says the guy from MI where you pay 6% on the sales price of the car - trade-in is not deducted.
Old 03-29-12, 06:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

rominl, after purchasing the 4G, you have no idea how much time I spent comparing the interior dimension of the 4G with the interior dimensions of the 535 and E Class!! On paper they are all similar but seriously I don't see it nor do I believe it! The rear cabin of the 535 and E Class are not cavernous by any means, but feel roomier than the rear cabin of the 4G.

My test is to set the driver's seat to my desired setting and then jump behind the driver's seat to assess the remaining room.

As for trunk space, they all are about the same to me.
that's also exactly why i wanted to know what you think. i am the kind of person that don't give a damn on spec numbers. in reality when you are in the car, how you feel as a passenger, is exactly what counts. i myself think the 4gs is a great improvement (over the 3gs), but somehow i feel that the e still give me more space, and 5 series feel a bit bigger but very close to the 4gs.

believe me when i say it, i value a lot on how you compare the cars and think. you seem very objective and unbiased, you care about what you get from the car, not just quote the numbers and declare a win

Old 03-29-12, 09:04 PM
Lexicated
Rookie

For a lot of people it's not just a car. If that was the case, any car would do right?
Funny, I read your other post and was thinking I've met another car addict like myself. I've had several vehicles as well and find your take interesting. I've been the opposite, but it may because I had lots of Japanese cars in my younger days. I prefer the interior styling of Lexus vs. German competition, but I think Lexus has been conservative on the exteriors.

Hate to hear you were disappointed with your GS. We traded a 328ic after a short period. My wife fell in love with it in the showroom, but quickly became disappointed. We ended up back with her all-time favorite, an IS. I promised her I would not trade it! She really likes the GS as well.
Old 03-29-12, 09:29 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexicated
Funny, I read your other post and was thinking I've met another car addict like myself. I've had several vehicles as well and find your take interesting. I've been the opposite, but it may because I had lots of Japanese cars in my younger days. I prefer the interior styling of Lexus vs. German competition, but I think Lexus has been conservative on the exteriors.

Hate to hear you were disappointed with your GS. We traded a 328ic after a short period. My wife fell in love with it in the showroom, but quickly became disappointed. We ended up back with her all-time favorite, an IS. I promised her I would not trade it! She really likes the GS as well.
What's up fellow car addict! I've had my fair share of Japanese cars.....2 Acuras, 4 Mazdas, 1 Honda, 2 Toyota...the list goes on and on. I only became interested in German cars 5 years ago and have owned a handful since. The one thing the Japanese brands had in common is they were COMPLETELY PROBLEM FREE! I too prefer the interior styling of Lexus vs German competition (with the exception of Audi) and after owning the GS, I will never look at the E Class the same. It falls way short in the interior and overall ride.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 03-29-12 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-29-12, 09:51 PM
Lexicated
Rookie

What's up fellow car addict! I've had my fair share of Japanese cars.....2 Acuras, 4 Mazdas, 1 Honda, 2 Toyota...the list goes on and on. I only became interested in German cars 5 years ago and have owned several since. The one thing they all had in common is COMPLETELY PROBLEM FREE! I too prefer the interior styling of Lexus vs German competition (with the exception of Audi) and after owning the GS, I will never look at the E Class the same. It falls way short in the interior and overall ride.
We need help

I agree with the Audi interior, I think Lexus copied many of their design cues, and the LED DRLs, which everyone is copying. I give the Germans an edge dynamically, if only they had an autobahn in Japan! At least Lexus is starting realize the importance of dynamics to bring in younger buyers.
Old 03-30-12, 05:57 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

