GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Stone chips... Damn

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 07:50 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jj14
In some states, that is not legal (I know that covering the headlights with clear bra in TX is not legal)
can you reference the transportation code that specifies that?
the film is clear and does not noticeably change light color, intensity, or beam pattern.

i actually just had a car clear bra'd in DFW, and the 4 different places i got quotes from all did headlight/foglight covers.
Old 03-21-12, 07:59 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a 'fix-it' ticket last year for my ES that had the "clear" headlight cover.

To be honest, I didn't agree with the ticket. The TX DPS site states the following as one of the reasons to fail inspection:

04.20.16 - 6.s
"Head lamp is covered by any lens or cover located in front of the head lamp which is any shade or color other than clear."
(http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...l/chapter4.htm)

The definition of clear is what the officer disagreed. I said that it was "clear" - He asked for some proof that indicated that the clear shield was DOT approved for use on a head lamp. I didn't have one, and hence the ticket. (I later checked with the installer and he said that none of them have the DOT approval - because there is a possibility that the heat from the headlamp could cause the adhesive to break apart or haze - even if it was only water/alcohol mixture - go figure - or that it could yellow after some time)

Last edited by jj14; 03-21-12 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-21-12, 08:04 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caveman
the film is clear and does not noticeably change light color, intensity, or beam pattern.

i actually just had a car clear bra'd in DFW, and the 4 different places i got quotes from all did headlight/foglight covers.

It's true here in NY but they are mostly talking about those dark colored headlight covers everyone was using a few years ago. Same is true for license plate covers and just gave them an excuse to pull you over. So unless you get stopped for something else and was being an azz to the cop to cause him to walk around your car and get you for every violation, there shouldn't be an issue.

But I don't see where putting the clear bra on a heat source like the headlamp is going to last long enough to be worth doing.
Old 03-21-12, 08:24 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
So unless you get stopped for something else and was being an azz to the cop to cause him to walk around your car and get you for every violation, there shouldn't be an issue.
I agree.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
But I don't see where putting the clear bra on a heat source like the headlamp is going to last long enough to be worth doing.
It actually lasted me about 6-7 years before the cop had me remove it. No yellowing, no peeling, no cracks - there was a very slight haze to it though - but I'm guessing that if I hadn't put that on, the headlamp glass would have had the same haze too.
Old 03-21-12, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, talk about stupid laws
Old 03-21-12, 08:47 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It actually lasted me about 6-7 years before the cop had me remove it. No yellowing, no peeling, no cracks - there was a very slight haze to it though - but I'm guessing that if I hadn't put that on, the headlamp glass would have had the same haze too.
sounds like that cop was having a bad day and wanted to be a hard azz.

my gs300 also has the headlight covers for about 6 years now, and its still clear with no haze.

one of my reasons for wanting headlight covers was to prevent that headlight lens yellowing/hazing on cars that are 6+ years old.
Old 03-21-12, 10:08 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Or sand blasting rock chips on the lens, after years of FWY driving....

Really, if properly installed you can't even SEE the clear paint protection film that is usually applied to the front clip of a car...

I've had the "clear bra" installed on my last three Lexus' in the course 10 years plus...

Worth every penny!!!!

~ Joe Z

P.S. - First time I heard of someone getting a ticket for clear bra on a headlight... That’s crazy..
Old 03-21-12, 10:18 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

In all fairness, it was a "fix-it" ticket, so at least it didn't ding my driving record or cost me anything.. but yes, he had pulled me over (because he thought I was using HOV lane alone - didn't see my daughter in the back seat) and probably wanted to justify pulling me over, and didn't find anything else wrong... <--purely a guess on my part.

Whatever
Old 03-21-12, 11:39 AM
tomoshort
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with one of the execs who handles warranty issues on the Chipprotect product. He told me they use to use 30 mil material on the headlights but because of issues with heat and difficulties in making it meet the contours, they now use an 8 mil version. I was told it stopped the aforementioned issues and gives good performance.
Old 03-22-12, 04:17 PM
chrislee
Driver School Candidate

I was just quoted $500 to do just the front bumper from San Diego Tint. They seem to be a little more expensive that other shops but I think they are worth the premium price.
Old 03-22-12, 04:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by chrislee
I was just quoted $500 to do just the front bumper from San Diego Tint. They seem to be a little more expensive that other shops but I think they are worth the premium price.
just the front bumper? that's crazy.

aerotect up here in LA area is one of the good shops, a lot of socal people go there. my sc430, ls460l, and gs350 all done there. i haven't checked for a while, but i think for around 500-600, you should be able to get the front bumper, partial hood and fenders, and mirrors already. unless the 4gs is that really super hard to wrap, but i doubt price diff would be that big
Old 03-22-12, 05:12 PM
chrislee
Driver School Candidate

yes it is more expensive than other lexus models because of it's complexity. They also have not done one yet.
Old 03-22-12, 06:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by chrislee
yes it is more expensive than other lexus models because of it's complexity. They also have not done one yet.
i still doubt it will be that expensive to make 500 just for bumper. just my feeling though, it would be a big ouch if so
Old 03-22-12, 06:40 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caveman

It is techinically illegal to put anything on your headlights here... but I install film on lights all the time. 99% of the cops would not even know it was on there even if I showed them. I typically find dealerships wont include it in the installs I do for them as they dont want the liability if anything happens. So I dont install headlights at dealerships but do for clients all the time. Its really a must as it prevents hazing due to oxidation.
Old 03-22-12, 06:59 PM
chrislee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
i still doubt it will be that expensive to make 500 just for bumper. just my feeling though, it would be a big ouch if so
there window tint was $50 more than another quote I got but I know their quality is better.

I am going to visit another shop tomorrow to get another quote.