As long as cars & trucks are my only addictive behavior, I figure I'm OK. At least I provide entertainment to my family and neighbors trying to guess how long before the next vehicle change in my stable.
Old 03-30-12, 06:07 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I am somewhat a car addict as well but I am fortunate (or unfortunate) to have a spouse who can keep my addict under control. Without her I will probably buy a new car every 2 years. So far we only bought 4 new cars in the last 5 years. My neighbor thought that I am loaded since we have 2 new Lexus parked in the garage but no we are just the middle classmen who enjoy cars and NO other addictions.
Old 03-30-12, 06:58 AM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has an es350 and I have a gs300. Last week we ended up at a Mercedes dealer. She loved the c300/350 model. Again, bland interiors, stiffer ride than our cars. That said, the overall handling dynamics seemed nice and that is where the older GS suffers. It can be twitchy on the hwy, particularly at higher speeds and in windy conditions, watch out. I don't use summer tires but have touring tires on her so may have less grip. We decided against trading in her ES. Plus, the Benz drinks premium, the same as her 07 ES. Gas increased 10 cents here in one week. I paid 409.9 at Costco yesterday. Gas prices really suck. Prius anyone? (know I'll here some crap now) lol
Old 03-30-12, 08:02 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
My wife has an es350 and I have a gs300. Last week we ended up at a Mercedes dealer. She loved the c300/350 model. Again, bland interiors, stiffer ride than our cars. That said, the overall handling dynamics seemed nice and that is where the older GS suffers. It can be twitchy on the hwy, particularly at higher speeds and in windy conditions, watch out. I don't use summer tires but have touring tires on her so may have less grip. We decided against trading in her ES. Plus, the Benz drinks premium, the same as her 07 ES. Gas increased 10 cents here in one week. I paid 409.9 at Costco yesterday. Gas prices really suck. Prius anyone? (know I'll here some crap now) lol
Several months back when I had an E Class on order, I was given a 2012 C Class to drive while waiting. Although i am 6-1 and the C was obviously way too small, I kinda took a liking to the vehicle. A lil sporty....a lil stylish....uumph when I needed it.....sure footed....and only sucked gas when I hit the "S"port button. Not bad at all if you all decide to go that route.
Old 03-30-12, 10:18 AM
Leo23
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's up fellow car addict! I've had my fair share of Japanese cars.....2 Acuras, 4 Mazdas, 1 Honda, 2 Toyota...the list goes on and on. I only became interested in German cars 5 years ago and have owned a handful since. The one thing the Japanese brands had in common is they were COMPLETELY PROBLEM FREE! I too prefer the interior styling of Lexus vs German competition (with the exception of Audi) and after owning the GS, I will never look at the E Class the same. It falls way short in the interior and overall ride.
I guess it's never too late, right?

I'm 47. When I grew up, in Italy, I was excited about cars somewhat. I owned a Volvo 240, big for Italian standards back in the days, then an Audi 100 and then when I moved to NY I lost completely interest in cars. Maybe because I was busy with other things in life, or maybe because I felt that I did not need I car in NY.*Anyhow I ended up buying a Lexus gs in 2001 to fill the void. I loved the smoothness of the drive and the low noise level. I have always been a happy camper with it and I owned until 2 months ago.
On a cold day, in January, the car did not start- the battery was down. Suddenly something happened to me, it seemed like I woke up from a very long sleep. Suddenly I wanted a new car! I haven't tought about it for such a long time, it didn't cross my mind. For me it felt like spring!
The day after I was out and about car. Back in January the 4gs was not out yet and I was planning a drive to FL in February, so I wanted a new car ASAP. I ended up buying a new 3GS. Impulsively, thou. I just wanted the reliability and comfort of Lexus.*

After 2 month of ownership I'm now thinking with which car to replace it and I keep on looking the cars on the streets and parking lots. I read posts here, and I'm learning the new technologies and so on. *

The morale of this story is that... I think I'm affected by a reversed condition of yours (according to your thread-link posted earlier). I keep on thinking which car to get next.

No doubt, if I waited another month I would have ended up buying the 4gs. But, even if I bought the latest and greatest, I'm afraid I would be still thinking what's next!*
It's probably a temporary addiction, I hope...
Old 03-30-12, 11:15 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To O.P,

No worries. Its your happiness that matters the most!! I traded in my 2011 BMW 535i xdrive for the GS F-sport. The BMW felt sloppy, choppy, numb, and isolating and its a weird car all together and un-BMW like. The GS is amazing, smooth, sharp, exhilarating, and advance in every way. The rear room space is a huge step over the older GS and the 5. My father who is 5'11 can now fit in the rear seat with enough leg room than my BMW 5. I am happy to say that the Lexus feels and rides better than the BMW 5 and E-Class and even the A6.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parted ways after three weeks!